Album Wildlife

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

wsp_scott

"The endangered Key deer is the smallest subspecies of the North American white-tailed deer. They are the only large herbivore in the Florida Keys and can be found in every habitat, where they feed on dozens of native plant species. Despite the absence of predators, Key deer retain the characteristic behavior of raising their tails when alarmed, revealing the white fur underneath."

"The largest males typically stand only about 1 meter at the shoulder and weigh a maximum of around 85 lbs. Females are smaller, weighing on average 65 pounds."

We were taking our time getting to Key West since we had an afternoon check-in. Did a short hike and drove around looking for Key Deer. I saw a car stopped on a side road and thought "bear jam" like Yellowstone so I turned around and saw a woman feeding a deer, I yelled out my window that it was illegal and she jumped in the car and drove away. My kids new favorite word is "Touron" (tourist/moron) :)

The deer stood still while I took a couple photos and then we left it in peace and drove away.

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.