Album Wildlife

Junior was not getting away till mom finished cleaning him up.

PxcdlmD.jpg

At camp, I had a very cute and curious neighbor right next to my tent.
I saw this cute little Golden Mantled Ground Squirrel running with nesting material behind my tent for at least a dozen times.
So I got curious and sat behind my tent and waited where it went.
And so I found the little hole in the ground, about five feet away from my tent.
And soon enough, the squirrel appeared again.

i-NJvgCM3-XL.jpg

Peekaboo

i-6r8HGz7-XL.jpg

Found another one. . . of all the animals observed these little guys somehow impressed me the most. In a pool of melt water at 6500ish ft. elevation and still half inundated by snow I noticed ripples moving. Looking closer revealed what I think are Red-Legged Frogs. I stuck my finger in the water and it certainly was cold -- surprised that any animal would be swimming in it much less a cold blooded one!

5J5A0510.JPG

5J5A0512.JPG

Chain moray eel, Roatan, Honduras

View attachment 80139

@Craig F. - That's a beautiful Moray Eel. Did you experience a lot of sand flies (gnats, no-see-um) on Roatan? I remember little about what scuba wildlife I saw, but I do remember amazing clean drinking water and I especially remember looking like a case of measles with hundreds (!) of red itchy bites on my body from all the voracious gnats. That was on Guanaja. :(

@Craig F. - That's a beautiful Moray Eel. Did you experience a lot of sand flies (gnats, no-see-um) on Roatan? I remember little about what scuba wildlife I saw, but I do remember amazing clean drinking water and I especially remember looking like a case of measles with hundreds (!) of red itchy bites on my body from all the voracious gnats. That was on Guanaja. :(

The no-see-ums are notorious on Roatan but it varies every time we're there.

Ended up with an entire moose family. However, the bull came out when the rain started. The oncoming storm and cooler temps and maybe an audience made the calf a performer.
He ran laps at full speed like a greyhound, around the willows, sometimes being chased by his mom. A few times he crouched in the grass and pounced at her as she came around the corner. About the most fun I have ever had watching meesen. Also the extra delay was one of several reasons I both got stuck up the canyon, but also did not get stuck in the actual mudsliding that occurred from the rain shortly after.

Flooded In Sunset Peak 8-20190020.jpg

A week ago at Wilcox Pass in Jasper NP:
_1110168-copy-2.jpg

_1110066-copy-2.jpg

_1110156-copy-2.jpg
This one was giving our (leashed) retriever the evil eye from about 20m away. Being obsessed with the local rodents, the dog was pretty much ignoring the sheep, but when this one stamped a foot, she got the message and tucked in on the far side of me as we walked by.

Ended up with an entire moose family. However, the bull came out when the rain started. The oncoming storm and cooler temps and maybe an audience made the calf a performer.
He ran laps at full speed like a greyhound, around the willows, sometimes being chased by his mom. A few times he crouched in the grass and pounced at her as she came around the corner. About the most fun I have ever had watching meesen. Also the extra delay was one of several reasons I both got stuck up the canyon, but also did not get stuck in the actual mudsliding that occurred from the rain shortly after.

View attachment 80683

Oh my gosh! That’s precious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk