Wind River Mountains Conditions 2018

I recall that Pallister posts somewhat regularly on the high Sierra Topix forum, if it's any help for your search.

How come no one looks a Sweetwater the going in? It's excelkent, not crowded all the way to Ice lakes...and access to Fremont peak / tayo lakeis good....

Laat year we found the trail from Big Sandy busy going in on Labor Day, after we hiked up Jackass Pass the next day we hardly saw anyone at all until coming back out again. We did a 60+ mile loop route over 5 1/2 days that included the Cirque of the Towers, Lizard Head Pass, Hailey Pass, Grave Lake. It was stunning. We are doing a northern loop route this year at the end of August that is slighty longer due to the side trip into Titcomb Basin. I can't wait for this trip...last year's hike was the best I've done.

We all carried Ursacks but we still hung our food too and I carry bear spray up there although I rarely carry it elsewhere. No need for a bear can.

Had a black bear tear into a tent in the middle of the night while in the Winds. A guy in our group left candy in it. The bear also devoured insect repellent and tooth paste. I definitely put everything with a scent into a canister now!

Spent the weekend in the environs of Dad's Lake, Skull Lake, etc. out of Big Sandy. Snow is nearly entirely gone everywhere but up high. Looks fairly sparse up high as well in that area.

What was not sparse was mosquitos. We had a hell of a time with those guys.

Going in to island lake /titcomb starting tomorrow.

How were the temps? I spent the past few days in the NE corner of Yellowstone. One day I had to go sit by lake Yellowstone for the afternoon and cool off in the breeze because it was like 90 everywhere else.

Going in to island lake /titcomb starting tomorrow.

How were the temps? I spent the past few days in the NE corner of Yellowstone. One day I had to go sit by lake Yellowstone for the afternoon and cool off in the breeze because it was like 90 everywhere else.
It was actually quite warm. We probably had mid 70s during the afternoon with mid to high 40s at night. I hadn't spent any time on that end of the winds before, so I don't know if that's normal or warmer than normal.

That sounds reasonable for those elevations. I have done a couple trips this time of year staying much higher and it was terrible cold. My first backpacking trip we did a loop that skirted treeline out of Elkhart and I only had a 40deg bag and it wasn't bad. So it just depends on the fickleness of the weather I guess. I do like it when the nights don't get too cold.

How about backpackers. Was it crowded?
Not crowded. We saw maybe 10-15 small groups total on the trail, but everyone was pretty spread out. No one else was camped anywhere near us.

Trailhead was pretty full. I think most were headed toward the Cirque instead of the direction we went.

Spent the weekend in the environs of Dad's Lake, Skull Lake, etc. out of Big Sandy. Snow is nearly entirely gone everywhere but up high. Looks fairly sparse up high as well in that area.

I was in the Cirque of the Towers last weekend and agree. Mosquitoes were unbearable and I didn't have adequate repellent. Armed myself with proper repellent at the fly shop in Pinedale and had a much more enjoable time at Titcomb.

Temps were warm. I would be surprised if they got into the 40's at night.

I was in the Cirque of the Towers last weekend and agree. Mosquitoes were unbearable and I didn't have adequate repellent. Armed myself with proper repellent at the fly shop in Pinedale and had a much more enjoable time at Titcomb.

Temps were warm. I would be surprised if they got into the 40's at night.
Agree. Titcomb was fine, cirque area was awful.

Thanks for the info. @Jackson, @Nodust and @LarryBoy. Makes the decision of where in the Winds a lot easier for my trip.

Here is a pic of the Cirque if you want to see how much snow is there. Taken on July 9.
973576a9cb27b1701adaea471a92e437.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What was your favorite camp spot? Looking to do a loop from Big Sandy trailhead.

Hiked an in/out trip to the Island Lake/Titcomb Basin area from the 16-19th. Pretty warm overall--the nights might have gotten into the 40s, certainly no colder. Some super sunny skies, and the days were actually quite warm if there were no clouds. Some storms and hail rolled through while we dayhiked the Titcomb from Island. Bugs are certainly there, but not the worst I've ever seen. Headnets were nice in the evenings.

Hiked an in/out trip to the Island Lake/Titcomb Basin area from the 16-19th. Pretty warm overall--the nights might have gotten into the 40s, certainly no colder. Some super sunny skies, and the days were actually quite warm if there were no clouds. Some storms and hail rolled through while we dayhiked the Titcomb from Island. Bugs are certainly there, but not the worst I've ever seen. Headnets were nice in the evenings.
Titcomb is pretty much the only place without horrendous bugs right now. Definitely the place to be...

Also, trip report? :)