Wet canyons compact cameras - recommended waterproof v non-waterproof

Ross

I’ve posted this on canyoneering as well as photography as really it only affects wet canyoneers.
I’m fed up missing good shots because it means taking my good DSLR, or even my compact Panasonic point & shoot, out of & back in to drybags, but wouldn’t mind a good quality small under $850 camera still rather than using a phone in wet /sandy/muddy canyons.
Looking for recommendations. Reviews say for a waterproof camera – which would save me the drybagging – the Olympus range, now at TG-5 – is the best. It’s around $525, but I’m wondering how much of that price is for water/dustproofing the body at the expense of quality of photos. Ie for $525 is a non-waterproof compact point & shoot a much better image quality camera?
I have a small pelican box that holds & protects a small non-waterproof point & shoot, so if dollar for dollar non-waterproofs take much better photos than waterproofs, the box is less time-consuming than drybags so perhaps I should buy a recommended non-waterproof & just put up with a bit of inconvenience. So whatever I get has to fit in the small pelican box to clip on my chest straps.

I have an older waterproof Pentax point and shoot (W30) that I bought for sea kayaking and canoeing. Good but not great image quality due to limitations of the folded lens. The results were "decent enough" in good light which is typical of small censored cameras. Unfortunately it seems to have died on a recent trip to Kauai where I took it swimming- maybe the seals had deteriorated as it had survived many previous immersions both intentional, and not! :oops:
With RAW capability-the Oly TG5 is also on my list as a replacement, as I used the Pentax far more while paddling than my "advanced compact" that I also carry in a pelican case. For your use in canyoneering- I'm thinking that the low light performance could be a consideration?

I’ve posted this on canyoneering as well as photography as really it only affects wet canyoneers.
I’m fed up missing good shots because it means taking my good DSLR, or even my compact Panasonic point & shoot, out of & back in to drybags, but wouldn’t mind a good quality small under $850 camera still rather than using a phone in wet /sandy/muddy canyons.
Looking for recommendations. Reviews say for a waterproof camera – which would save me the drybagging – the Olympus range, now at TG-5 – is the best. It’s around $525, but I’m wondering how much of that price is for water/dustproofing the body at the expense of quality of photos. Ie for $525 is a non-waterproof compact point & shoot a much better image quality camera?
I have a small pelican box that holds & protects a small non-waterproof point & shoot, so if dollar for dollar non-waterproofs take much better photos than waterproofs, the box is less time-consuming than drybags so perhaps I should buy a recommended non-waterproof & just put up with a bit of inconvenience. So whatever I get has to fit in the small pelican box to clip on my chest straps.
I really like my Pentax K-1. Its very rugged and I can take a shower with it. Since the Mark 2 is out, if you look for a used one you might get a good deal on o

I have an older waterproof Pentax point and shoot (W30) that I bought for sea kayaking and canoeing. Good but not great image quality due to limitations of the folded lens. The results were "decent enough" in good light which is typical of small censored cameras. Unfortunately it seems to have died on a recent trip to Kauai where I took it swimming- maybe the seals had deteriorated as it had survived many previous immersions both intentional, and not! :oops:
With RAW capability-the Oly TG5 is also on my list as a replacement, as I used the Pentax far more while paddling than my "advanced compact" that I also carry in a pelican case. For your use in canyoneering- I'm thinking that the low light performance could be a consideration?
I love my Pentax Tough as hell and I can wash it off with a hose if I needed too. Plus it's fun to use the old vintage lenses.

I too am tired of abusing my DSLR so I am planning to buy a TG-5 at the next paycheck, it's $389 on Amazon right now. My brother-in-law has the Nikon 130 (no longer available, it's the W300 now). It takes pretty darn nice pix. I prefer the RAW option on the TG-5.

Here's a review of a few options.
https://www.bestproducts.com/tech/g...YzjwQUrFctSv54TwSn5lm936QYItqV4RoCYXYQAvD_BwE

I have the TG -4 and it served me well on wet canyon trips. The RAW option is so nice to have. One of the reasons I decided to get the camera.
I used it for most of my underwater photography with a housing as well as on trips with required swims

I had an RX-100 that lasted through MANY desert trips including wet ones like the Subway before finally seizing up this spring. Super great camera.

I replaced it with a Canon PowerShot G9 X Mark II and after only 2 desert trips (not particularly dusty or sandy or otherwise nasty) the zoom control toggle is already sticking. So as far as I can tell this was a really bad choice (and an expensive mistake at $400).

For wet hikes I use a point and shoot Fujifilm Finepix XP140. It is water proof to 50 feet, and shock resistant. Works good enough for me. Camera has been under water with no problems.