Willow Gulch from Hole in the Rock

XID_AZ

I'm planning a packrafting trip in mid-April, where I will go in via Willow Gulch, paddle over to Fifty Mile and hike back out to HITR road. I plan on doing this over 3 days.
What i'm trying to figure out is where to park so that when I come out of Fifty Mile and hit HITR, i'll not have a long road walk back to my truck.
My original thought had been to drop my pack off at the main Willow Gulch trailhead parking area (Green box) and then drive back down HITR and park near the Fifty Mile/HITR junction. Then road walk back to the trailhead, pick up my pack and hike into Willow and camp near Broken Bow arch.
Taking a closer look at Google Earth, it looks like I could start where Willow Creek meets HITR (Blue box) and then hike up the creek bed until I get into Willow Gulch proper (Purple circle).
Willow-HITR.jpg

When I zoom in and follow the creek bed, it appears to be doable, but there are some shadow areas and i'd hate to hit a dryfall that I can't see and have to hoof it back to the road.
Does anyone have any experience with entering Willow near HITR or know of any other good more direct routes to avoid winding around HITR and then up BLM 276?

Water level is very low .... Lots of mud and debris till then main river channel is almost certain.

Thanks Bob, I was expecting to run into mud/quicksand. I called up to the Escalante visitor center and spoke to a ranger who told me they did a packraft down Willow last fall and said the lake was present before Bishop canyon and they could paddle up Bishop a ways. I think the lake is now 20-25 ft lower since last fall, so it will be interesting. I also read an article recently about a trip that was made this past Jan going down Willow and over to Fifty Mile to see the exposed Greggory Natural Bridge. So the lake end seems doable, just not sure what that slog will be like.

Still hoping to hear from anyone that may have come into Willow Gulch via Willow Creek, starting at its junction with HITR road.

Looked on GE ...... didnt see anything to block either, at least to you get to the lake level in the photo. Change your GE date to 5/2013 and you get the canyons shadow free. Personally Id bail in/out of both of them before the road and cross country to the truck...

Thanks, appreciate that. I forgot about pulling the time back.
I had looked at a cross country at one point, when I was considering XC from my truck to the main Willow trailhead. I found that track and had crossed at this entry: 37°18'43.31"N,111° 1'19.95"W. Looked like a reasonable downhill into the wash on sand. RE the screenshot below, I'll continue down creek, rather than continue to follow my track to the Willow trailhead.

I think i'll give that a shot. Looks like 1.25 - 1.5 miles to the Willow Creek entry point. When I come out of Fifty Mile, i'll be very close to the truck, which is always a bonus.
Can't wait, this place calls to me!

1647565847750.png

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Outdoors24 Willow/Davis Gulch Packrafting Backpacking 6
WasatchWill Willow Meets Willow Gulch Backpacking 21
Dave An International Reunion in Willow Gulch Backpacking 14
BJett Lower Escalante Trifecta - Willow Gulch to Davis Gulch Backpacking 14
Rye Jones Willow Gulch Backpacking 3
Nick Forty Mile & Willow Gulch Backpacking 6
slc_dan Sooner-Willow Gulch Loop May 2013 Backpacking 17
powderglut Pt 2 Red Breaks and Willow Gulch Hiking & Camping 8
Nick Willow Gulch, Escalante Trip Planning 7
Nick Willow Gulch & Escalante River Gorge Backpacking 0
Nick Fortymile & Willow Gulch Loop Backpacking 14
BeardoMcGrath Willow/Fortymile Exploration: 10-12 May 2023 Backpacking 9
scatman Big Willow Canyon - June 11, 2022 Hiking & Camping 33
Arizona Jones Willow Valley Loop Hike, Arizona Canyoneering 8
NorthwestWanderer 3 days in Idaho/Oregon's Hells Canyon: Pittsburgh Landing to Willow Creek Backpacking 2
smscheick Packrafting Willow/Davis/50 mile Backpacking 22
Ross Invite Lake Powell canyons(Iceberg,Davis,Willow)or Cape Solitude/Canaan Mtn Meet Up (Members Only) 1
Ross Anyone for Lake Powell canyons (Iceberg,Davis,Willow/Cape Solitude/Canaan Mtn Trip Planning 0
swmalone Willow Creek to Little Cottonwood Creek Loop Trail Hiking & Camping 0
Wanderlust073 Upper Willow Lake overnight - Eagles Nest Wilderness Backpacking 4
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains South Willow Creek-Camp Creek Reservoir day hike Hiking & Camping 2
piper01 Packrafting Escalante, Part 1: Willow to Davis Backpacking 10
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains, South Willow Creek-Granite Lake Hiking & Camping 0
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains, North Willow Creek Backpacking 3
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains, South Willow Creek Hiking & Camping 1
Ugly Big Willow 2014 Backpacking 10
Udink Mussentuchit, Willow Springs, and Hebe Hiking & Camping 3
Nick Willow Heights Trip Planning 0
Nick Willow Heights Hiking & Camping 3
MtnMatt Willow Lake Fall Colors in Big Cottonwood Canyon Hiking & Camping 2
D Grand Gulch Water Conditions Trip Planning 0
Janice Coyote Gulch Plus... Trip Planning 21
B Buckskin gulch/Pariah canyon Carpool Trip Planning 0
regehr Maybird Gulch bridge is broken Hiking & Camping 4
RyanP Grand Gulch last-minute questions Trip Planning 14
fiber Lower Grand Gulch Pour-off Trip Planning 14
C Grand Gulch Cedar Mesa Utah 11 Day Backpack October 2022 Backpacking 10
TrailScot Dripping Canyon to Grand Gulch, Cedar Mesa, Utah - March 2022 Hiking & Camping 7
XID_AZ Coyote Gulch Northish Side Canyons Trip Planning 0
Janice Vermillion Cliffs Trip - Part 3 - Buckskin Gulch Hiking & Camping 3
H Access to Grand Gulch via Water Canyon Trip Planning 2
D Springs in Grand Gulch 2022 Trip Planning 21
D Grand Gulch Shuttle Trip Planning 4
TrailScot Step Canyon access to Grand Gulch, Cedar Mesa Trip Planning 17
RyanP Coyote Gulch to Halls Creek via Steven's Canyon and the Baker Route (car/key swap) Meet Up (Members Only) 8
A Coyote Gulch crowds? Trip Planning 0
C Coyote Gulch via Chimney rock trail Trip Planning 0
priz1234 The Gulch Escalante 4/17-4/18 Backpacking 2
J Grand Gulch (Kane to Bullet) Water Availability Trip Planning 9
J Trip first week of April 2021 Southern UT/Anywhere AZ - Death Hollow, Coyote Gulch, or other suggestions? Trip Planning 9