Where are the top 25 Landscape photo locations

Duke

Mountain Carver
I saw this post on a different site and the distances are obviously specific to my home in Idaho Falls.

"The December 2010 issue of Outdoor Photographer had the top 25 places in the world to photograph landscapes. Five of the locations are an average of 6 hours and 375 miles from Idaho Falls. The closest is 3 hours and 149 miles and the farthest is 10 hours and 603 miles"

I sure am curious which areas these are. I don't have the magazine and can't seem to find the list online so I have to guess and it is hard since the parameters say average miles which makes it a bit vauge. Average 6 hours but at least one only 148 miles? I would guess the Moulton Barn at Teton is the close one. Perhaps Yellowstone Falls instead. I am too lazy to look up mileage to know which but am sure one of those. I would guess Dead Horse Point in on the list. I would say Antelope Canyon and/or Monument Valley probably? maybe Antelope wouldn't be landscape in such a confined canyon. The Wave? I would also guess that the list would not be overloaded with redrock areas so I doubt there would be more than that for Colorado Plateau shots. The Grand Canyon is possibly in the group but I would have put it more than 600 miles but perhaps "as the crow flies" and to the top edge is what they meant? Maybe the other way at Glacier NP?

Any different guesses?

I saw this post on a different site and the distances are obviously specific to my home in Idaho Falls.

"The December 2010 issue of Outdoor Photographer had the top 25 places in the world to photograph landscapes. Five of the locations are an average of 6 hours and 375 miles from Idaho Falls. The closest is 3 hours and 149 miles and the farthest is 10 hours and 603 miles"

I sure am curious which areas these are. I don't have the magazine and can't seem to find the list online so I have to guess and it is hard since the parameters say average miles which makes it a bit vauge. Average 6 hours but at least one only 148 miles? I would guess the Moulton Barn at Teton is the close one. Perhaps Yellowstone Falls instead. I am too lazy to look up mileage to know which but am sure one of those. I would guess Dead Horse Point in on the list. I would say Antelope Canyon and/or Monument Valley probably? maybe Antelope wouldn't be landscape in such a confined canyon. The Wave? I would also guess that the list would not be overloaded with redrock areas so I doubt there would be more than that for Colorado Plateau shots. The Grand Canyon is possibly in the group but I would have put it more than 600 miles but perhaps "as the crow flies" and to the top edge is what they meant? Maybe the other way at Glacier NP?

Any different guesses?

I think I have that issue. Will check tonight and get back to you.

Since my coffee shop is only 2 blocks from my house I ran home and yes, I've got it. The issue doesn't rank the spots, just lists them:

Denali National Park, AK
Oxbow Bend, Grand Teton, WY
Towers, Torres del Paine National Park (Chile)
Glacier National Park< MT
Chincogeague Wildlife Refuge VA
Baja Peninsula, Mexico
Yosemite Valley, CA
Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge, MD
Canadian Rockies
Grand Canyon
San Juan Mountains, CA
Artist Point, North Cascades, WA
Cuyahoga Valley National Park, OH
Highlands of West VA
Capitol Reef NP, UT
Acadia NP, ME
Lake Tahoe, CA
Lake Mead NRA, NV
Mono Lake, CA
Bandhavgarh NP, India
Big Bend NP, TX
Yellowstone NP
McNeil River, AK
Gooseberry Falls State Park, MN
Playa del Carmen, Mexico

I think quite a few places were left off this list, but it wouldn't be the first time I disagreed w/OP. The issue also has 25 tips to improve your photography, and that article is great!

It's definitely a bit US centric for the top 25 places in the world! Only two places outside North America and one of those is best known for its tiger population, that could ruin your concentration! Nowhere in Africa in the top 25? (Perhaps the article clarifies the choices) I would put Death Valley in my top 25 list for sure, but I do like the desert.

So subjective, My top 25 spots would be a very different list. I've always thought that Idaho was a nice central location to what the West has to offer though. Right smack dab in the middle of most of the goodies. Canadian rockies, Glacier, the winds, red rock country, Colorado, Oregon coast, temperate rainforests, etc... it's within a days drive of all of it.

@Laura , thanks for typing those in. It does help my curiosity. @Bob Palin , thanks for looking up what I couldn't find.

I am disappointed with the list. Great places but still....? For example, I LOVE Lake Mead. We go there every year and drive right passed Powell when we do. I like it much better than Lake Powell for many reasons.....but "better" scenery is not one of them. Don't get me wrong, the Lake Mead area is beautiful desert! But it is nowhere near as scenic as Lake Powell.

Just curious, why do you like Mead better than Powell if the scenery is not as good? Crowds?
Look at a map of Lake Mead and you will see Callville bay. It is closest to Vegas and it is where all of Vegas people goe. Do NOT go there. However, everywhere else is without crowds. Sometimes so alone it is scary. Crystal clear water with 40 ft of visibility and it is warmer than Powell. Snorkeling and scuba diving are wonderful with the clarity. Many more camping options and camping without hearing boom boxes from the other side. Much of Lake Powell is thin and with the many boats zipping by it is often choppy. Mead is much larger and in the areas I was talking about; if the wind is down the water will be flat. Big horn sheep sightings are common in the right areas and I know where they are. One big drawback for Mead is the Zebra mussel. They are all over the place now.

Powell won't be far behind. Sounds like they are already all over Wahweap. What about sandy beaches to camp on? Many of those at Mead?

Powell won't be far behind. Sounds like they are already all over Wahweap. What about sandy beaches to camp on? Many of those at Mead?
Miles and Miles of them! And I do mean miles and miles. Nick, I know you paddle so you should know that Mead has some areas where no motors are allowed.

Oh, and one other detail that I certainly think about every time I jump in.....Mead has never had a dangerous fecal coliform count.