What's Cooking?

All this food is looking great. I use the chipotle in adobo when I make chicken mole. Our list of recent cold weather items has been venison stew, costco rotisserie chicken enchiladas, then take the carcass to make broth and have homemade ramen with all the lovely toppings including ramen eggs.

I normally eat absolute trash when I'm camping--dinner is usually a cup of noodles or just chips or other salty snacks. But on my latest trip I brought the kitchen and whipped up some pretty decent dinners each night.

Soft tacos
IMG_7712.JPG

Chicken and snow peas with orange sauce
IMG_7961.JPG

Fried potatoes, smoked sausage, onions, and peppers
IMG_8047.JPG

Pork and beans, ground beef, onions, celery
IMG_8177.JPG

Toasted baguette with cream cheese and smoked salmon
IMG_8262.JPG

Pork chops and Spanish rice
IMG_8316.JPG

New York steaks
IMG_8451.JPG

I normally eat absolute trash when I'm camping--dinner is usually a cup of noodles or just chips or other salty snacks. But on my latest trip I brought the kitchen and whipped up some pretty decent dinners each night.

Soft tacos
View attachment 106165

Chicken and snow peas with orange sauce
View attachment 106166

Fried potatoes, smoked sausage, onions, and peppers
View attachment 106167

Pork and beans, ground beef, onions, celery
View attachment 106168

Toasted baguette with cream cheese and smoked salmon
View attachment 106169

Pork chops and Spanish rice
View attachment 106170

New York steaks
View attachment 106171

What do you call that dish with the potatoes and smoked sausage? It looks good.

What do you call that dish with the potatoes and smoked sausage? It looks good.
I don't have a name for it, but it's something my mom used to make when I was a kid. I used to make it at home (minus the onions and peppers for my picky wife and son) but my family doesn't like it much anymore, so it was nice being able to have it again for the first time in a while.

Today's supper is a Dutch Oven Santa Fe Soup.

IMG_1904.JPG
Brown the ground turkey, or ground beef if you prefer

IMG_1905.JPG
Add one yellow onion, chopped, cook until translucent

IMG_1907.JPG
Add two packets of taco seasoning, and then two packets of ranch dressing mix

IMG_1908.JPG
Add two cups of water

IMG_1909.JPG
Add one can of each of the following:
-black beans
-pinto beans
-dark red kidney beans

IMG_1910.JPG
-Add one can of Rotel with green chilies, or if you prefer to spice it up a bit use the Rotel with habaneros or chipotle
-Add one can of white shoepeg corn

IMG_1916.JPG
Let simmer for 2 hours

IMG_1918.JPG
And voila! Makes about five good sized bowls.

IMG_1919.JPG
I had a nice piece of sourdough baguette to go with my bowl of soup.

Okay, let's see what going on in the Scat kitchen tonight, shall we.

This soup is called sausage, cabbage, potato, leek soup and once again incorporates the stovetop Dutch oven.

This is a hearty soup and makes five large bowls.

IMG_1929.JPG
Two carrots and two celery stalks chopped
IMG_1933.JPG
Three leeks chopped
IMG_1930.JPG
Four red potatoes cubed
IMG_1936.JPG
One green cabbage chopped and three cloves of garlic minced. The image is only half of the green cabbage.
IMG_1932.JPG
Brown the smoked kielbasa, then remove to a bowl
IMG_1935.JPG
Add two tablespoons of olive oil, the carrots, celery and leeks, and soften up for five minutes
IMG_1938.JPG
Add cabbage and garlic and let them soften up for another four minutes or so
IMG_1939.JPG
IMG_1940.JPG
Add six cups of chicken or vegetable stock and the red potatoes
IMG_1942.JPG
Add the sausage back to the Dutch Oven along with one tablespoon of Italian seasoning, and one bay leaf. I also add some pepper to taste, and some red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil and then cover and let simmer for 20-25 minutes until potatoes are soft.
IMG_1944.JPG
Finished product.
IMG_1946.JPG
A nice large bowl and ....................................
IMG_1945.JPG
Some sourdough bread to have with it.

Since when isn't cabbage, potatoes and sausage real food? :thinking: I'm telling you that soup will fill you up @Bob and you'll think, "Damn, that's a mighty fine bowl of soup." :thumbsup: :thumbsup: And it will get you over that 2400' climb in the Beartooths this coming summer. :D
Don't think so .....

Any wildlife activity in Lamar?
That evening was fairly peaceful - just watched a few scattered bison grazing and a couple moose down near Soda Butte. Spectacular nonetheless.

But this morning around sunrise I was headed towards Ice Box to do some cross-country skiing when I spotted a dozen or more members of the Wapiti pack tracking east through Lamar Valley. Beautiful way to start the day - even had the pullout to myself for quite some time before anyone else came by.

And I almost ran headlong into a moose while going downhill around a corner on my skis - that certainly got the heart racing. Fortunately he just gave me a confused look and wandered off into the trees.

A chilly 19 degrees at my house this morning, so I enjoyed a hot bowl of rye berries, with some cinnamon and raisins of course, all while reading through, and taking it all in, @WasatchWill 's day 2 trip report in the Winds. There is not a better way to spend a Wednesday morning in my book. Happy Hump Day everybody!

Need to let this one cook for at least 30 minutes to soften up the berries a bit. :thumbsup:
IMG_1957.JPG