Wind River Mountains Snowpack 2019/2020

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

Artemus

I walk
Well it has begun. Seems like the snow has just melted off, and in actuality, it never did in some places. But in the snow model it was gone and now our first snowstorm of the new season has it back in plenty. Only a few weeks left of backcountry travel near the continental divide.

Last edited:

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

Wanderlust073

Nice. Supposed to see a bit above treeline this week down here as well. Be scraping off the skis soon enough!

Jackson

I like to go outside.
I just need the big snowstorms to hold off for one more month so I can round out the trips I had planned.

But if it does dump snow before then, I'll mostly be happy. Water is good!

OldBill

I'm there Sept 12-28 so hope the storms hold off for most of that. The last week was certainly rough, but next 10-14 days looks good (though I don't really trust any forecast longer than a few days out). Good news is that's definitely the end of any mosquitoes, and maybe it'll help fishing.

Seems like this is typical Sept weather for the Winds: a week of cold/snow between really nice weather. 2 years ago, I got stuck with almost 2 wks of bad weather.

After seeing last week's weather, I upgraded my puffy from the Rab Strata to the Arcterex Cerium LT and bought a pair of REI Activator pants. Hopefully the Cerium will keep me warmer when in camp or fishing. The Strata's great for active movement in cold weather (like sleet storms going over Hay Pass). Also have an unhooded R1 for added warmth (and a good pillow).

Last edited:

Bob

Trailmaster
Winter is not quite yet.....fires are ramping up for a late season push.

OldBill

If this forecast is right, at around 11K there's 3" of new snow tomorrow but looks like it won't last long. Hopefully this helps the fire danger and doesn't make the trails in a muddy slog.