What did you buy today?

I just bought a winter backpack where I can strap my backcountry ski on it.

Which one? When I got one first thing my wife said was wtf another backpack? lol

Which one? When I got one first thing my wife said was wtf another backpack? lol

I bought the Osprey Kresta 30 snow backpack. It has the nice straps to secure the backcountry ski and I hope it might also hold snowshoes strapped up.
And yeah, I was really hesitant to get another backpack.
But the heck it will be well used this season with my Yellowstone winter trip coming up in about 2.5 weeks

I bought the Osprey Kresta 30 snow backpack. It has the nice straps to secure the backcountry ski and I hope it might also hold snowshoes strapped up.
And yeah, I was really hesitant to get another backpack.
But the heck it will be well used this season with my Yellowstone winter trip coming up in about 2.5 weeks

That's a nice looking pack. I bought a Gregory Targhee pack last year and have been really happy with it. Looks to be a similar design to what you got, I think you'll be pretty happy carrying your skis with that pack. I have been able to carry snowshoes with mine, also.

That's a nice looking pack. I bought a Gregory Targhee pack last year and have been really happy with it. Looks to be a similar design to what you got, I think you'll be pretty happy carrying your skis with that pack. I have been able to carry snowshoes with mine, also.

I tried many different brands of backpacks but so far the Osprey packs work best for me. Not always the cheapest option but so far I had no issue at all.
The Gregory looks good as well. If my pack will be similar to it I'll be more than happy.

Big osprey fan too, but my ski pack is a mammut 35 liter. Only non-Osprey pack I have I think.

I'm with you guys, I've tried several brands of packs but my Osprey and Gregory are by far my favorites.

I recently bought a Katabatic Bristlecone bivy to use with my new Solomid XL when conditions warrant.
This is the 5'6" version, bought based on its specs compared to measurements from my old ID eVent Unishelter. It is indeed adequately sized for me, with room for quite a bit of stuff in addition to my 6' Exped pads and 6' Wide Katabatic Palisade.

Very timely purchase, as between lots of condensation and windblown snow(in spite of the shelter being almost slammed to the ground), conditions certainly did warrant its first use.
Definitely not my choice setup for regular use in "4 season" conditions, but livable in the short term, and really saved the day when things looked like this:

Yesterday on my way to my over night trip , I picked up a Gregory 65L stout , helinox chair , sawyer mini , set of trekking poles , sea to summit pillow, big Agnes sleep pad , big Agnes 20 sleeping bag , optimus stove , goal zero solar panel , emu hammock , osprey hydration bladder, and some more odd ball items . All for $105 !!!!!!!!! I guess this guy used this all on a month long trip and called it good. I love offer up !!!!

Picked up a Nemo Tensor reg/wide. Reached my aggravation limit with the XLite.

Picked up a Nemo Tensor reg/wide. Reached my aggravation limit with the XLite.

I wonder how you like it?

I was SO close to getting a Nemo pad. I have had my Xlite for 7 years and its longevity compared to the BA and other pads I have had issues with, pushed me to splurge for warm winter nights... so I went with a large Xtherm, and now my shoulders and arms have space they have not had in years!
I am interested still in the Nemo, perhaps I will get one, if things get back to any kind of normal, for my daughter. Then I can borrow it.

I have an xtherm for winter, it’s great.

Nemo has been sitting in the amazon box for two weeks ;)

How quickly did it charge your phone? And from what percentage to full in that time? Very interested in these. A skier I follow has a large panel on top of his truck.

How quickly did it charge your phone? And from what percentage to full in that time? Very interested in these.

I'm the kind of guy that gets nervous when his gas tank drops below 3/4, so needless to say I usually plug my phone in every night. On this occasion I had forgotten to plug it in overnight and it was at about 80%. The panel charges based on solar intensity -- charging rates of 2 to 5+ watts are available (recommended phone charging is 4+ watts). On this sunny day the phone was 100% charged when I checked it after an hour of cutting wood.

Weight of the panel is 170 ounces. The optional battery bank is 8.8 ounces.

Advertising has pictures of the solar panels hanging from backpacks as a person is hiking -- I think a better approach would be to have the solar panel charge the battery bank at basecamp (then charge your phone from the battery bank overnite) if you can afford the extra weight. . . and if the sun is out. :cool:

The REI basecamp 4 arrived. This thing is enormous compared to what we had been using. Hopefully we will get the chance to set it up somewhere other than our yard soon.

26f79d684996ea647d805a67585a37b4.jpg