What did you buy today?

Not today, but last month.
I was fidgeting because I knew I'd forgotten to pack something for my December trip to UT, and trying to figure out what.
Then it dawned on me that my trekking poles, which live in the trunk of my car so that it's impossible to leave them behind, were still in the car.
Meanwhile, I'm sitting in the Birmingham airport, about to take off on an afternoon flight to Grand Junction, and planning a midnight arrival to camp at Squaw Flat in the Canyonlands Needles District.
That turned into staying in Moab to wait for a gear store to open the next morning.

Since half of my first pair is somewhere in an inaccessible hole in the middle tier of a waterfall(where I was fortunate not to join it!), I now have 3 generations of Black Diamond Trail...
View attachment 106379
I bought a pair like the ones on top last year, except cork handles. They have been great, first time going with poles that didn't twist lock.

I just got a set of 4 Snow Peak stainless plates/bowls for my birthday. Since I'm either camping or staying in resort rentals (or bumming off generous friends), I will now have my own dishes instead of using paper plates or wondering where their plates have been (where do plates go at night when no one's looking?) Not to get all off-track, but I think I was traumatized as a kid when I read a story where some old guy let his dogs wash his plates every night after dinner. I know, a plastic set from WalMart is lots cheaper, but it's the aesthetic that counts, right? Especially when it's raining/snowing/windy and you're holed up feeling sorry for yourself. I will now see my sad reflection in my plate and put on some Bob Marley and be happy.

I just got a set of 4 Snow Peak stainless plates/bowls for my birthday. Since I'm either camping or staying in resort rentals (or bumming off generous friends), I will now have my own dishes instead of using paper plates or wondering where their plates have been (where do plates go at night when no one's looking?) Not to get all off-track, but I think I was traumatized as a kid when I read a story where some old guy let his dogs wash his plates every night after dinner. I know, a plastic set from WalMart is lots cheaper, but it's the aesthetic that counts, right? Especially when it's raining/snowing/windy and you're holed up feeling sorry for yourself. I will now see my sad reflection in my plate and put on some Bob Marley and be happy.

Happy B-day @Rockskipper! Not sure if this is belated or not.

Throw on some Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass and pretend I'm there, with us drinking a couple of celebratory Guinnesses.

Birthday_Mule.jpg

Last edited:
Not today, but last month.
I was fidgeting because I knew I'd forgotten to pack something for my December trip to UT, and trying to figure out what.
Then it dawned on me that my trekking poles, which live in the trunk of my car so that it's impossible to leave them behind, were still in the car.
Meanwhile, I'm sitting in the Birmingham airport, about to take off on an afternoon flight to Grand Junction, and planning a midnight arrival to camp at Squaw Flat in the Canyonlands Needles District.
That turned into staying in Moab to wait for a gear store to open the next morning.

Since half of my first pair is somewhere in an inaccessible hole in the middle tier of a waterfall(where I was fortunate not to join it!), I now have 3 generations of Black Diamond Trail...
View attachment 106379
In April 2018, we were getting ready to start our Boulder Mail Trail-Escalante 4-day trip. We parked our car at the Hwy 12 bridge, got into the shuttle driver's truck, and enjoyed the drive to the TH. We said goodbye to the driver, took a few photos, and then realized our poles were left behind in our car, miles back. No cell service, of course. I cried - my 54-year-old knees had been injured in a ski fall a few months earlier, and the poles were like a security blanket for me, especially given my worry about the descent into Death Hollow. No way to get our poles back without throwing away a lot of hours, so we started hiking without them. My husband found a good stick and gave it to me. (I'm sure he was sick of hearing me cry...) At the bottom of Death Hollow, we made 3 more sticks so we each could have 2. They were fine, and we had a fabulous trip, but I will NEVER forget my poles again!

In April 2018, we were getting ready to start our Boulder Mail Trail-Escalante 4-day trip. We parked our car at the Hwy 12 bridge, got into the shuttle driver's truck, and enjoyed the drive to the TH. We said goodbye to the driver, took a few photos, and then realized our poles were left behind in our car, miles back. No cell service, of course. I cried - my 54-year-old knees had been injured in a ski fall a few months earlier, and the poles were like a security blanket for me, especially given my worry about the descent into Death Hollow. No way to get our poles back without throwing away a lot of hours, so we started hiking without them. My husband found a good stick and gave it to me. (I'm sure he was sick of hearing me cry...) At the bottom of Death Hollow, we made 3 more sticks so we each could have 2. They were fine, and we had a fabulous trip, but I will NEVER forget my poles again!
There are some good quality walking sticks to be found in Death Hollow! I remember seeing a handful along the way when I went. Glad it wasn't a trip ruiner for you.

I have 3 pairs of trekking poles due to forgetting them on trips. They are a critical item when your shelter requires them to be set up.
I also have another pair of cheaper Black Diamonds from when I used to switch between vehicles.
Got those after having to stop by WalMart for some cheapies about 10yrs ago.
Just don't with the WalMart poles. I broke a flick lock one in the store, but bought the screw type, one of which collapsed while negotiating boulders on a riverbank just a few minutes from the TH, causing me to fall and almost take a swim.
"Outdoor Products":rolleyes:

I'm posting to tell you about the Aspen dump. It has a place where you can put stuff you don't want before it hits the landfill - a friend just scored two almost-new pairs of skis - K2s and Volkl. Check it out if you're in the area. Reverend Billy of the Church of Stop Shopping would be proud.

ETA: As for buying stuff, I had to return my Canon R6 as the LED screen quit. I'm going back to my little Hello Kitty camera. Bummer.

Last edited:
I'm posting to tell you about the Aspen dump. It has a place where you can put stuff you don't want before it hits the landfill - a friend just scored two almost-new pairs of skis - K2s and Volkl. Check it out if you're in the area. Reverend Billy of the Church of Stop Shopping would be proud.

ETA: As for buying stuff, I had to return my Canon R6 as the LED screen quit. I'm going back to my little Hello Kitty camera. Bummer.
Aspen has been probly the most wasteful place ive been too ... Spent a lot of time working the ski races there. I'd guess a direct relation to all the $$ and throwaway mentality of people that have too much money

Aspen has been probly the most wasteful place ive been too ... Spent a lot of time working the ski races there. I'd guess a direct relation to all the $$ and throwaway mentality of people that have too much money
Wish I had enough money to throw away new skis. Went resort skiing for the first time yesterday (rented our skis) and am still recovering from the sticker shock.

That Aspen dump is almost a reason to go to Aspen...

I finally broke down and spent the $ on an avy bag instead of skiing with a pack full of high hopes and optimism. We have a Black Diamond outlet in my town so that softened the blow some. Cheaper than a funeral either way!

JETFORCE-_PRO_PACK_Black_Deployed__65055.1570745294.jpg

Wish I had enough money to throw away new skis. Went resort skiing for the first time yesterday (rented our skis) and am still recovering from the sticker shock.

First time ever? Or in MT?