What car should I buy?

Except it's on a Dodge

@LarryBoy you are a better Forester owner than I was! Free spinning wheels at two diagonal corners was enough for me. I tapped out of Egypt access road.

Neighbor just got the XL bulid on a new 2500: https://www.aev-conversions.com/vehicles/prospector-xl-2020/prospector-xl-build-and-price/

No lust worse than truck lust, let me tell you...

As I said to a friend the other day, the best thing Ram has going for it is the AEV stuff. Mule just put their Baja Runner build up for sale if you've got $150k burning a hole in your pocket. I'll be driving up to Portland to have them put a tray on my new truck in March. Hoping my build turns out better though. :lol:

All that said, I agree with @Bob for once on it being a Dodge (aka Chrysler, aka JEEP!!! :oops:). But this is all veering way off course from the 'buy a Subaru theme'! :lol:

I'm not a huge fan of the new Foresters, just because it's all big and round and much less space-efficient than my old Forester. But it might end up being the best choice still. I'll definitely look at the new RAV-4. The old ones had a really short back, but that car's been completely redesigned if I remember
I went through this a few years back, looking to swap out my Element for a hybrid with slightly more clearance. I gave up, not finding anything as versatile (no carpet is a huge plus) and not liking how most of the newer compact SUVs all look like rounded station wagons. The Honda service desk guy advised me to hang onto my Element until it dies.

Looking for some advice on vehicle selection as it relates to backcountry adventuring. My '02 Forester is begging to be put to pasture, and I'm not quite sure what to replace it with.

Must-haves:
  1. 4WD or AWD
  2. Long enough to sleep in the back (I'm 5'7"ish) - I can build a sleep platform like I have in my current car
  3. Adequate ground clearance for those crappy roads to the trailhead (Cedar Mesa, Escalante, etc)
  4. Practical enough to be driven on an everyday basis. I don't have a super-long commute.
I'm thinking something in the crossover-small SUV family. Not a pickup - that's a little too much vehicle for my needs. I'm probably looking for something in the 5-8 yrs old range.

Anybody else have similar needs? What vehicle did you go with?

In action: #crappybeatupsubarulife. Eagle-eyed folks will spot the BCP sticker.

View attachment 94492

This almost checks all your wants, except for the small crossover suv. https://earthroamer.com/

With that being said, I have a Sierra that I use to tow my 27’travel trailer and I have a 2020 Outback. We have two trips planned for the trailer and 5 already with the Outback. The Outback is so capable off-road that it gets my wife and I to better boondock camping and hiking/mtb trails.
Oh, I’m 5’11”....[emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This almost checks all your wants, except for the small crossover suv. https://earthroamer.com/

With that being said, I have a Sierra that I use to tow my 27’travel trailer and I have a 2020 Outback. We have two trips planned for the trailer and 5 already with the Outback. The Outback is so capable off-road that it gets my wife and I to better boondock camping and hiking/mtb trails.

Ha! Bet that thing's fuel consumption is measured in gallons per mile instead of the other way around!

W

We use to see 2-3 of those or similar each summer but haven't seen one in several years. My wife drove up to Deadhorse in her Vibe one summer with some friends . They pulled up next to one of these and had to smile as she spent about $40 on gas to get there and who knows how much the ER folks spent. I guess the Vibe lacks the "cool" factor a bit.

W

We use to see 2-3 of those or similar each summer but haven't seen one in several years. My wife drove up to Deadhorse in her Vibe one summer with some friends . They pulled up next to one of these and had to smile as she spent about $40 on gas to get there and who knows how much the ER folks spent. I guess the Vibe lacks the "cool" factor a bit.

Exactly. That’s why I only use my truck and trailer for in state trips. The Subaru OB will take us to our more remote locations and out of state adventures.

I am just starting the same evaluation. Course I’m 6’5” so I’ve sorta resorted to the fact I won’t be sleeping much in the cars I look at. I’m getting rid of my Mazdadon (2014 Cx5) which is a wonderful drive but need more space for the family when we travel together, and need a bit more guts to pass on the mountain roads up here. Gotta test drive with the new explorer ST Saturday (really weird needing to prebook test drives I might add) and a Durango RT. Will also be trying out the Highlander XSE before my mind is made up I suspect. Just to toss a few more options on the table.