White Rim Road Questions

DrNed

The mountains are calling and I must go
So I got my White Rim permits last week.

I'm going 6 days / 5 nights starting May 30 (Memorial Day).
I realize this is quite a bit longer than most people do it, but
I want to see and do all there is.

In reading about side trips and looking at images, I've come up with a few
questions I'd like some help with. I don't think my understanding of the
relative topography is very good, so please forgive me if ask something
really dumb.

1. Is the trip down Lathrop to the Colorado worth it? I notice there is a road and
trail. Is one better than the other?

2. Can one approach the Washerwoman / Monster Arches from the White Rim Road?

3. Can one get to Mesa Arch from the road?

4. Does the hike to the Miner's Camp from White Crack have a lot of exposure?
How much time should I set aside for this? Is going down all the way to the river
worth the extra 4 miles? I've got a very short biking day planned on day 3
(White Crack -> Murphy Hogback = 6 miles)to be able to do this hike if need be.

5. I'm also planning on doing hikes down the Holeman slot and then hking to
Upheavel Dome. Are there other sites / top priority things to see & do along
the White Rim Road?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
2. Can one approach the Washerwoman / Monster Arches from the White Rim Road?
Both Washerwoman and Monster rise up from the floor of the bench where you will be driving. The road doesn't go over there, but perhaps you can hike across the field to reach them.

3. Can one get to Mesa Arch from the road?
You are on the bench several hundred feet below Mesa Arch. From the White Rim, you can see if with binoculars there is no road over to the canyon wall (at least that I know of).

Glad you are going. I had a great time when I did it in a Jeep and took two days. Will take three when I do it again this fall. More time for side trips. You will er glad you did it.

Does the hike to the Miner's Camp from White Crack have a lot of exposure? How much time should I set aside for this? Is going down all the way to the river worth the extra 4 miles?

No, the initial drop from White Crack down is steep but not incredibly exposed. Once you're down below, it's pretty easy desert hiking for the most part. If you wander off the old road, you could get in trouble but just be smart about it and you'll be fine.

I'd plan most of a whole day for the miner's camp, especially if you're talking about going down to the river. There is no shade cover and you could easily be dealing with very warm conditions in late May, so giving yourself plenty of time to do the hike would be wise, IMO.

perhaps you can hike across the field to reach them.
I'm sure like other desert areas there are protected soils here. Is there anything about the soil or anything geographically
that would prevent me from approaching?

there is no road over to the canyon wall (at least that I know of).
Would the terrain prevent me from climbing up to it from the road?

Thanks for your input!

especially if you're talking about going down to the river.
I just reread your White Rim In A Wagon TR and therein you mentioned not making to the river. Have you previously
or since? And if so, is the hike from the camp down to the river worth the time?

Thanks!

I just reread your White Rim In A Wagon TR and therein you mentioned not making to the river. Have you previously
or since? And if so, is the hike from the camp down to the river worth the time?

I was never going to the river, I was going for an overlook of the confluence. But I passed the route that goes down to the river. It's a steep drop, but looks pretty. Then again, you could enjoy it more easily floating through Stillwater Canyon. I believe @Kullaberg63 came up that route so he'd be a better person to ask.

You would have a hard time climbing. It is a pretty steep canyon wall and pretty high up. That said, there is much to see on the White Rim and if you cannot include this, you will not lack for adventure. I have seen (but don't have a link for) sites online where the different attractions at different mileage points are identified. This might help. There is a book called "A Naturalist's Guide to the White Rim Trail" that is available on Amazon, which might help, although I don't know how much since I haven't looked at it lately.

You would have a hard time climbing. It is a pretty steep canyon wall and pretty high up. That said, there is much to see on the White Rim and if you cannot include this, you will not lack for adventure. I have seen (but don't have a link for) sites online where the different attractions at different mileage points are identified. This might help. There is a book called "A Naturalist's Guide to the White Rim Trail" that is available on Amazon, which might help, although I don't know how much since I haven't looked at it lately.
Cool, thanks! I'll check it out.

I was never going to the river, I was going for an overlook of the confluence. But I passed the route that goes down to the river. It's a steep drop, but looks pretty. Then again, you could enjoy it more easily floating through Stillwater Canyon. I believe @Kullaberg63 came up that route so he'd be a better person to ask.
Thanks.

The more I think about it biking & 15+ miles of hiking will fill my day and exhaust my legs plenty.

Hiking to the river via Stove Canyon from White Crack camp is 16 miles round trip following the old road. This would be brutal with temps at 80° and above.

Short cutting in the canyons makes it about 12. There's a spring on the shortcut route. But also potential to get lost.

Hiking to the river via Stove Canyon from White Crack camp is 16 miles round trip following the old road. This would be brutal with temps at 80° and above.

Short cutting in the canyons makes it about 12. There's a spring on the shortcut route. But also potential to get lost.

Is there data available on the short cut you speak of? If you're willing, please elaborate on the potential for getting lost? If one were to follow the old road, is the road bikeable or would it be too technical for an amateur rider?

@ashergrey I was planning on following your GPS data you left from the White Crack camp to the miners camp. Did you follow the road or did you do the short cut?

Is there data available on the short cut you speak of? If you're willing, please elaborate on the potential for getting lost? If one were to follow the old road, is the road bikeable or would it be too technical for an amateur rider?

@ashergrey I was planning on following your GPS data you left from the White Crack camp to the miners camp. Did you follow the road or did you do the short cut?

I followed the road. It should handle a mountain bike fine, though I'm not sure what park regs say about taking a bike off established routes.

My two cents: don't attempt a shortcut until you've been down there on the road. The terrain is pretty rough and it would be really easy to get stuck or turned around while working your way up or around the various minor draws. Take a look at Google Earth and topo maps with a very critical eye.

I followed the road. It should handle a mountain bike fine, though I'm not sure what park regs say about taking a bike off established routes.

My two cents: don't attempt a shortcut until you've been down there on the road. The terrain is pretty rough and it would be really easy to get stuck or turned around while working your way up or around the various minor draws. Take a look at Google Earth and topo maps with a very critical eye.
Good to know. Much thanks!

In poking around the Canyonlands NPS site I was unable to find a clear answer on the question,
"Are fires allowed in the various White Rim camp sites ?"

I'm guessing it's similar to a river permits where if one is going to have a fire it must be kept
in a fire pan.

If anyone has definitive knowledge I'd appreciate it.

In poking around the Canyonlands NPS site I was unable to find a clear answer on the question,
"Are fires allowed in the various White Rim camp sites ?"

I'm guessing it's similar to a river permits where if one is going to have a fire it must be kept
in a fire pan.

If anyone has definitive knowledge I'd appreciate it.

Campfires are not permitted (last sentence in the campsites section): http://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/whiterimroad.htm