Why do you do this ?

Meddins

I was a wild land firefighter for 12 years. I have seen and set foot a lot of places that few folks will see or go . I was flown in via helicopter or hiked , all in the western states . There is such a vast amount of scenery that no one knows about . I figured why not see what the ol mighty has created instead of visiting tourist trap locations that man has built .

I worked for the state of California (CDF) 6 yrs on type 3 engines, 5 years on helitack and then went to USFS for a season on a hotshot crew . Didn’t make enough money to support my wife and 3 kids , so I had to leave .

Asking a bunch of people on a backpacking site why they spend their time visiting tourist traps?

What?

Sorry , That’s not at all what I am asking . Some folks do it for the miles some folks do it to get away from the every day hustle and bustle, maybe some do it for photography reasons , Social media Etc .... To me I would rather go backpacking / camping to be out in “God’s country “ as some might call it rather than going to Italy or the Bahamas or Hawaii . Places that have capitalized on tourism. That’s all I am saying .

Sorry , That’s not at all what I am asking . Some folks do it for the miles some folks do it to get away from the every day hustle and bustle, maybe some do it for photography reasons , Social media Etc .... To me I would rather go backpacking / camping to be out in “God’s country “ as some might call it rather than going to Italy or the Bahamas or Hawaii . Places that have capitalized on tourism. That’s all I am saying .

Hawaii has a lot of places where you never see anyone on your hikes. Especially Big Island.
I lived there for a few years and can definitely tell you that. Even in Hawai'i Volcanoes NP are so many places you will never see a single soul, lol
I barely backpack at all but even on my day hikes in pretty populated parks like Zion I have the place all to myself in many places

Hawaii has a lot of places where you never see anyone on your hikes. Especially Big Island.
I lived there for a few years and can definitely tell you that. Even in Hawai'i Volcanoes NP are so many places you will never see a single soul, lol
I barely backpack at all but even on my day hikes in pretty populated parks like Zion I have the place all to myself in many places
Sure every state / country has places like that. I guess maybe I am not being clear on this . Essentially it’s Just an inquiry to why people chose to backpack . That’s all .

Essentially it’s Just an inquiry to why people chose to backpack . That’s all .

Oh that's easy. It provides a great feeling of freedom to throw on a pack and head off into wild country. OK, it's probably more complex than that, but that is probably the number one motivator. Whether new or familiar country, no 2 experiences are ever the same.

I’d like to be helicoptered into a remote area also. I’m assuming I’ll get picked up also. What a life.
Not always . Hiked out plenty of times . Can’t always depend on aircraft , and they don’t fly at night to pick crews up , too dangerous

I like a nice city vacation now and then. I just do them less often, partly because I love hiking and camping, and partially because they cost more and have more logistics to figure out.

I'm going to Glacier in September most likely, and we'll probably stay in a hotel or Airbnb the whole time. Sometimes being able to go somewhere wild for the day and then go back at night to a soft bed, controlled climate, and quick access to good restaurants is really nice. I'm getting pumped for my trip just thinking about it.

I do it because I can. I do it because I enjoy it. I don't have an existential reason to hike. I just like it.

I like a nice city vacation now and then. I just do them less often, partly because I love hiking and camping, and partially because they cost more and have more logistics to figure out.

I'm going to Glacier in September most likely, and we'll probably stay in a hotel or Airbnb the whole time. Sometimes being able to go somewhere wild for the day and then go back at night to a soft bed, controlled climate, and quick access to good restaurants is really nice. I'm getting pumped for my trip just thinking about it.
Snowed on me last I was there (2nd week of September) Glad I had a warm room to come back to !

I’m not able to do this yet. I have 4.5 years before I can (shitty circumstance), but when I go nomading it’s because I’m an introvert (yet I love meeting new people [emoji2369]) and I can’t stand society and want to enjoy the solidarity and peace of nature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I backpack because of the places you can go... the things you can see. So many reason to get out there that for me, it is hard to pick one real reason why I do it.
I can at least say I do not do it to post to snapchat, instagram, twit about it or FB it :rolleyes::rolleyes:... or whatever the proper social media methods are these days.

I am an earthling. Much to the chagrin of my mother I started exploring my environment through solo overnighteres at 4 years old. The illicit activities when not asking permission simply heightened the feelings. With that mindset things in life worked out phenomenally Many decades later I still go into wilderness several times a week. Most of my important thoughts are either born there or somewhere during the walk. In between then and now an amazing career put me in the places that few will ever imagine. Nobody gives this or pretty much anything to you. You have to make it all happen.

Last edited:
Back