What am I doing wrong with shoe selection?

Just following up with an update: I finally made it to the REI in Orlando so that I could try on shoes on their little rock hill. I wound up going with the Moab Vent mids in a full size bigger. They didn't have half sizes and I felt like my toes were too close to the tip in my regular size (and I was there in the morning). I still felt my foot slipping a little but definitely less than before and used a heel lock knot. I also got some Superfeet insoles. My YNP trip is in two weeks so I'll report back afterwards. I really hope these are the right ones for me because it is going to be a looong 8 days if they arent. Thanks for all the advice!

Can't you put some miles on them before you're stuck with them in the field?

Just following up with an update: I finally made it to the REI in Orlando so that I could try on shoes on their little rock hill. I wound up going with the Moab Vent mids in a full size bigger. They didn't have half sizes and I felt like my toes were too close to the tip in my regular size (and I was there in the morning). I still felt my foot slipping a little but definitely less than before and used a heel lock knot. I also got some Superfeet insoles. My YNP trip is in two weeks so I'll report back afterwards. I really hope these are the right ones for me because it is going to be a looong 8 days if they arent. Thanks for all the advice!

@tropicalwanderer - good luck. If the new Superfeet insoles are wider out front than the Merrell insole, then we use a scissor to cut the Superfeet out front, trace with a pen, use the Merrell insole as guideline. (You probably already know to remove the Merrell insole and only use the Superfeet insole during hiking).

Can't you put some miles on them before you're stuck with them in the field?
I can and definitely will. The only issue is that I live in South Florida so there aren't too many places where I can test how they feel during descent. On a positive note, my route in YNP doesn't feature any huge climbs or descents but there is definitely some elevation change.

@tropicalwanderer - good luck. If the new Superfeet insoles are wider out front than the Merrell insole, then we use a scissor to cut the Superfeet out front, trace with a pen, use the Merrell insole as guideline. (You probably already know to remove the Merrell insole and only use the Superfeet insole during hiking).

Thanks for the tip @Titans, I replaced the Merrell insoles right at the store and they seemed to fit perfectly.

I wore a brand spanking new pair of Moab Ventilators (albeit low tops) on my Mary Mountain Hike (21.1 miles total) in Yellowstone on Monday and I had no issues whatsoever.