What did you buy today?

My Osprey is worn out and I had chosen NOT to buy one in the Osprey ultralight line (Atmos?) because it looked entirely uncomfortable. Padding and straps were suitably undersized to make the ulrtalight moniker.

You need to try on an Atmos AG (anti gravity). It's their newer suspension system.

Jackson, which osprey is it lighter than? How do you view the suspension and waist belt padding for carrying 40#? My Osprey is worn out and I had chosen NOT to buy one in the Osprey ultralight line (Atmos?) because it looked entirely uncomfortable. Padding and straps were suitably undersized to make the ulrtalight moniker.
I was referring to the Atmos 65. I got it just before the new AG suspension came out, but I believe the Atmos 65 AG is still over 4 pounds.
As for the suspension and hipbelt, it seems tougher and stronger than the weight recommendation suggests. I believe the recommended weight limit is 35 lbs, but I read this before buying, and the guy says he packed 50-60 pounds often and did well. The shoulder straps are wider and more comfortable than my Atmos' were.
I think the Exos is Osprey's lightweight line. Looks like they've got the AG straps on it as well.

You need to try on an Atmos AG (anti gravity). It's their newer suspension system.
That suspension is really nice. Thick, soft padding on the shoulders.

Jackson, which osprey is it lighter than? How do you view the suspension and waist belt padding for carrying 40#? My Osprey is worn out and I had chosen NOT to buy one in the Osprey ultralight line (Atmos?) because it looked entirely uncomfortable. Padding and straps were suitably undersized to make the ulrtalight moniker.

The Osprey Aether line is being reworked and you can preorder now at REI. I'm not sure about weight. I think the current, old model (on sale now) might be a few ounces lighter.
Y'all should be looking at ULA packs. Literally going and looking, trying on, testing. I bought the Catalyst and it handled 35-40 pounds in the South San Juan Wilderness very nicely.
Then my granddaughter talked me out of it.
Good luck. Finding a pack that works is a chore and a joy when you get a good one.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 52115

I had been eyeing this for a while. Trying to get my backpacking load lighter, and this one is over 2 pounds lighter than my Osprey. It's 60L, but it really seems like it can hold a fair bit more than my 65L Atmos. Looking forward to testing it out!

I got it at the backcountry warehouse in West Valley, but here's the link to it!

Great choice! I have had mine for two seasons now. Best pack ever! So much room for how light it is. Makes you get creative with packing because its one chamber and some stretch pockets. Got my base weight down to 14-16.5 lbs depending on which tripod I take with me. You will love it! It for sure takes pack fatigue out of hiking when you are backpacking.

11796418_10153580711909456_4256966460674537195_n.jpg

View attachment 52115

I had been eyeing this for a while. Trying to get my backpacking load lighter, and this one is over 2 pounds lighter than my Osprey. It's 60L, but it really seems like it can hold a fair bit more than my 65L Atmos. Looking forward to testing it out!

I got it at the backcountry warehouse in West Valley, but here's the link to it!

A friend has that pack and he really likes it except that he can't reach his water bottle. Personally, that would be a deal breaker for me.

@wsp_scott I am in the market for a lighter and smaller tripod. The specs for the silk Mini look great and I would be interested to hear about your experiences with the new buy. Maybe a gear review is in order :)

I just posted something in the gear review section. It is a pretty solid tripod.

I just ordered a Klymit Insulated Static V sleeping pad. On my latest camping trip my six-year-old Big Agnes Air Core was slowly deflating during the night, and after returning home I still can't find the leak to try patching it. It'll probably be a few weeks before I get to try the new pad out, but I'm hoping to get in a lot more camping nights this year compared to last.

I just ordered a Klymit Insulated Static V sleeping pad. On my latest camping trip my six-year-old Big Agnes Air Core was slowly deflating during the night, and after returning home I still can't find the leak to try patching it. It'll probably be a few weeks before I get to try the new pad out, but I'm hoping to get in a lot more camping nights this year compared to last.
Big Agnes seems to be aware of the fatal flaws in those older pads. I had a BA insulated air core that developed the same problem last Fall. I reported it to them, and then sent me a new model in exchange for my old one. Might be worth contacting them to get a free backup pad for your Klymit.

The Osprey Aether line is being reworked and you can preorder now at REI.

I've used an Aether since 2007 or 2008. It has been so comfortable and carries so well that I've not looked at anything else. Worn but tough enough to still be going. I did get an Atmos (years ago) but returned it as I found it not near as comfy and it was very hard to load up the gear in that thing. The Aether is easy to pack.

I was referring to the Atmos 65. I got it just before the new AG suspension came out, but I believe the Atmos 65 AG is still over 4 pounds.
As for the suspension and hipbelt, it seems tougher and stronger than the weight recommendation suggests. I believe the recommended weight limit is 35 lbs, but I read this before buying, and the guy says he packed 50-60 pounds often and did well. The shoulder straps are wider and more comfortable than my Atmos' were.
I think the Exos is Osprey's lightweight line. Looks like they've got the AG straps on it as well.

That suspension is really nice. Thick, soft padding on the shoulders.
I use the 65AG and have loaded it to 50+lbs for winter trips. Does the job but have to say the larger packs like the Xenith 88 carries the load MUCH nicer. At over 45lbs, the frame at the bottom of the hip belt seems to dig in a bit more and can get uncomfortable. Haven't tried the Exos but my LW buddies use em all the time for 3/4season and love it!

I liked the Granite Gear pack I had, super light, but the belt broke on me a couple of days into a back pack. Then I did not like it so much. Carry an extra belt!

Stove #5.
I'm a week late. I forgot about this thread.
Last Monday I was perusing the local, soon to close, Gander Mountain store. I was in search of the 110 gram MSR gas canisters. No canisters to be found.
I did stumble upon a new, old stock JetBoil Sol. How could I refuse?
https://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2012/03/jetboil-sol-aluminum-trail-report.html?m=1
The SOL joins the SVEA 123, Coleman Peak 1 Apex, Primus Himalayan Multi-fuel and a real relic of a canister stove that takes long dead French canisters.
By calculations, the SOL reduces my cook set weight by about 3/4 pounds. First field tests scheduled for August and September in Colorado and Wyoming.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk