Album Wildlife

A flicker maybe?

b88323d6fdd8e53e9a37b2ec0256859b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doesn't seem like the right color OR the right shape...

heard this guy pounding away the other afternoon while I was out on a short hike ...
View attachment 73035

@kwc - Probably the Hairy Woodpecker (the Downy looks almost the same, but its smaller).
During the winter you can hang up suet and enjoy the woodpeckers in your backyard (when the bear is not around). They are picky about what suet they like, they prefer the “Woodpecker Treat” C&S Product (we get it at home depot). The Red Bellied Woodpecker will come right to it too, thats a pretty Woodpecker. You might get a lot of Woodpeckers to your yard that way.
But you need to make the suet access raccoon proof. We use metal stake in the ground/ slide electrical conduit pipe over stake / attach stove pipe on top (so raccoon cannot climb up the pole), followed by the suet feeder. It also has to be 6ft away from trees, or the squirrels will jump to it.
Any other set up and the raccoon will outsmart you (they are as smart as ravens).
Or- just take a hike like you did !;)

Nucifraga columbiana
- another of my favorites, a bright corvid up high in Rock Creek, Sierra Nevada. Also known by most as the Clark's Nutcracker. We were camped on a rock island 20' in diameter in the middle of a sea of snow at 11,000 feet - just wonderful for ski descents. Mr. columbiana spotted us right away and came to inspect our nut cache.

publishSmWr-1-4 copy 15.jpg

Cedar Waxwings @Perry ! Very pretty and entertaining too. We usually see them in a big flock devouring berries on a shrub or a tree in the yard. They can clear all ripe berries on a juniper tree in no time. Last summer we had a couple hang out in the yard all summer.
https://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird/cedar-waxwing

That's exactly what they were doing. There were two or three waxwings amongst fifty or so American Robins eating berries from some shrubs. They don't seem to be very common in significant numbers here in northern Utah... At least not that I have ever noticed before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Finally had a fair evening to drive and glass a bit. The animals don't look like they're enjoying this long lasting winter.

Bald eagle, the only real decent pic I got today.

IMG_20190306_183412_735.jpg