What did you buy today?

Ordered a Hilleberg Akto tent back in May and it finally arrived last week. I set it up in the front yard this afternoon. Of course, the two bosses of the house had to give their approval before I'm allowed to use it. :)
View attachment 102359
View attachment 102360
View attachment 102361
View attachment 102362
View attachment 102363
View attachment 102365
View attachment 102367
View attachment 102370
Echoing KWC. Planning to use it on your October Teton Wilderness trip this year? Looks like an awesome tent.

One can never have too many tents, eh? Looks nice … using it soon?

Echoing KWC. Planning to use it on your October Teton Wilderness trip this year? Looks like an awesome tent.

Yes, I am planning to, but right now it doesn't look good weather wise. I'll be making my final decision on whether to go or not this coming Wednesday.

Last edited:
forecast wed thru saturday up here... lowest is 50% chance showers..... id guess crappy weather.....

I'd need someone to carry it for me

I bought one a couple years ago and have yet to even inflate it. Who wants to plan a packrafting trip??

I bought one a couple years ago and have yet to even inflate it. Who wants to plan a packrafting trip??
I have been working on planning a pack rafting trip for a couple years now, unfortunately the price of the rafts keeps it from being anything other than fanciful planning at this point.

I got the Caribou this year and love it. I already took it to Montana and Utah. I planned for Big Bend but the Rio Grande ran dry. What model did you guys get?

I've been working on planning a pack rafting trip for a couple years now, unfortunately the price of the rafts keeps it from being anything other than fanciful planning at this point.
That's very relatable. I've had it on my list for probably 5 years now, but they keep getting more expensive, and I keep realizing how many other things there are that I could spend my money on that I would use significantly more often. Just makes it really hard to justify when I'd probably use it once a year.

I got the Caribou this year and love it. I already took it to Montana and Utah. I planned for Big Bend but the Rio Grande ran dry. What model did you guys get?
Same model. I've given up on trying to float anything until spring. The Dirty Devil looks doable, but I'm not as cold tolerant at @regehr (found an old trip report). I'd like to be able to link up some of the remote canyons on both sides of the CO River.

I have been working on planning a pack rafting trip for a couple years now, unfortunately the price of the rafts keeps it from being anything other than fanciful planning at this point.
not sure where you're based but in SLC these can be rented and I recommend that approach

Same model. I've given up on trying to float anything until spring. The Dirty Devil looks doable, but I'm not as cold tolerant at @regehr (found an old trip report). I'd like to be able to link up some of the remote canyons on both sides of the CO River.
yeah the DD in March was pretty cold, we flirted with hypothermia, but just a bit warmer gear and I think there'd have been zero problem.

later that year (or maybe it was the next year) we did a triangle-shaped trip where we hiked to the Green, floated a day, and then hiked back to vehicles and I'm a bit obsessed with that shape of trip now since it's so beautiful to not have to deal with vehicle shuttle. I have a couple other triangles saved up somewhere in my maps!

ok so the triangle packraft some friends and I did a few years ago involved Keg Spring Canyon which was sort of a punishing bushwhack, I can't really recommend it.

if I were to do one this coming spring, we'd park at Horseshoe Canyon at the usual spot for the Great Gallery, walk this canyon out to the Green, float down to Millard, regain the surface level via the Devil's Slide, and then go cross-country back to Horseshoe. There are a couple springs in that area and a digression to NE Spur Fork would be fun. there's a shorter version of this using Horsethief Canyon that also looks like it would work.

ok it's all coming back to me now... the Keg Spring bushwhack from hell was a bit of an unforced error. the better route to the Green is via Buck Canyon that I believe has a walking route in (I've not been there, heard this from @Udink) leading to lower Keg Spring which is very easy walking. then float around Bowknot Bend, this is just absolutely lovely water, land near Twomile (there's a super nice campsite along the river) and take the obvious trail back up to surface level in the vicinity of Colonnade Arches, then it's a bit of a walk back. we woke up next to the Green and were easily at Ray's for dinner. this was just two nights out, a really great short trip.

ok it's all coming back to me now... the Keg Spring bushwhack from hell was a bit of an unforced error. the better route to the Green is via Buck Canyon that I believe has a walking route in (I've not been there, heard this from @Udink) leading to lower Keg Spring which is very easy walking. then float around Bowknot Bend, this is just absolutely lovely water, land near Twomile (there's a super nice campsite along the river) and take the obvious trail back up to surface level in the vicinity of Colonnade Arches, then it's a bit of a walk back. we woke up next to the Green and were easily at Ray's for dinner. this was just two nights out, a really great short trip.
I've thought about doing the longer trip from Mineral Bottom to Spanish Bottom, revisiting the Maze with cached packrafts at the bottom, then hiking out Needles. Solo packrafting can be annoying from a shuttle perspective. In Montana I hired a tin-can bush plane to get me back and in Utah a hotel's shuttle driver took my car to the end while I was on the river. For the Green, I could always take a speed boat back to Moab if being lazy but I wish those boats weren't out there. On the other hand, carrying multiple days of poo in a bag up a few thousand vertical feet to the Needles parking wouldn't be fun on top of the packraft/paddle/vest weight.

It's too technical for me, but I think the Fat Packs and Paddles trip in the Dark Canyon area would be right up your alley. I've often thought of a simpler version where I leave the raft at the mouth of Dark/Colorado, then do the big Allen loop to return to the raft and float back to Hite without having to carry the packraft up the rubble slope.

It's too technical for me, but I think the Fat Packs and Paddles trip in the Dark Canyon area would be right up your alley. I've often thought of a simpler version where I leave the raft at the mouth of Dark/Colorado, then do the big Allen loop to return to the raft and float back to Hite without having to carry the packraft up the rubble slope.
Thanks, that's a great TR. I've done the Clearwater/Easter Pasture part of that route in a long day. It would be fun to add in Gypsum/Bowdie.

then do the big Allen loop to return to the raft and float back to Hite without having to carry the packraft up the rubble slope.
yeah one of my takeaways from a few packraft trips is their low weight is a bit deceptive. once you add in the paddle, pfd, throw bag, wetsuit, etc you're talking about a very noticeable amount of gear.

that said, I felt a little silly wearing a pfd on the Dirty Devil where the average depth was well under six inches :)