Wind River Range: Green River Lakes/Clarks Trail/Porcupine Creek Trail

Rivet

Planning this loop for the August/September timeframe of 2023. Trying to sneak in after the bugs have peaked but hopefully still be able to catch a trout or two along the way. Looks to be about 34 miles starting and returning to the Green River Lakes TH parking lot. Probably a 4 night trip. I have been to GRL on several occasions dry camping in a small RV. This will be my first multi-day hike into the Winds. I have reviewed many posts and watched several videos of various trips in this area and am wondering about bear encounters. Obviously, this is both black and grizzly territory and we plan to follow the appropriate precautions, but I don't hear or see many posts about bear encounters in the Winds. Certainly being bear aware is the key and practicing proper bear and food etiquette is planned. What has been your experiences with bears in the Winds?

Stan

Never seen any..... but still carry bear spray and ursack. They are around.

Saw three black bears on a late September trip last year - one on Clear Creek on the way up to Faler Lake and two by Double Lake on the Glacier Trail, but that was out of the ordinary. Normally not much visible bear activity in the Winds, but they're definitely out there.

There was a "problem" black bear (or bears) at Big Sandy for a few years, too, but I haven't been through there recently.

My only encounter was exiting Scab Ck solo during a thunder/hail storm, mid-Sept. It was dusk when I saw motion about 30 ft ahead. Looked like a black bear with no cubs. I had already done about 15 miles, had wet gear and wanted to get to the truck before weather worsened. So I just struck my poles on the nearest boulder and it shot off.

Bear reports, including griz on the East side, especially near Bull Lake Ck. Even have confirmed reports at Cook Lakes out of Elkhart. There was a griz preying on cattle in the Upper Green several years back but they relocated that bear. This year there was a report of a black bear around the Cirque. Too many careless folks. If there is any known danger, you'll see a post at the TH.

I carry spray when solo and especially on the N end. Ursack + Opsack for storage. Used to hang but had too many "hang ups" and getting a good hang is tough out there.

Back