What's this new tower on Bald Mountain Pass?

Perry

Formerly Cuberant
Is this tower on Bald Mountain Pass new or have I just not noticed it before? It sits just above the trail head parking area. Anyone know what is it for?

DSC04013.jpg

Yeah that could be it. I was thinking it was a bit further east of that location but, of course, I'm seriously directionally challenged! Guess I just never noticed it before.

That made me recall an online article about 5G. In it was a statement some thing along the lines of there will be no view that won’t have a tower in it. Can’t let that happen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a microwave repeater. IIRC there's a HAM radio repeater located somewhere up there. may be part of this. If so, it's not new.

Looks like a microwave repeater. IIRC there's a HAM radio repeater located somewhere up there. may be part of this. If so, it's not new.

I think you’re on the right track with HAM ...

c036a3599a06a5fc2962981cc0b4122c.png

Interesting. But HAMs wouldn't be the main use of a tower like that, they would just piggyback. Probably a govt. microwave repeater. Sometimes a number of agencies will share resources with these communications towers, including the FAA, the State Patrol, Dept. of Energy, etc. and even telecommunications companies.

Did you get up close to it? It kind of reminds me of the antennae/solar arrays at SNOTEL stations I've seen.

Edit: never mind. The SNOTEL map doesn't show that there's a station there.

Did you get up close to it? It kind of reminds me of the antennae/solar arrays at SNOTEL stations I've seen.

No unfortunately not. Just noticed it while stopped at the overlook.

Bumping this thread to add that during the volunteer search for Ray Humpherys I overheard Summit County Sheriff's Office people talking about a cell tower coming to the Mirror Lake Highway corridor soon. Rumors to this effect have circulated for years so I'm not sure if this is something that's actually happening or just idle chatter, but given the number of SAR problems they have up there, I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen.

Bumping this thread to add that during the volunteer search for Ray Humpherys I overheard Summit County Sheriff's Office people talking about a cell tower coming to the Mirror Lake Highway corridor soon. Rumors to this effect have circulated for years so I'm not sure if this is something that's actually happening or just idle chatter, but given the number of SAR problems they have up there, I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen.

Hrm. That means propane generator :(

Not liking that. If you need to make a call summit Bald Mtn for a signal ;)

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Bob Fire Tower Rentals Trip Planning 0
Rockskipper You think you found a pithouse, or maybe an Ancestral Puebloan tower near Green River, UT? It's maybe something even more interesting... General Discussion 3
kwc Spruce Mountain Fire Tower, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 0
kwc Hadley Mountain Fire Tower hike, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 1
kwc Short hike to a fire tower Hiking & Camping 3
kwc Another Adirondack fire tower Hiking & Camping 2
kwc Goodnow Mountain fire tower hike Hiking & Camping 2
kwc Adirondack Fire Tower Hike Hiking & Camping 1
theBoreDom Fire Tower Greeneville TN Hiking & Camping 1
uintahiker Overnight in a Fire Lookout Tower Trip Planning 8
ram Boston Basin-Sharkfin Tower Backpacking 10
Joey Trip Video: Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, Arizona Creek and the Huckleberry Lookout Tower. 10/14 Backpacking 11
Tyler Canyonlands NP: Needles District (Paul Bunyans Potty, Tower Ruin, and Druid Arch) May 2008 Hiking & Camping 3
Mikjik86 Hiking Colorado - 13er Bald Mountain 13,703' Hiking & Camping 2
scatman Bald Mountain - August 20, 2022 Hiking & Camping 7
WasatchWill Return to Middle Basin, Hayden Pk, & Bald Mtn Backpacking 13
natylka Bald Mountain at Deer Park-July 2014 Hiking & Camping 0
Nick Bald Mountain, June 2007 Hiking & Camping 4
andyjaggy Bald Mt. Trip Planning 3
Nick Bald Mountain - Trail Guide Discussion Trip Planning 0
Nik Photographing bald eagles at Conowingo Dam Everything Else 6
Nick Bald Lake, Uintas Backpacking 2
B Hello mountain people! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
BeardoMcGrath Fiftymile Mountain rim and ruins tour: 13 May 2023 Hiking & Camping 12
Ugly Oh Mother! A Mountain Loop Backpacking 12
TheMountainRabbit Southern Absaroka & Thorofare Mountain (Teton/Washakie Wilderness) - July 2023 Backpacking 23
O Eagle Cap from China Cap to Meadow Mountain Backpacking 3
kwc Hadley Mountain hike Hiking & Camping 1
scatman Black Mountain Ridge - May 13, 2023 Hiking & Camping 49
regehr conditions at the Mexican Mountain road? Trip Planning 8
scatman Little Mountain - January 21, 2023 Hiking & Camping 28
TheMountainRabbit Black Lake (Rocky Mountain NP) - January 2023 Hiking & Camping 3
TheMountainRabbit Sky Pond (Rocky Mountain NP) - January 2023 Hiking & Camping 8
kwc Snowy Mountain, central Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 0
XID_AZ Kanab Creek Wilderness - Sowats Canyon - Mountain Sheep Spring Trip Planning 6
regehr mountain-forecast.com Trip Planning 22
Absarokanaut Welcome First Peoples Mountain General Discussion 0
scatman Mendon Peak - Wellsville Mountain Wilderness - June 4, 2022 Hiking & Camping 13
andyjaggy Wind River Range Roberts Mountain Trip Planning 4
LarryBoy SLC: Terrace Hills Drive to Big Mountain Peak Trip Planning 16
pstm13 Rocky Mountain National Park Mid June with Kids Trip Planning 7
pstm13 Rocky Mountain National Park Mid June with Kids Trip Planning 0
scatman Little Mountain - January 22, 2022 Hiking & Camping 1
scatman Jack's Mountain - December 24, 2021 Hiking & Camping 11
norwegianxplorer Highest Mountain in Norway, Galdhøpiggen, the start of a 9 day backpacking trip in Jotunheimen national park Backpacking 0
scatman Foothill Follies Part 2 - Black Mountain Ridge and City Creek Canyon Loop - November 11, 2021 Hiking & Camping 6
kwc Moxham Mountain, Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 3
J Death Valley National Park and Area Mountain Rambles Dec. 16-17, 2020 Hiking & Camping 0
scatman Black Mountain - May 22, 2021 Hiking & Camping 9
kwc Blue Mountain hike, Central Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 0