Where are your favorite primitive camping spots near Capitol Reef/Torrey?

steve

Heading down that way tonight, and I'd rather not camp in Fruita campground if I can avoid it. Primitive camping is fine, but we need to be able to get there in our 2wd, lowered cars. Any recommendations? Feel from to message me if you don't want to post it for the whole world to see.

We've camped at the Cedar Mesa CG on the Notom Rd and used it as base camp for a ton of hikes. 6-7 sites with fire rings tables and pit toilets. No water though. I like it as a base camp. Has all the necessary camping requirements.

Looking east from camp.
IMGP2705.JPG

We've camped at the Cedar Mesa CG on the Notom Rd and used it as base camp for a ton of hikes. 6-7 sites with fire rings tables and pit toilets. No water though. I like it as a base camp. Has all the necessary camping requirements.

Looking east from camp.
View attachment 16207
Not sure you'd want to try to get there 'in our 2wd, lowered cars' though.

I know this is late but here are a couple of options:

Just outside the park to the north/west right off UT24 there is a primitive campsite, it's just before the big turn towards Torrey on the right as you come out of the park. No facilities but close to the (mostly quiet) road.

On the west end of Torrey is Sand Creek Road, it heads north towards Thousand Lake Mountain and enters the National Forest. After that the road is bumpy, no lowered cars but small RVs do get up there. About 1/2 mile up there are several wide spaces next to the road where people camp, no facilities, windy! I'll say hello as I pass when I'm walking my dogs. If you're cooking breakfast the dogs will enjoy sharing it with you :cool:

Just east of Bicknell is the Sunglow NF campground, not really primitive but very basic, has water! Paved access.

There is of course a lot of National Forest and BLM land all around the park and people just put down their tents all over the place.

Thanks Bob. We camped at one of those spots, it was a great one.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
montanaclimber Americans: where was your favorite international backpacking trip? Trip Planning 25
C WHERE TO GO IN MARCH? Trip Planning 2
P Packing your pack, what goes where? General Discussion 16
gnwatts Not sure where this is. General Discussion 8
J Identify the spot Utah: I don't know where it is General Discussion 2
Georgia Yankee Where to see/hear wolves Yellowstone NP backcountry in September? Trip Planning 16
regehr Dude Where's My Arch Hiking & Camping 8
balzaccom Bear Canister...where does it go? Trip Planning 19
forest dweller Where to go, last minute, early August, with wife, for 2 weeks, with no backcountry permits? Trip Planning 25
TrektheWorld Where should I go this weekend? Trip Planning 7
Titans Matt took his trailer where? General Discussion 6
o2bav8 Where ever the wind blows Hiking & Camping 19
Miya International Backpacking: Where to Store my Junk? Trip Planning 11
mathew suggestions on where to go Trip Planning 1
Perry Can You Guess Where The Uintas Are? General Discussion 5
b.stark Maze 2017-But seriously, where are Steve's gummy bears? Backpacking 7
F Any where good? (in Texas) Trip Planning 4
Perry Dumb Question of the Day: Where is the northern gate on the Mirror Lake highway General Discussion 4
Perry Where's my trip report? Questions, Suggestions & Support 3
Dustin Gent where to go? 4 days Trip Planning 11
Jammer Where is this Arch? General Discussion 4
Jammer Where is it -- TV/Movie Edition General Discussion 13
Kullaberg63 Anyone know where this petroglyph is located? General Discussion 5
Bigred72 Prints and framing-Where to? Photography 3
Tye Dye Twins Where to Post Backcountry skiing stuff? Questions, Suggestions & Support 8
12trysomething VIDEO: Meandering Down The NPT...UhOh Where Are My Keys? Backpacking 1
Devo Where is this? General Discussion 13
Glasterpiece Where is it? General Discussion 2
Thomas Rasmuson Where do you get your gear? Gear 19
Thomas Rasmuson Where to go in the Uintas? Trip Planning 6
Duke Where are the top 25 Landscape photo locations Photography 13
Jammer Guess the Spot (not where you think) General Discussion 10
Nick Where to go... Trip Planning 17
Yvonne Spring Break mid March, but where to go? Trip Planning 26
Nick Where to fish near Salt Lake City General Discussion 8
Backcountry Post Where do you buy your gear? General Discussion 14
DOSS Yeah... don't know where to go next weekend - help Trip Planning 7
gnwatts Where would this be? General Discussion 3
backpack Where are dogs NOT allowed? Trip Planning 2
Nick Here come the monsoons - where to go now!? General Discussion 8
fossana Favorite map resources General Discussion 17
forest dweller Favorite backpacking foods...convenient, easy, delicious, nutritious? General Discussion 20
Ellen What are your favorite spots to hike and camp in December? Trip Planning 10
Mikjik86 Favorite location with no cell phone service General Discussion 56
U Favorite sites in Glacier in North Fork, Lake McDonald or Cole/Nyack? Looking at mid july Trip Planning 2
U Favorite Yellowstone Gallatin Mtn Area Campsite? Looking at WD5, WE7 and that area Trip Planning 5
J Three of my Favorite Things: Hiko Springs, NV. Narrows, peaks, petroglyph hike Hiking & Camping 0
Strawsome Favorite 2-3 day backpacking trip. Trip Planning 8
Parma Favorite Maze Campsites General Discussion 1
D Greetings from Missouri! What are your favorite Hikes in the Sawtooths? Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4