What's on your feet?

Anyone have the salmon shoes (don't know exact model). I just have a few people who highly recommend them and I'm thinking about picking up a pair this year.

My friends love their solomons. They don't quite fit my feet. Scheels has a great selection of trail runners (though you have to look in the running shoe section AND the hiking boots section).

I have some salomon techamphibians and love them. Not your average trail shoe, but excellent for getting wet yet having a decent stiff sole.

Good timing for this thread. I have a problem with my sural nerve on my ankle bone. I can no longer wear high top boots as they rub the ankle bone which eventually damages my nerve. It friggin' hurts. I am trying to find a good low winter hiker to use with gators. It would be nice to have them insulted and waterproof. I tried GTX style trail runner. Feet got cold but were dry. These might work if they were big enough to take thick socks. Plus they would need good soles to handle ice/snow. Anyone use low tops for winter?? Suggestions? My ankle thanks you.

Scarpa Kailash boots for hiking. Salomon techamphibians for water. Solomon XRCrossmax for daily wear. LaSportiva Glacier for Wildland fire work.

It seems to me that either Merrell's quality is getting worse or I'm harder on my shoes lately. Each subsequent pair of Moabs I bought (now on my third) wore out more quickly than the last.

There seem to be several different versions of the Moab. Any input as to whether or not all models show similar problems? REI is touting exclusivity on a new leather model of the Moabs. I have a $100 REI gift card so finding shoes there would be a bonus.

I have a version of the Merrell Moab, and they have been the best shoes for what I'm looking for so far. I love running in my merrell barefoots, but for longer walking, kicking boulders as I trudge over them, I like a bit more. I don't like too big a boot, but something in between. Lowtops are my go to.

I think they should have lasted longer, but I got a good full year out of them. The leather ripped off on one side where the pinky toe is. The sole also started to rip away. Had those those two things not happened, I could get another season out of them. I guess I have to remember that the sole isn't going to wear out like street shoes, and just accept the short comings.

I forgot that I also have some Salomon XA 3D Ultras besides the TechAmphibians. I don't like the fit of the XA 3D as well and I haven't worn them much. I have pretty narrow feet, and I'm not convinced the quicklace system works well enough for hiking shoes. Moral of the story is every shoe has to be tried on and worn on the trail to be proven, even if it is the same brand as a shoe you love.

There seem to be several different versions of the Moab. Any input as to whether or not all models show similar problems? REI is touting exclusivity on a new leather model of the Moabs. I have a $100 REI gift card so finding shoes there would be a bonus.
I've had three different versions. My first pair, the Moab Gore-Tex XCR, lasted the longest. They're still usable, but no longer waterproof. I never had any blow-outs or visible holes, but the Gore-Tex material must have some tears. The soles are also pretty worn and don't provide much traction. I retired them to canyoneering-only duty since I don't expect much more than a few more uses out of them.

The second pair I got were the Moab waterproof. I think they're just Merrell's version of Gore-Tex. The waterproof membrane didn't last long before getting holes in it. They're also not as breathable as the Gore-Tex XCRs, and they're noticeably heavier. There are a couple of very small holes in the mesh upper after more than a year of use, but they've still got a fair amount of life left in them.

My third pair were the plain ol' Moab Ventilators. I only used them a few months before I got a tear in the leather part of the upper (on the outside of the foot where the toes bend) which has only gotten bigger with use. These are the lightest but least comfortable (on rocky ground--the soles seem thinner) of my Moabs. I only use them now for walking the dogs close to home.

I wore the Ventilator mid and the Gore-Tex mid. Neither of my pairs fell apart, but they did lose traction as time went on. I put over 350 miles on the Ventilator and over 400 on the Gore-Tex. I could still wear either pair for general hiking, but need a new pair with better traction for the steep stuff. I'm of the opinion that you can only put so many miles on any shoe before you start having issues.

Thanks for the feedback. I just picked up a pair of the Moab "leather" waterproof model. Trying them side-by-side with the regular waterproof in the store, I could tell the leathers have a narrower heel and instep. Since I'm buying up a size from my usual to get more toe space, the tighter fit seemed beneficial.

They're an once or two heavier for the same-size regular Moab waterproof. However, the materials appear to be a bit more robust. Time will tell.

Thanks for the feedback. I just picked up a pair of the Moab "leather" waterproof model. Trying them side-by-side with the regular waterproof in the store, I could tell the leathers have a narrower heel and instep. Since I'm buying up a size from my usual to get more toe space, the tighter fit seemed beneficial.

They're an once or two heavier for the same-size regular Moab waterproof. However, the materials appear to be a bit more robust. Time will tell.
Good to know. I have a narrow foot.

I really missed having waterproof shoes on the last hike as well. Just a little toe dip means wet socks so while I like the Camp Fours quite a bit, I'm still on the search for a new boot that is both lightweight, sticky-soled and waterproof.

I really miss the sticky sole on my Vasque Breeze Boots for my Mountain Trips. They have the Vibram sole as well and are awful, especially on slick rocks.
But then I found some really cool stuff: The Five Ten Stealth Paint Kit

I ordered a kit and will apply to my boots the next few days. I just need to clean them first. I'm super exited to see if this kit works.
If it does it will be so awesome. I'm so spoiled with all my Five Ten shoes but hate to have them on Mountain trips where I need more ankle support.

I really miss the sticky sole on my Vasque Breeze Boots for my Mountain Trips. They have the Vibram sole as well and are awful, especially on slick rocks.
But then I found some really cool stuff: The Five Ten Stealth Paint Kit

I ordered a kit and will apply to my boots the next few days. I just need to clean them first. I'm super exited to see if this kit works.
If it does it will be so awesome.

Keep us posted on that. I'd love to know if it actually works.

That's a cool product yvonne. It looks like it's more for climbing shoes and patching wear points than for completely re-soling your boots. I'll bet it'd be great for areas where your sole is starting to come delaminated from the uppers. Unfortunately they filmed it with a potato.

In doing some research, I found these kits which look like they're meant to resole your entire shoe. I may have to give it a try.

I picked up a pair of Innov8 Rockites PIF off BPL recently. They are extremely light and have great grip. The jury is still out on comfort.

I currently backpack in a fairly hefty set of lowa boots. As my kit lightens up, I'm hoping to get much lighter.

I currently backpack in a fairly hefty set of lowa boots. As my kit lightens up, I'm hoping to get much lighter.

I love Lowas. Hefty boot but can really tackle the rocky trails. I just scored the low top Tempest for $70. Going to try and make it my low top with hiker after I waterproof the suede. I like their Renegade model but too steep for my blood @$200

$70 is a good deal, Charlie. The Tempest are especially for the US-market and have here a amount of 100+.
But in the sum, most of the Lowas are more expensive in the States than here.
BTW, nice show.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 7 II LTE mit Tapatalk 4

La Sportiva Men's Crossover GTX Trail Running Shoe

Wear most of the time, except when crossing water deeper than the built in gators.

P1020850.JPG