What did you buy today?

Dang it, this might cost me money. These would be great for my "emergency kit" that's a FAK+hygiene+repair kit, and my "valuables bag", that holds my electronics+daily carry stuff that remains stored throughout the trip.
Could make great gifts, too...

Dang it, this might cost me money. These would be great for my "emergency kit" that's a FAK+hygiene+repair kit, and my "valuables bag", that holds my electronics+daily carry stuff that remains stored throughout the trip.
Could make great gifts, too...

Yeah I am really excited to buy stuff from them again. The owner is going to let me know when they start doing custom dimensions. I need a knew tent stuff sack. I am thinking something like...'Home is Where My Tent Is' haha

Finally getting around to posting my latest piece of "gear."

I've wanted a flask for years but never found one to my liking until I found this one on STP's website.

KIMG0558.JPG

Fun Fact One: I'm not much of a drinker -- I still have a bottle or two of alcohol I bought when I turned 21.

Fun Fact Two: Look close, you might be able to see the photographer's reflection when he took the pic with his cell phone. :)

I guess you could call this survival gear :) I thought why not look stylish amid the crisis and support small business so I ordered a few masks from www.davidjwest.com I stop by his gallery in Springdale every year and buy something. I had to postpone my spring trip this year but still found a way to support David. In addition to some world class photography, he's a super nice guy. DSC_0174.JPG

I present to you the Patagonia Capilene Cool Daily Hoody:

If Patagonia does anything particularly well, IMO, it's synthetic baselayers. From Capilene 1/silkweight to their R1 grid fleece, I have had nothing but good experiences, and gotten nothing less than industry-leading performance and durability. I work out in the elements, and spend all my free time outdoors, so have dozens of baselayers(have actually used over a dozen brands) in various weights, and almost exclusively use Patagonia's for hiking and backpacking. To date, their Capilene 2 Lightweights(haven't used the newer versions sans numeral) are my all-time favorites for cold to moderate temps, and Capilene 1 for when it's hot.

Last year, I decided to try a sun hoody, and caught an UnderArmour one on clearance at an outlet. It's a close fit, designed for running, but I figured I'd test it mowing grass in Alabama, then take it out West to CO or UT.
VideoCapture_20200311-003057.jpg
It performs well, but is a little tight, and gets on the odorous side after just a day or two. I really like it, though, and it made me want to look for something that suited me a little better.

Patagonia recently introduced their Cool Daily line. After debating for some time whether it was something I'd actually use frequently enough to justify, I decided to try the hoody version.
After the mandatory grass-cutting, and a couple of hikes, the short version is: I love it.
Breathes well, fits well, and it's very soft-feels like nothing on the skin. I don't think it dries super fast, but that's hard to judge in high humidity. Like any great piece of clothing or gear, it just disappears in use, and really calls no attention to itself. Even when it's completely soaked with sweat, you have to feel the material for that to really register.
I can see getting a short sleeve T, maybe even a long sleeve one, in spite of having a Capilene 1 version that's still in use. I liked having the hood in the evening when the bugs were buzzing about, and having something between my head and Exped pillow while sleeping, but sun protection isn't a priority in the South, except when out on the water, as most of my hiking is almost 100% under tree cover.

It's good stuff!
VideoCapture_20200623-144800.jpg

20200616_214205.jpg

20200616_213502.jpg

Last edited:
Vertically...inside...? Lol easier to provide the link!

Thanks for sharing. This will come in handy.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The original version Tarptent Notch that I've been using for the last 8yrs has started getting super saggy when wet, and last week one of the struts on the ends poked through its sleeve, so it was timely that the inner net for my Solomid XL arrived yesterday.
Along with a higher pitch for more ventilation, it's ready for summer use:)
Just gotta change the length and attachment point on that piece of shock cord at the rear.
Videocapture from before my phone stopped recording due to "Temperature too high to use Camera."
Maybe I need to buy an AC unit for the tarp, next...
VideoCapture_20200630-123521.jpg

Finally bought a road bike! I've been thinking about getting one for years - easy exercise from home. I rolled the dice with a nice, but cheaper (brand) Motobecane. Fingers crossed it's not a lemon.

I've been riding a Motobecane mountain bike since 2009 and haven't had any issues with it.

I've been riding a Motobecane mountain bike since 2009 and haven't had any issues with it.
That's good to hear! I figured it'd be ok. But if you start searching through forums, there are some that say to stay away.

Kayaks are the new toilet paper. Or at least ten footers suitable for fishing are...

Just picked up this pescador pro 100 used after the longest holiday traffic haul out to SLC. Literally the only one available within half a continent that didn’t come with a month or two backorder wait.

C9E782DA-8F74-460F-9079-16A73B96A2C7.jpeg

Last edited:
I present to you the Patagonia Capilene Cool Daily Hoody:

If Patagonia does anything particularly well, IMO, it's synthetic baselayers. From Capilene 1/silkweight to their R1 grid fleece, I have had nothing but good experiences, and gotten nothing less than industry-leading performance and durability. I work out in the elements, and spend all my free time outdoors, so have dozens of baselayers(have actually used over a dozen brands) in various weights, and almost exclusively use Patagonia's for hiking and backpacking. To date, their Capilene 2 Lightweights(haven't used the newer versions sans numeral) are my all-time favorites for cold to moderate temps, and Capilene 1 for when it's hot.

Last year, I decided to try a sun hoody, and caught an UnderArmour one on clearance at an outlet. It's a close fit, designed for running, but I figured I'd test it mowing grass in Alabama, then take it out West to CO or UT.
View attachment 89647
It performs well, but is a little tight, and gets on the odorous side after just a day or two. I really like it, though, and it made me want to look for something that suited me a little better.

Patagonia recently introduced their Cool Daily line. After debating for some time whether it was something I'd actually use frequently enough to justify, I decided to try the hoody version.
After the mandatory grass-cutting, and a couple of hikes, the short version is: I love it.
Breathes well, fits well, and it's very soft-feels like nothing on the skin. I don't think it dries super fast, but that's hard to judge in high humidity. Like any great piece of clothing or gear, it just disappears in use, and really calls no attention to itself. Even when it's completely soaked with sweat, you have to feel the material for that to really register.
I can see getting a short sleeve T, maybe even a long sleeve one, in spite of having a Capilene 1 version that's still in use. I liked having the hood in the evening when the bugs were buzzing about, and having something between my head and Exped pillow while sleeping, but sun protection isn't a priority in the South, except when out on the water, as most of my hiking is almost 100% under tree cover.

It's good stuff!
View attachment 89650

View attachment 89651

View attachment 89652

I picked up on of those last year and another this year. They are my new favorite shirts to wear when hiking, fishing, or doing pretty much anything outdoors. I love that I can protect so much of my skin from the Utah/Idaho sun yet still stay relatively cool. As far as drying quickly I can only attest that in the low humidity, high wind areas I spend a fair amount of time in it doesn't stay wet long.

Um...because two custom packs wasn't enough... haha
Stop me, I have a problem LOL
This pack is made from Chicken Tramper Gear! The customer service was so great. Pretty sure I was just emailing back and forth with one of the two owners. They even did some extra customizations and didn't charge me!! So far, this is the first pack where I got my measurements right and it actually sits where it is supposed to! I cannot wait to test it out!!

20200729_213910.jpg

20200729_213602.jpg

This pack is made from Chicken Tramper Gear!

I like the what look to be pockets on the shoulder straps -- would be the perfect place to stow a phone/small camera or a map or two. Also, that is a most excellent floor rug. :)

My old North Face Slickrock tent was starting to show its age. . . so a little while back I picked up a new backcountry shelter; a REI Quarter Dome 2 SL. Finally had a chance to set it up for a test fit. Plan to break it in this September in Yellowstone.

5J5A4397.JPG

I like the what look to be pockets on the shoulder straps -- would be the perfect place to stow a phone/small camera or a map or two. Also, that is a most excellent floor rug. :)

Yeah, they let you pick out two additional things with your pack! Like pockets or water bottle pocket or...fanny pack. And you can customize the colors on that too!!

Aww thanks, if you haven't already noticed from some of my posts, the rug, and the shirt I am wearing in the photo, I am obsessed with Studio Ghibli haha!

Um...because two custom packs wasn't enough... haha
Stop me, I have a problem LOL
This pack is made from Chicken Tramper Gear!
Girl, you are the devil! I managed to avoid buying any of those double-sided rolltop bags, but CTUG has some great accessories.
As soon as I get the dimensions for one of their pouches, I'm getting like 5 different things for me and a friend. Love those clips they use for attaching to shoulder straps, and the way the lengths can be adjusted.
You should change that signature to "Because I enable":roflmao:
My old North Face Slickrock tent was starting to show its age. . .
Well, I guess so! Mine actually looks fine, but hasn't had its waterproofness checked in a long time.
When I bought it, maybe 20yrs ago(?), the Slickrock was "ultralight"!

Girl, you are the devil! I managed to avoid buying any of those double-sided rolltop bags, but CTUG has some great accessories.
As soon as I get the dimensions for one of their pouches, I'm getting like 5 different things for me and a friend. Love those clips they use for attaching to shoulder straps, and the way the lengths can be adjusted.
You should change that signature to "Because I enable":roflmao:

Sooooooooorrryy haha, but Yay! I want to help small businesses and help you guys find stuff that makes the outdoors even more enjoyable! Hahaha I actually have a couple pouches from Superior Wilderness Designs and they use the same clips. My water bottle clip ended up breaking, but all the other clips stayed strong. I am excited to test these ones out though.