West Utah Desert Hiking Opportunities?

Perry

Formerly Cuberant
My wife and I are celebrating a wedding anniversary this weekend in Wendover and I was wondering if there are any good hiking opportunities in this area. I'm thinking if there are it might be nice for a fall or winter outing. Anyone have any experience out here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been out that way a few times, but I haven't done much hiking. Is your wife joining you on the hike?

All of these recommendations are based on research I've done in the past. Not personal experience. I think all of these have pages on Summitpost though.

Most of the mountains out there are pretty dry and rugged. Ibapah Peak comes to mind. Another interesting mountain is Pilot Peak out near Pilot Valley and Montello. It's a bit of a slog through talus when you get up high, according to people I've talked to. Goshute Peak just over the border to the south is also one I've been interested in. Also rugged without much of a trail.

Depending on how long you're willing to drive, you could also check out the Ruby Mountains near Elko. I'm unsure of approaches from the eastern side of the range, but if there are, they would be a shorter drive than going to Lamoille Canyon or elsewhere on the western side.

There's a lot of fun hiking in the Silver Island range, with good road access + old mining roads to follow. Close to Wendover too. Never a lot of people there. Deep Creeks and Rubies, as mentioned. Farther south Moriah is awesome, also the House range, the Wah Wahs. I've only spent a smallish amount of time in these ranges but there's a ton of stuff to see and very few people compared to the red rock desert. I keep wanting to visit the Confusion Range. I mean there are decades of exploration and generally some good roads in the valleys so you can just drive. One time a friend and I did a west desert road trip and went like 3 days and 200 miles of backroads without seeing anyone.

I've been out that way a few times, but I haven't done much hiking. Is your wife joining you on the hike?

All of these recommendations are based on research I've done in the past. Not personal experience. I think all of these have pages on Summitpost though.

Most of the mountains out there are pretty dry and rugged. Ibapah Peak comes to mind. Another interesting mountain is Pilot Peak out near Pilot Valley and Montello. It's a bit of a slog through talus when you get up high, according to people I've talked to. Goshute Peak just over the border to the south is also one I've been interested in. Also rugged without much of a trail.

Depending on how long you're willing to drive, you could also check out the Ruby Mountains near Elko. I'm unsure of approaches from the eastern side of the range, but if there are, they would be a shorter drive than going to Lamoille Canyon or elsewhere on the western side.

Holy cow, the canyons on the east side of the Deep Creek Range look amazing! Loop opportunities it seems, though might they be too brushy? Cottonwood, Red Cedar, Indian Farm....steep granite walls.
BLM Photos
Other ranges look like they potentially have winding limestone narrows...

East side of the Deep Creeks, hunted out there for many years.... Goshute Canyon has old road(trail) to the top. Was a large mining operation up there, quite a few old cabins, mine relics. Best view from a mine I have ever seen is up there at the Eagles Nest mine. Had a extensive tram system.
Granite Creek is nice, Toms is nice. Trout creek is nice, Birch creek. Most have water after you get away from the desert. Callao is a old pony express town. Gold Hill is a old semi ghost town. All day hike up ibapah peak via Granite Cyn.

Silver Islands N of wendover, Salt flats. New Foundlands farther east are interesting.