Wind River 2

westy

A much anticipated loop from Elkhart to Elkhart. I've wanted to visit the Alpine/Brown Cliffs lakes for a long time and this was it. Weather started out boring for the first 4-5 days, but then got some clouds for more interesting light. I LOVE the forested rolling domes of the pole creek area ! Some of the most enchanting forest I have ever trekked thru. Creek crossings were very mild here, no searching up n' down stream for a rocky path to hop across. Less wildflowers, and still no wildlife but birds n' bugs. And an eclipse ! Viewed from near the top of the pass to Brown Cliffs from NF Bull Creek side. Very cool. I was so busy just experiencing it I didn't even attempt a photo. Was so proud of myself ! Rugged back there, it was exhausting working thru the boulders down to the lower BC lakes from the pass. But no matter how strenuous and frustrating it gets, once I hit easier terrain (or even if I don't, and it is still just stunning to look around me and see where I am) it is all worth while and more. I came off the trail with blisters and a swollen ankle, minus 1/3 of a trekking pole due to an unplanned cornice collapse, 3 toe nails black and gonna fall off eventually, and a stuffy head due to allergies. And still I cried (figuratively) at the thought of having to come home after 2 months of hiking, visiting friends and family, and backpacking. I need to figure out some get rich quick scam so I can do what I want, when I want, and not have to worry about money.

Day 1 to Island Lake -

_MG_3037.jpg

Day 2 to Shangri La -

_MG_3061.jpg
_MG_3070.jpg
_MG_3075.jpg
_MG_3076.jpg
_MG_3083.jpg

Day 3 day hike NF Bull Creek -

_MG_3105.jpg
_MG_3116.jpg

Day 4 to Brown Cliffs lakes -

_MG_3132.jpg
_MG_3141.jpg
_MG_3164.jpg
_MG_3173.jpg
_MG_3178.jpg

Day 5 to Upper Golden lake -

_MG_3201.jpg
_MG_3206.jpg
_MG_3208.jpg
_MG_3218.jpg
_MG_3233.jpg
_MG_3243.jpg

Day 6 to lower Pole Creek -

_MG_3253.jpg
_MG_3259.jpg
_MG_3265.jpg
_MG_3288.jpg
_MG_3310.jpg
_MG_3343.jpg

Day 7 to Elkhart Park -

_MG_3352.jpg
_MG_3358.jpg
_MG_3359.jpg
_MG_3361.jpg
_MG_3362.jpg

Very nice. I did almost the same exact loop in reverse in 2013. Probably my favorite backpacking trip. There are some areas I definitely want to go back to someday on that loop.

I need to figure out some get rich quick scam so I can do what I want, when I want, and not have to worry about money.

I suspect we all feel that way :)
Great photos

A much anticipated loop from Elkhart to Elkhart. I've wanted to visit the Alpine/Brown Cliffs lakes for a long time and this was it. Weather started out boring for the first 4-5 days, but then got some clouds for more interesting light. I LOVE the forested rolling domes of the pole creek area ! Some of the most enchanting forest I have ever trekked thru. Creek crossings were very mild here, no searching up n' down stream for a rocky path to hop across. Less wildflowers, and still no wildlife but birds n' bugs. And an eclipse ! Viewed from near the top of the pass to Brown Cliffs from NF Bull Creek side. Very cool. I was so busy just experiencing it I didn't even attempt a photo. Was so proud of myself ! Rugged back there, it was exhausting working thru the boulders down to the lower BC lakes from the pass. But no matter how strenuous and frustrating it gets, once I hit easier terrain (or even if I don't, and it is still just stunning to look around me and see where I am) it is all worth while and more. I came off the trail with blisters and a swollen ankle, minus 1/3 of a trekking pole due to an unplanned cornice collapse, 3 toe nails black and gonna fall off eventually, and a stuffy head due to allergies. And still I cried (figuratively) at the thought of having to come home after 2 months of hiking, visiting friends and family, and backpacking. I need to figure out some get rich quick scam so I can do what I want, when I want, and not have to worry about money.

Day 1 to Island Lake -

View attachment 57401

Day 2 to Shangri La -

View attachment 57402
View attachment 57403
View attachment 57404
View attachment 57405
View attachment 57406

View attachment 57407
View attachment 57408

View attachment 57409
View attachment 57410
View attachment 57411
View attachment 57412
View attachment 57413

View attachment 57414
View attachment 57415
View attachment 57416
View attachment 57417
View attachment 57418
View attachment 57419

View attachment 57420
View attachment 57421
View attachment 57422
View attachment 57423
View attachment 57424
View attachment 57425

Day 7 to Elkhart Park -

View attachment 57426
View attachment 57427
View attachment 57428
View attachment 57429
View attachment 57430
I suspect we all feel that way :)
Great photos
A much anticipated loop from Elkhart to Elkhart. I've wanted to visit the Alpine/Brown Cliffs lakes for a long time and this was it. Weather started out boring for the first 4-5 days, but then got some clouds for more interesting light. I LOVE the forested rolling domes of the pole creek are

Day 1 to Island Lake -

View attachment 57401

Day 2 to Shangri La -

View attachment 57402
View attachment 57403
View attachment 57404
View attachment 57405
View attachment 57406

View attachment 57407
View attachment 57408

View attachment 57409
View attachment 57410
View attachment 57411
View attachment 57412
View attachment 57413

View attachment 57414
View attachment 57415
View attachment 57416
View attachment 57417
View attachment 57418
View attachment 57419

View attachment 57420
View attachment 57421
View attachment 57422
View attachment 57423
View attachment 57424
View attachment 57425

Day 7 to Elkhart Park -

View attachment 57426
View attachment 57427
View attachment 57428
View attachment 57429
View attachment 57430

I love that "still I cried" part. We always forget the hard part and remember all the experiences, don't we?
Thanks!

Very nice. I did almost the same exact loop in reverse in 2013. Probably my favorite backpacking trip. There are some areas I definitely want to go back to someday on that loop.

I thought about that, but was unsure of conditions on Knife Point "Glacier". Would have rather been skunked trying to go down it and having to adjust plans, than having to turn around and go out the same way after 4 days just to get there. pretty country for sure.

Definitely makes me think I need to add the Winds to my bucket list...

I thought about that, but was unsure of conditions on Knife Point "Glacier". Would have rather been skunked trying to go down it and having to adjust plans, than having to turn around and go out the same way after 4 days just to get there. pretty country for sure.

We actually ended up taking a long and strange all rock route instead of going up knife point glacier. it may have been unnecessary, but we almost got turned back by an ice field in bloody hell pass. ended up doing some solid scrambling around that so we didn't even try knife point glacier. it did all work out in the end.