Who has been here? Ruin off Hole-in-the-Rock road

Fatboy

Wondering if anyone on here has been to this ruin up on Kaiparowits plateau. It is mentioned in a couple of books including David Robert's Lost World of the Old Ones.

I first saw it in an article by Morgan Sjogren that was in The Gulch Magazine about 2 years ago.

This is Macduff Everton's picture...

everton macduff.jpg

Here is an image from Morgan Sjogren's article....

morgan.PNG

Here is a link to that article....

I been to the site on very cold winter day with several inches of snow on the ground but was too much of chicken to go the last twenty feet.
That trip was a scary adventure because I decided to not follow the trail back down to my campsite.

When you get to the site you are on a 40 foot cliff and it appears you have to crawl out onto a ledge that is 12 inches wide with some rocks projecting out over the ledge leaving a person with a handful of inches between the rock and a 40 foot fall.

You cannot crawl under or over the projecting rock, which forces to slide along the outside edge of it.

Here is another Macduff Everton image showing a lady on the ledge...

21578_m (1).jpg

Hope to head back out to the area in late spring or early summer and may want to give it another go if I get some feedback from someone who has actually done it.

Wondering if anyone on here has been to this ruin up on Kaiparowits plateau. It is mentioned in a couple of books including David Robert's Lost World of the Old Ones.

I first saw it in an article by Morgan Sjogren that was in The Gulch Magazine about 2 years ago.

This is Macduff Everton's picture...

View attachment 106249

Here is an image from Morgan Sjogren's article....

View attachment 106250

Here is a link to that article....

I been to the site on very cold winter day with several inches of snow on the ground but was too much of chicken to go the last twenty feet.
That trip was a scary adventure because I decided to not follow the trail back down to my campsite.

When you get to the site you are on a 40 foot cliff and it appears you have to crawl out onto a ledge that is 12 inches wide with some rocks projecting out over the ledge leaving a person with a handful of inches between the rock and a 40 foot fall.

You cannot crawl under or over the projecting rock, which forces to slide along the outside edge of it.

Here is another Macduff Everton image showing a lady on the ledge...

View attachment 106251

Hope to head back out to the area in late spring or early summer and may want to give it another go if I get some feedback from someone who has actually done it.
Tried to find this ruin last year with no luck, plan on going again in early spring.

just recently I saw a trip report (I assume here, since I don't really read trip reports other places) of someone who visited these ruins

@Allymacx one of the Kelsey books gives pretty solid info (for Kelsey) about where this is

Got to about the 3 line of the article....and read no more....

I made it up there last spring and wrote it up here. We used the directions described in Kelsey's Guide but PM me if you want more detailed info.

FWIW I'm not super brave when it comes to exposure (for example I don't like anything that is exposed and 3rd class) but the crawl out here wasn't too bad. You never have to hang over the edge and it's only a few feet where you have to squeeze by the drop off. Getting to that point would have been much more difficult in the snow though so I'd recommend waiting until at least mid April depending on the snow pack this year.