Which Lakes on the Boulder have no vehicle access

Duke

Mountain Carver
I am considering a trip to the Aquarius plateau area in Utah but want to backpack in. I can't find a good source that tells me which lakes one can 4 wheeler in to and which ones require a hike. Anybody know of such a resource? It seems that most have road access. ?

Duke

I've always just used the USGS Topo and satellite imagery when scouting trips there. Last time I looked there were quite a few that you had to hike to but pretty much none that weren't more than 2-3 miles from the nearest road or ATV trail. I would assume those maps are accurate, but I could be wrong. Sorry, not much help. If you don't already use the BCP topo map, I highly recommend it.

The other thing that's confusing is that a lot of the roads on Boulder Top have been closed but are still on maps and easily seen on satellite pictures. Are you looking for a lake on the top or on the flanks?

The loop I like to do is Honeymoon, Pear, Blind, Solitaire lakes. All full of nice Tigers. If you have an ATV you can get within a few miles of the lakes then walk around the base of the plateau.

Bob

I wasn't looking anywhere in particular but would guess the scenery is better on the flanks.

Gary,

thanks. However, your recommendation helps illustrate why my map skills are so poor that I am unable to follow Nick's suggestion (even though it likely works for everyone else). I was looking at Pear Lake recently and could swear that I see a road leaving to the south. One problem I have with Sat photos is that roads are now just ATV trails and I can't tell the difference between them and hiking trails.

Pear.jpg

Thanks Gary. And....just to confuse things....what I call Pear lake this map in the link calls Cutler lake. What can I say, Navy guys like me don't get the Land-Nav map skills that Army @Aldaron has.

p.s. I see you are from Vegas. We moved here from Vegas 8 yrs ago. Love Idaho but miss the Vegas desert too.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
John Goering Boulder Lakes, Tobacco Root Mountains Off Road 0
Parma Idaho's White Cloud Mountains - Boulder Chain Lakes - Chamberlain Basin Backpacking 8
S White Cloud route, Big Boulder Lakes to Boulder Chain Lakes Trip Planning 3
lostlandscapes Big Boulder Lakes, White Clouds -- July 3-5, 2015 Backpacking 12
B Beartooth Lakes Info Trip Planning 1
TheMountainRabbit Dana Meadows to Twin Lakes via the High Route (Yosemite/Hoover Wilderness) - August 2023 Backpacking 8
wabenho Big Pine Lakes – John Muir Wilderness Backpacking 6
shredhiker Kings Canyon July 2022 Kearsarge, Rae, & Sixty Lakes Backpacking 8
R Wind River Range: Green River Lakes/Clarks Trail/Porcupine Creek Trail Trip Planning 3
Mikjik86 Another Wind River Trip Planning! Elkhart/Titcomb/Knapsack/Shannons Pass loop back to Elkhart, or continue to Green River Lakes Trailhead? Trip Planning 10
2eez4life Four lakes or Naturalist Trip Planning 5
WasatchWill WRHR - Day 7: Beaver Park to Green River Lakes Backpacking 15
westy Invite Also, Alpine Lakes Wilderness Meet Up (Members Only) 0
Mountain Wanderer Four Lakes Basin in the Southern Cabinet Mountains - Montana Backpacking 12
futurafree Beartooth Lakes and Passes Trip Planning 2
Bob USFS cabin green River Lakes, WY Trip Planning 0
travel2walk trip report: Wind River Range – Ross Lakes, Bear Basin, Grasshopper Glacier, & Dinwoody Creek loop, Aug-Sep 2020 Trip Reports 41
marquiri Wind River Range - Green River Lakes Trailhead Trip Planning 9
Parma Sawtooth Loop: Redfish, Hell Roaring, Imogene, Edna, and Cramer Lakes Backpacking 13
NorthwestWanderer North Cascades NP : Dee Dee Lakes & the Mcallister Ledge Backpacking 0
NorthwestWanderer North Cascades - Cutthroat/Granite/snowy lakes passes Backpacking 3
Mountain Wanderer Cedar Lakes Loop in Montana's Cabinet Mountains Wilderness Backpacking 4
SteveR Headwall Lakes, Alberta Hiking & Camping 6
andyjaggy Deep Creek Lakes and Windriver Peak Trip Planning 6
norwegianxplorer Rae Lakes Loop, SEKI, June 2020 Backpacking 6
Matt Van Natta HELP: Wind River Range, Baker Lake to Green River Lakes Trip Planning 7
Dreamer Wind River Dreaming | Summer 2019 July 17 - July 29 | Green River Lakes - Elkhart Park Backpacking 14
Curt Lost Twin Lakes, Cloud Peak Wilderness, Wyoming Backpacking 16
McKee80 TR: Bear Lakes Basin Pine Creek TH 09-05/11-19 Backpacking 14
Pianomover Overnighter to Caribou lakes in the Trinity Alps. Backpacking 0
balzaccom Dinkey Lakes Trip Reports 2
fossana Bear Lakes > Royce Lakes overnighter (High Sierra) Backpacking 12
balzaccom Chain Lakes Backpacking 1
misSOULa Montana's Bitterroot Mountains: Big Creek Lakes and Ranger Point Backpacking 2
bdunn02 Stough Creek Basin via Twin Lakes Backpacking 7
NorthwestWanderer Overnighter in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness : Ingalls Pass and Lake Ingalls Backpacking 9
Born to Hike Windriver 36 mile loop: Skull Lake, Washakie Pass, South Fork Lakes, Lizard Head Trail, The Cirque, Big Sandy Lake Backpacking 6
NorthwestWanderer Lyman Lakes, Glacier Peak Wilderness, WA Backpacking 12
NorthwestWanderer Yellow Aster Butte & Tomyhoi Lakes Basin, WA Hiking & Camping 11
MTNgoat OHV tails close to lakes Trip Planning 1
T Day Hike to Tatoosh Lakes and beyond Hiking & Camping 1
stevecochranephotography Blue Lakes Trail... Southwest Colorado in the Mount Sneffels Wilderness Hiking & Camping 9
Shirt357 Twin Crater Lakes - 0707-0708 Backpacking 5
L Red Castle Lakes / Wilson Peak OR Rock Creek Basin Trip Planning 4
Wanderlust073 South Colony Lakes overnight Backpacking 9
NorthwestWanderer Ancient Lakes & Dusty Lake, WA 4/28 - 4/30 Backpacking 2
DrNed Upper Henry's Fork Lakes Trip Planning 1
Jimmy BANFF: Fish/Devon Lakes/Pipestone Highline Backpacking 5
AbinadiWitness Part 1: Telluride Via Ferrata and Mount Sneffels SW Ridge from Blue Lakes- Colorado Trip # 1 - 2017 Backpacking 0
RyanP Cook Lakes to Wall Lake to Indian Basin to Titcomb Basin Trip Planning 4