What's Cooking?

Lol...... 3 ft 4 in on the ground , still snowing. 13 deg. Hey 20 been closed and open last two days. Smoked pork ribs for dinner.....

Woke up to 68 here this morning..got a hot cup of coffee..may need some iced coffee instead!
Scatman, now ya see why I hoped it’d be nice n cool up on Gneiss Creek! Hope my Christmas present is Grizz lake temps of 55\35!

Looks great. Is that ground turkey?

Great minds think alike! Chili for dinner here too. Got 6 inches of snow and it just hit 0 and will continue to drop a bit more. Glad winter is finally coming to parts of the west!

Yes, it is ground turkey. I've made it with ground beef before too, but went with the leaner choice this time. Below zero is a great time for chili. That just means you'll need an extra dash of red pepper flakes in your chili. :) Stay safe and keep warm.

Lol...... 3 ft 4 in on the ground , still snowing. 13 deg. Hey 20 been closed and open last two days. Smoked pork ribs for dinner.....

Smoked ribs sound mighty good. You might need to bring a batch to the Beartooths in August to share. :D

Woke up to 68 here this morning..got a hot cup of coffee..may need some iced coffee instead!
Scatman, now ya see why I hoped it’d be nice n cool up on Gneiss Creek! Hope my Christmas present is Grizz lake temps of 55\35!

I think I might take the 68 degrees in the morning right about now. :)

Grizzly Lake is about 800 feet higher than Gneiss Creek so it should be slightly cooler there. :thumbsup: And besides, the breeze that you'll be creating running from the grizz will cool you off some too, or at least those around you. :p

Last edited:
Minus 35 here today- a good morning to put the Christmas turkey carcass into the stock pot, with soup on the menu for tonight. I don't think Piper approves of that plan, though! And yes- the hardwood floor badly needs re-finishing. It's on the to-do list for 2022.
P1150616-copy.jpg

Yes, it is ground turkey. I've made it with ground beef before too, but went with the leaner choice this time. Below zero is a great time for chili. That just means you'll need an extra dash of red pepper flakes in your chili. :) Stay safe and keep warm.
Scatman, have you ever put a bit of canned chipotle or hot smoked paprika into your chili along with the sautéing veggies? Extra yummy if you like things on the spicy side! We like about a TBSP in the quantity you show there, but I'd start with less to get a feel for it.

Scatman, have you ever put a bit of canned chipotle or hot smoked paprika into your chili along with the sautéing veggies? Extra yummy if you like things on the spicy side! We like about a TBSP in the quantity you show there, but I'd start with less to get a feel for it.

-35 sounds bitter cold to me! The lowest I've ever experienced is -13.

Your turkey soup sounds wonderful.

Your chipotle idea sounds like a winner. I'm going to try that the next time I make a pot of chili. I've got some smoked paprika on hand, is hot smoked different than regular smoked?

Minus 35 here today- a good morning to put the Christmas turkey carcass into the stock pot, with soup on the menu for tonight. I don't think Piper approves of that plan, though! And yes- the hardwood floor badly needs re-finishing. It's on the to-do list for 2022.
View attachment 105751
Woke up to it bein’ 105 degrees warmer here than there!

View attachment 105751
I thought our -20F last night was bad. I always forget that our northern neighbors usually have whatever we're having but colder. Excellent idea on the soup!