What's Cooking?

Your chipotle idea sounds like a winner. I'm going to try that the next time I make a pot of chili. I've got some smoked paprika on hand, is hot smoked different than regular smoked?
By hot smoked paprika, I mean a "spicy" variety as opposed to the mild version. Mild would be fine- it's that smoky tinge you are after.
And this is what we use for chipotle. A tablespoon pureed works for us, but we like our chili with a bit of a "burn". Start off with a smaller amount and see how it goes.
Screen-Shot-2021-12-28-at-10.58.12-AM.jpg

Pot of chili on. Plenty of the aforementioned Chipotle peppers and Adobe sauce in there to keep me warm on the upcoming cold nights. Only single digits just above zero forecast for the foreseeable future, so not too bad. Coldest I've seen it here is -30, although most winters we see a couple nights of -15 or -20. And yeah, I put beans in my chili. If it makes me a chili heretic, so be it!

20211228_134416.jpg

Pot of chili on. Plenty of the aforementioned Chipotle peppers and Adobe sauce in there to keep me warm on the upcoming cold nights. Only single digits just above zero forecast for the foreseeable future, so not too bad. Coldest I've seen it here is -30, although most winters we see a couple nights of -15 or -20. And yeah, I put beans in my chili. If it makes me a chili heretic, so be it!

View attachment 105791
Perhaps people would be mortified to know that my mom makes chili with beans and spaghetti noodles.

Perhaps people would be mortified to know that my mom makes chili with beans and spaghetti noodles.

OK the spaghetti noodles are a bit strange, but far be it from me to throw stones. It's also traditional in my area that chili is served with cinnamon rolls on the side, although I never have them when I make chili myself.

By hot smoked paprika, I mean a "spicy" variety as opposed to the mild version. Mild would be fine- it's that smoky tinge you are after.
And this is what we use for chipotle. A tablespoon pureed works for us, but we like our chili with a bit of a "burn". Start off with a smaller amount and see how it goes.
View attachment 105790

I'll check my local grocery store on Sunday and see if they carry it.

View attachment 105791

That looks mighty tasty!

something I've been using and liking lately is Kashmiri chili powder, available at that Indian grocery at 600 E, 300 S. It's flavorful and moderately spicy, but not nearly as hot as cayenne. I plan to take this along on all future camping trips!

When we open a fresh can, we puree the chilis using a handheld blender (could also chop fine), spread out 6 mm thick on parchment paper, and freeze. Then break off pieces as needed in future. All that chili talk made me hungry- a pot is simmering right now! With beans.

When we open a fresh can, we puree the chilis using a handheld blender (could also chop fine), spread out 6 mm thick on parchment paper, and freeze. Then break off pieces as needed in future. All that chili talk made me hungry- a pot is simmering right now! With beans.
That is a good idea for chipotles, to freeze them. You can also get them in a jar and keep them in the fridge and use them for all sorts of things.

Today was miso ramen. Store bought ramen noodes and miso paste, but did not have any eggs. My kids have broken my larger bowls so I also promptly went out before the grapple started falling to get a couple larger bowls for next time.

IMG_0755.jpg

That is a good idea for chipotles, to freeze them. You can also get them in a jar and keep them in the fridge and use them for all sorts of things.

Today was miso ramen. Store bought ramen noodes and miso paste, but did not have any eggs. My kids have broken my larger bowls so I also promptly went out before the grapple started falling to get a couple larger bowls for next time.

View attachment 105902

That looks good. Many moons ago, I used to date a lady from Japan who could make a mean miso soup.

One of my sons is extremely picky, but he will eat homemade chicken nuggets.
So he gets nuggets, and I did some thighs, tossed in jerk sauce and served with chicharron from the skin to celebrate the kids going back to school (haha).
IMG_07921.jpg

IMG_07941.jpg
There were green beans too, after I took the picture.