Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail

I haven't read it, but I remember hearing an interview on the radio a while back. What kind of facts seem like a stretch?

No experience and makes a solo 1,100 mile hike with a 60+ pound pack on the PCT. At one point she says she looses her boots and goes barefoot then makes duct tape shoes.

I have not read, but GF did over the summer. Her attitude changed after reading, wanting to head out with me. =))

I have not read, but GF did over the summer. Her attitude changed after reading, wanting to head out with me. =))

I normally don't read books from Oprah's book club either. I was sucked in with the narrative hook when she talked about how she took her boots off on the trail and her "monster" backpack fell and flipped the boot off the ledge so she threw her other boot off the ledge. This caused her to make duct tape shoes and so on. Some of her stories in the book just did not add up to me.

I just thought I would see if anyone else had an opinion given you-all's depth of experience. I think you made a good point. Regardless of any possible stretching of the facts I should have my wife read it so she will want to hit the trail more often.

@pstm13 Win! We were all set for our first trip with permit secured for a weekday overnight at Glen Aulin, Tuolumne Meadows; then life rudely interrupted our plans. I have plans to take Cheri out in the Spring on a trail in Desolation Wilderness. I'll surely post a report up on our adventures. dam... 5 months is a long way off.

@pstm13 Win! We were all set for our first trip with permit secured for a weekday overnight at Glen Aulin, Tuolumne Meadows; then life rudely interrupted our plans. I have plans to take Cheri out in the Spring on a trail in Desolation Wilderness. I'll surely post a report up on our adventures. dam... 5 months is a long way off.
That sounds like my Yosemite trip. We had the back country permits and everything. I hope you make it. We never did make that trip. Happy Trails.

I was sucked in with the narrative hook when she talked about how she took her boots off on the trail and her "monster" backpack fell and flipped the boot off the ledge so she threw her other boot off the ledge. This caused her to make duct tape shoes and so on. Some of her stories in the book just did not add up to me.

Uhh yeah, that seems a bit far fetched. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if some things were embellished or exaggerated to sell a book. Not saying that's the case as I don't know her nor have I read it, but some of that sounds pretty unreal.

I loved this book and have to say that events in one's persons life may lead them to do extraordinary things. I met her and her husband and believe them to be very sincere people.

I never commented on this when the thread was first around, but here are my thoughts.

I bought this book was it was first released. I really liked it at the beginning and I was reading through it quickly. Than towards the end it was hard to finish. I commence her on going and completing this feat though. To me it was a decent book, not my favorite.

I have friends who would have never picked up this book though, and now they are reading it because it's being made into a movie starring Reese Witherspoon.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
BJett Packrafting the Obed National Wild & Scenic River - Tennessee On The Water 1
forest dweller Invite First 2 weeks of August, open to anywhere wild and beautiful, western US or Canada, hell, Yukon or Alaska even! Meet Up (Members Only) 10
norwegianxplorer Hiking Sierra de las Nieves, Spain. Sunrise hike from Yunquera, Andalusia, Wild boar and Spanish Ibex Hiking & Camping 0
zionsky Why you should not approach wild animals General Discussion 3
K 38 Years Ago Today ... Close Grizzly Bear Encounter in Wyoming's Teton Wild. Everything Else 2
WoodyBR549 Wild Basin Trip Planning 2
DrNed Wild Zora Foods Gear 0
regehr Little Wild Horse fatalaties Monday General Discussion 12
Wanderlust073 Album BCP Swag in the Wild Photography 51
Stephanie B Old Woman Wash, Three Finger Petroglyphs, and Wild Horse Canyon (Backcountry Fest in the San Rafael Swell) Hiking & Camping 6
J Wild Las Vegas, naturally. Sampler, 3 different dayhikes Nov 17, 19, 20 2017 Hiking & Camping 3
regehr these cows are not wild and they are not yours Photography 7
Rockskipper Surviving In The Wild: Can Your Photo Gear Save Your Life? Photography 1
RyanP Little Wild Horse tips for this weekend? Deep cold water in canyon? Trip Planning 5
Rockskipper How close have you been to a wild animal that could eat your lunch (marmots don't count)? General Discussion 26
Rockskipper Wild Horse Butte, Wyoming Hiking & Camping 1
ashleyoutside Slot Canyon Hiking – Little Wild Horse Canyon Hiking & Camping 4
Jon Carbaugh Little Wild Horse/Bell Canyon Loop Hiking & Camping 7
H ON THE ROAD WILD WEST :: Yellowstone, Grand Teton, & Glacier National Park Big Sky Road Trip Photography 8
DrNed Biking The Little Wild Horse Road Everything Else 1
IntrepidXJ Little Wild Horse Canyon & Bell Canyon Hiking & Camping 2
DrNed Little Wild Horse Road Trip Planning 13
Scott Chandler A Return to Desert: Little Wild Horse Hiking & Camping 7
Red Rock Rangers Let the wild rumpus start! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
Scott Chandler "Weekending" in Rocky Mountain NP's Wild Basin Backpacking 1
hatchcanyon Utah Emery County: Clay Hills Road aka Wild Horse Road Off Road 4
CaptnKidd Black Dragon Canyon, Crack Canyon, Little Wild Horse (2011) Hiking & Camping 4
D Bear Grylls Running Wild - Utah Episode General Discussion 46
Desertrat Wild Horse Mesa Off Road 7
John Mckean Suggestions for the Little wild horse area of the Swell? Trip Planning 3
Slewings Little Wild Horse Canyon to Bell Canyon Loop Canyoneering 8
Nick Little Wild Horse Canyon Trip Planning 0
Nick Wild Horse Canyon & Window Hiking & Camping 9
Nick Wild Horse Window Rock Art General Discussion 27
Laura A few from my weekend wild hair trip Photography 22
Udink Flash Flood in Little Wild Horse Canyon 9/1/13 General Discussion 8
Artemus Winds X'ing P1 - Wild! Route Finding, Grizzlies & Deadfall Backpacking 45
Aldaron Wild Horse Canyon Trip Planning 3
PureLightImages Solo Hike with Baby - Northern Swell & Little Wild Horse 10.06.2012 Hiking & Camping 10
barl0w Goblin Valley + Little Wild Horse Canyon - April 2012 (Boy Scouts) Hiking & Camping 4
HomerJ Little Wild Horse - Angels Landing Hiking & Camping 2
Nick Little Wild Horse Canyon and Goblin Valley Hiking & Camping 1
Nick Eating plants in the wild General Discussion 6
Writhdar Day hikes in the White Clouds and Lost River Range Hiking & Camping 1
Bob Lost in the Escalante .......... Blast from the Past Backpacking 6
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking the Lost River Range in Idaho : Bear Creek Lake & Upper Basin Backpacking 7
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Oregon's Cottonwood Canyon : Lost Corral Trail Backpacking 1
Rockskipper Maybe it was the BBQ sauce (guy survives 3 weeks w/ no food or water after getting lost) General Discussion 0
Curt Lost Twin Lakes, Cloud Peak Wilderness, Wyoming Backpacking 16
Outdoor_Fool Lost and Found General Discussion 1