What did you buy today?

It was actually yesterday, but I bought my first bear canister. I've always made do with hanging and sometimes an Ursack, but I'm planning several long hikes in can-mandated (candated?) areas after retirement this spring. :cool: <dancing bears go here> :cool:

Ice ax leash, Hillsound trail crampons to replace my destroyed microspikes, and some new TSL expedition snowshoes to see if they are better or equal to my ancient and very beat up MSR lightning ascents. The new MSRs are outrageously expensive.

It was actually yesterday, but I bought my first bear canister. I've always made do with hanging and sometimes an Ursack, but I'm planning several long hikes in can-mandated (candated?) areas after retirement this spring. :cool: <dancing bears go here> :cool:

Out of curiosity, where ya headed?

A sampling of multisport monday I guess...

BD carbon Whippets

Goose breast retreival cylinders

"Please get your damn poles organized" wife appeasing wall rack

Out of curiosity, where ya headed?
First up is the Four Pass Loop between Aspen and Crested Butte CO. Normally I avoid busy places like that (and hence the can requirement) but I've wanted to do that loop since I spent a summer in Crested Butte in 1981, so I'm finally going to do it (assuming there are no permit issues...there's a new reservation requirement in 2020 and I don't know how it will go). I'm also planning some exploration of the Olympic Peninsula, and the beaches there require a can. I've got my eye on a couple of routes in Montana's Beartooths, much of which is above treeline, so I may take a can for those (haven't decided yet). Eventually I'll hit the Sierra too, though that's probably a year or two off.

Bonus points if you can find the pooch photobombing the pic.

LOL I was glaring at the little statue between the backpacks. 'Is that a cat or a dog...?'

Then I proceeded to scroll down the rest of the thread and saw the actual dog at the bottom of the photo haha.

First up is the Four Pass Loop between Aspen and Crested Butte CO. Normally I avoid busy places like that (and hence the can requirement) but I've wanted to do that loop since I spent a summer in Crested Butte in 1981, so I'm finally going to do it (assuming there are no permit issues...there's a new reservation requirement in 2020 and I don't know how it will go). I'm also planning some exploration of the Olympic Peninsula, and the beaches there require a can. I've got my eye on a couple of routes in Montana's Beartooths, much of which is above treeline, so I may take a can for those (haven't decided yet). Eventually I'll hit the Sierra too, though that's probably a year or two off.

I’m looking forward to the Four Pass Loop permits so I can finally do it!

Goose Breast Retrieval Cylinders made me smile. I assume they do double duty as Duck Breast retrieval cylinders as well :)

Good on you for appeasing the wife as well :)

Maybe a larger duck? I got BB size shot (the pic was just a random screenshot off cabelas). You hunt?

I am trying to convince my wife we need to move to the western slope and buy a place that either has or has the room for something like a 30x40 shed. Need room to breathe and room for toys, neither of which is working out on the i25 corridor :( .

Maybe a larger duck? I got BB size shot (the pic was just a random screenshot off cabelas). You hunt?

I am trying to convince my wife we need to move to the western slope and buy a place that either has or has the room for something like a 30x40 shed. Need room to breathe and room for toys, neither of which is working out on the i25 corridor :( .

Not a hunter, but interested in the idea, just hoped/assumed that what got a goose would get a duck :)

30x40 shed is big you must have a very understanding wife if that is the space you need :)

Ice ax leash, Hillsound trail crampons to replace my destroyed microspikes, and some new TSL expedition snowshoes to see if they are better or equal to my ancient and very beat up MSR lightning ascents. The new MSRs are outrageously expensive.

I'm glad I got my lighting ascents last year, and on sale. I noticed they increased the price and changed the binding system. I will be interested to read reviews of the new system. I really liked the simplicity of the 3 strap front binding system.

I'm glad I got my lighting ascents last year, and on sale. I noticed they increased the price and changed the binding system. I will be interested to read reviews of the new system. I really liked the simplicity of the 3 strap front binding system.

Likewise always looking every year at different snowshoes and saw the changes to MSR.

@Hiker Seth interested in what you think of the TSL once you have them.
With the TSL did you look at the hyperflex models with flexible decks before getting the Expedition? They are more $, but those are intriguing to me. I may try to rent some once we are into the winter.

Likewise always looking every year at different snowshoes and saw the changes to MSR.

@Hiker Seth interested in what you think of the TSL once you have them.
With the TSL did you look at the hyperflex models with flexible decks before getting the Expedition? They are more $, but those are intriguing to me. I may try to rent some once we are into the winter.

They just arrived today and they look good. Smaller than my LA so they probably don't float as well but I like the binding system and the fact that all the metal components are changeable. So once I ding them up completely I can get new parts and just bolt them on. I'll be carrying them this Thursday but I doubt that the higher summits have enough snow to use them yet.

I did look at the hyperflex models but they don't have the steel crampon sidewalls I need for the steep icy slopes of New England. There are a lot of places where I use snowshoes that could justify crampons except that you transition from six foot drifts to windswept ice continuously.

Both models are $188 right now on REI with the 20% coupon.

I was able to hold some of the new models with the new binding and I wasn't impressed. Seemed thin and bit brittle. Time will tell. I have had a lot of issues with the heel straps on the old models. Takes three tries to get them to stay on well. Aside from that they are so good. I love using their snowshoes. $319 is absolute highway robbery though. I think I paid less than $180 for my older pair. Supposedly the new bindings will be available to retrofit the older models at some point.

I too have the old model (and like them), but I checked out the new ones at REI a while back. Didn't try them on, but it seems pretty obvious that there's no way to adjust how far forward (or back) your foot is. For average folks, the system probably puts the ball-of-foot in the right place. For those of us with size 15s, I question whether they'd work at all. I hope my old ones last a while.

Finally ordered a packraft. Been on my short list for a while, and Alpacka is running a 10% off sale now, which helped a bit.

Of course now I have to plan some trips to make use of it.

Finally ordered a packraft. Been on my short list for a while, and Alpacka is running a 10% off sale now, which helped a bit.

Thanks for the tip! Which one did you get? I'm debating whether to get a Caribou.

Thanks for the tip! Which one did you get? I'm debating whether to get a Caribou.

Went with a plain open top classic. The caribou did appeal to me, but I have plans to use the packraft here in Nebraska as well as on out-of-state trips, so the extra durability seemed a good idea to me on something that will hopefully be used regularly. I have no inclinations to using it on whitewater, so the open top should be just fine for me.

I had an eye on it but would rather like to get an inflatable solo kayak again. Now I need to look into these and see which ones are worth considering.

The SMD Deschutes Zero-G I posted back in August was returned without being used, as closer inspection revealed bad stitching and a hole at the main guyout that wasn't readily visible from the outside.
I've continued to use my Tarptent Notch since, but having liked the Deschutes very much, still wanted something similar, but of higher quality.
The Deschutes felt like a tarp. It's replacement, a MLD Solomid XL, is silnylon, and double the weight(yes, it weighs a whole pound!), but feels like a freaking bomb shelter in comparison.

Its maiden voyage will be in the TN woods next Tuesday, but the following week it'll be on top of some NC mountains with my friend's new Nemo Kunai, soaking up some wind:thumbsup: