Wind River Range, easy peaks to climb

Nodust

Hello, I love reading this site although rarely post.

We are planning a trip to the Winds late next summer. Most likely in the Cirque of the Towers area. Not really sure how many day(hopefully 6 or more) and planning on hiking shorter miles per day but making some side trips to some interesting peaks or ridgelines.

What are some peaks that would not require ropes and technical gear but maybe a little tougher than just a hike to the top. I want to climb Mitchell Peak to get some good views of the Cirque and that one looks like a fairly easy climb. Any others you could recommend.

Mt Hooker looks like it has an easy route up and we are planning on camping in that area at least one night. Any must see lakes or waterfalls in the area?

Thanks in advance.

Off top of my head Wind River Peak in the south. Fremont Peak by Titcomb. I know others will chime in......Art?

I'm not really into peak bagging, but a lot of the peaks that people use gear to climb up also have ways to hike/scramble up and down. I think Haystack is one example - it has a very interesting looking descent route for the climb that could probably just as easily be used to hike up/down. @Artemus?

Although I don't have specific info about your plans, I do have a good recommendation.

For any extensive hiking or climbing in the Wind's, you really want Joe Kelsey's book on the range. I've followed the aformentioned @Artemus on a few of his routes, and they did not disapoint. Any tip for a hiker looking for a non roped climb is to look for "walk offs" in climbing literature.

Although I don't have specific info about your plans, I do have a good recommendation.

For any extensive hiking or climbing in the Wind's, you really want Joe Kelsey's book on the range. I've followed the aformentioned @Artemus on a few of his routes, and they did not disapoint. Any tip for a hiker looking for a non roped climb is to look for "walk offs" in climbing literature.

I've got that book already. Been reading through it.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My list of great walk-ups in the Windies is of near infinite length. Joe is probably the world's expert traveler and publisher of these routes and this range. Interestingly he just wrote an autobiography that will be a cherished-read once I order it. His book Danny mentioned is a must have for any Winds traveler due to the nature of the Winds - a somewhat unusual range in that almost all peaks have a hard side and a walk off side. This is a consistent rule of thumb there - more than any place I've been to. So read Joe's peak descriptions and look for the descent routes. He is a distant friend and occasional climbing partner.

Around the Circus: Mitchell is a great choice. Both Temples. The Warrior Towers from the southwest. Wind River Peak. PM if you want more near the Circus - so I can understand your capability and tolerance.

Last edited:
Here, @Nodust, I offer up this teaser pic taken from the top of Wind River Peak looking norte. Your tic list is in view - offered in trade for telling us what you accomplished once you accomplished it :twothumbs:

If this doesn't stir your mountain-top desires I don't know what will.

11703559_10207323305747437_8522383342048748254_o.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not really into peak bagging, but a lot of the peaks that people use gear to climb up also have ways to hike/scramble up and down. I think Haystack is one example - it has a very interesting looking descent route for the climb that could probably just as easily be used to hike up/down. @Artemus?
Haystack's descent is a bit dicey if you aren't a climber and don't rappel.... For some.. 4th class.

This is the approximate route we are thinking of taking. I would love to see Titcomb basin but would rather spend more time in one area than rushing through.

If anyone has comments on our route or better options. Looking to spend 5-8 days. We can expand our plans if we have 8 days. That route is more of a 5-6 day.
I've walked this. Grave lake's northeastern sandy beach is to-die-for. On the lake we had a bald eagle land in our camp spot tree and we got swooped by a silent Great Gray owl while skinny dipping in the lake at dusk. w00t!

Advice: slow down and climb more peaks :moses:

Last edited:
I own the first edition of Joe's book. Do I need the latest edition?
Wayne

I've walked this. Grave lake's northeastern sandy beach is to die for. On the lake we had a bald eagle land in our camspot tree and we got swooped by a silent Great Gray owl while skinny dipping in the lake at dusk. w00t!

Advice: slow down and climb more peaks :moses:

Ah man. Getting excited for this trip. Like a kid waiting for Christmas.

I second Wind River Peak. Highest thing around, easy walk-up from a couple different directions.

Edit - I put together/did a route of a similar length this Labor Day - Goes over the beautiful Temple Pass, includes an ascent of Wind River Peak as part of the loop. One off-trail pass that does involve some light bushwhacking but nothing that you can't handle with some solid navigational skills and paying attention. If you wanted to expand the route, you could even go over Lizard Head Pass, Washakie Pass, and Texas Pass rather than just following the Popo Agie to the Cirque from Pinto Park Click here to view on CalTopo

Last edited:
I own the first edition of Joe's book. Do I need the latest edition?
Wayne

The new 3rd edition has had some additions/edits. It may not be a must have if you have the first edition but it has much better pictures. AND it helps support a guy who spent his life gaining the personal experience and the knowledge from other travelers to write such a good resource. He guided there for many years.

Artemis,
Thank you. It makes a lot of sense to have the latest information.
Wayne

Does anyone know if Wind River Peak is easily climbed from Black Joe Lake? I did a route this summer circling around Black Joe Lake into that basin just NW of Wind River Peak and it was such a pretty area with NO people around. It would be cool to hit up Wind River Peak from there.

Does anyone know if Wind River Peak is easily climbed from Black Joe Lake? I did a route this summer circling around Black Joe Lake into that basin just NW of Wind River Peak and it was such a pretty area with NO people around. It would be cool to hit up Wind River Peak from there.
I vaguely remember it could be - or maybe it was a technical climb. Might be in Pallister's book.

You have any pics of that upper Black Joe basin - above the lake. I've been meaning to back up in there. Nancy Pallister describes a way to backpack out and to the east/southeast from the north end of the lake. Sounds spicey.

Last edited:
This is looking into the basin. I didn't actually go up in there, next time I plan on doing that. There are a few small ponds and tarns up below East Temple that look pretty sweet. I got the feeling very few people go in the area, we saw signs of one other person having been there but other then that it was completely pristine. Getting around Black Joe was kind of a slog as you had to climb up and over some cliffs on the north side of the lake, but overall not too bad.

Attachments

• 14068335_1115073221862113_3160247697665918063_o.jpg
    14068335_1115073221862113_3160247697665918063_o.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 62
Here, @Nodust, I offer up this teaser pic taken from the top of Wind River Peak looking norte. Your tic list is in view - offered in trade for telling us what you accomplished once you accomplished it :twothumbs:

If this doesn't stir your mountain-top desires I don't know what will.

View attachment 49583

Sorry Art, it doesn't make me want to go out and climb peaks just to get to the top....... hehe