Willis Creek to Sheep Creek to Paria River - Sept 2012

I recently went on my first solo backpacking trip to the Northwestern chunk of Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument. A month before this trip, while hiking in the same area with slc_dan, I had the harrowing experience of missing a turn in a loop trail we were attempting and winding up hiking 20+ miles and not getting back to our car until after 2 A.M. The area where we accidentally wandered was so beautiful I decided that I needed to come back with a pack and a better map and spend a few days wandering around.
wow such a great trip!!!! Keep us posted as you continue to chase that outlet!!

Great shots/report Nate!

I'm glad you posted about that panel -- I've never been able to spot it. There is supposed to be some at Sheep/Paria as well, but I've not been able to find those either! And... ditto for the one Intuitive Cat mentioned in Muley Wash. I guess I'm frequently in a little too much of a hurry to track down panels when I don't know the exact location. Some day.

But... I do know that that is the bottom of the Bull Valley as it intersects with Sheep Canyon. So... you were on the right track, just the goodies are up quite a ways. But, in a way you were in the best part of the canyon near the top when you started.

Thanks,
- Jamal

Thanks Jamal!

I felt lucky to have seen that map panel myself. We didn't spot it on our first visit, but a little additional scrambling got me to it on my next visit. Intuitive Cat's instructions to the Muley's Wash panel worked out for me on Monday when I was down there. That is a really cool busy big panel.

Thanks for letting me know I was on the right track back there! Always appreciate your expertise :thumbsup:

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Jeffrey Chandler Zion NP-Kolob Arch, Beartrap Falls, and Willis Creek Backpacking 13
IntrepidXJ Coyote Buttes North & Willis Creek Hiking & Camping 17
T-Mac Bryce Canyon & Willis Creek Hiking & Camping 9
Seldom Seen Anderson Willis Creek Hiking & Camping 3
Nick Willis Creek, Grand Staircase-Escalante Hiking & Camping 2
J Paria-Hackberry 10 Days backpacking April 23-May 2, 2017 Asay, Paria, Sheep, BVG, Willis Part 2 Backpacking 0
rinats Canyonlands/Needles: Salt Creek to Chesler Park Trip Planning 6
shredhiker Slough Creek mid June? Trip Planning 11
Spud Salt Creek Canyon question Trip Planning 11
BobFink Mirror Plateau via Pelican Valley and Pelican Creek, July / August 2023 Backpacking 12
Janice Such a GRAND Canyon - Deer Creek / Tapeats / Thunder River Backpacking 21
Jackson Little Rock Creek Backpacking 5
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56
J South Crandall Creek and the Hoodoos Wyoming and Yellowstone? Trip Planning 3
CodyL Maple Creek or Duck Creek Drainages-YNP Trip Planning 0
J Pacific Creek or North Buffalo Fork? Teton Wilderness, Thorofare ,etc. Trip Planning 10
I Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 15
Dreamer Slough Creek - YNP - 6/5-7/23 Backpacking 3
shredhiker Blacktail Creek June 2023 Backpacking 4
Dreamer Rescue Creek -YNP - 6/3-5/23 Backpacking 3
shredhiker Slough Creek May 2023 Backpacking 11
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 56
Gretchen Millward Trachyte Creek via Woodruff Canyon, April 2023 Backpacking 9
I Slough Creek - Yellowstone June 5 & 6 Meet Up (Members Only) 19
scatman City Creek Loop - April 23, 2023 Hiking & Camping 8
F Thorofare/South Boundary/Wolverine Creek Trip Planning 2
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park Meet Up (Members Only) 19
Janice When might road to Salt Creek TH be ok? Trip Planning 23
BobFink Yellowstone South Entrance to Fox Creek via Basin Creek Cutoff - Labor Day 2022 Trip Reports 4
Janice Professor Creek / Mary Jane Canyon - mid April? Trip Planning 0
scatman North Ridge of City Creek Canyon - February 4, 2023 Hiking & Camping 17
MikeP Exploring/Calf Creek Trip Planning 28
scatman South Ridge of City Creek Canyon - January 28, 2023 Hiking & Camping 4
travel2walk Gros Ventre Wilderness: Granite Creek, West Fork Crystal Creek, Crystal Creek, & Swift Creek - June 2021 Backpacking 8
slieb Lower Muddy Creek in Winter? Trip Planning 7
scatman A Yellowstone Love Story (Bog Creek Euphoria) - September 12, 2022 Backpacking 28
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. The Second Half. Backpacking 15
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. Part One of Two. Backpacking 61
scatman Pacific Creek, Moss Lake and Gravel Lake - Teton Wilderness - October 7, 2022 Backpacking 32
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Hayden Valley, Trout Creek, Beach Lake, and Arnica Creek Meadows. September 11, 2022. Hiking & Camping 7
scatman Trout Creek and the Headwaters of Alum Creek - September 11, 2022 Hiking & Camping 17
R Wind River Range: Green River Lakes/Clarks Trail/Porcupine Creek Trail Trip Planning 3
Janice Salt Creek plus... Trip Planning 17
Gretchen Millward Trachyte Creek, April – May 2022 Backpacking 3
XID_AZ Kanab Creek Wilderness - Sowats Canyon - Mountain Sheep Spring Trip Planning 6
balzaccom McGee Creek--Fire (smoke) Rain, Winded and rockslides... Trip Reports 0
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains South Meadow Creek Off Road 1
SteveR Bull Creek Hills, Alberta Hiking & Camping 5