West Fork Black's Fork Trail Head Directions

DrNed

The mountains are calling and I must go
I've got a friend who is going to pick me up at the West Fork Trail Head, but I've never done it myself. Are there signs off of Highway 150 showing where to turn for the North Slope Rd?

The friend who is picking me up WON'T drive across the river. So, we'll have to all the way where the road meets the river. So when we reach the trail head do we follow the road to the west?

Any other info on how to ensure my friend and I get to the right place would be greatly appreciated.

It's signed for sure, but I'm not sure what the sign says. It's also known as the Mill Creek Road and I think some of the signage is for the East Fork BSA camp. Considering the remoteness of your pickup, I would not mess around. Load waypoints into his phone and make dang sure he knows how to find the exact spot you need him. That could go very badly with a potentially very long walk to get out...

Or even better, have him help you at the start of your trip by dropping off a car so that it is just waiting for you when you are done. No worrying about where he is or you getting done early or late.

Do you happen to have said waypoints? What is the WFBF trailhead like? I've been trying to study the Google Earth images and I can't seem to find anything that is definately a trailhead. From the Google images it appears as though the trail becomes a dirt road.

Is this the infamous river crossing? I've got the coordinates at 40 53' 01.76" N 110 40' 11.21" W

WFBF River Crossing.jpg

Turnoff to north slope road: 40.915029,-110.827526
Turn south from north slope road into WFBF: 40.929834, -110.614254
Road arrives at river ford: 40.884026, -110.670005

There isn't much of an actual trailhead. After the river crossing, the road goes another mile or so and ends at a gate at the intersection with the trail that goes over to EFBR trailhead over to MFBF. From there it's more road walking before hitting the wilderness boundary. I want to say a couple miles but I'm not sure off the top of my head.

River crossing was really easy. and the TH is easy to find. We followed the Nat Geo map and didn't have any problems.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
WasatchWill UHT - Day 5: West Fork Black Fork to Olga Lake Backpacking 2
Nick Unnamed lakes of West Fork Black's Fork Trip Planning 15
leatherman West Fork Black's Fork 8/15-8/18 Backpacking 3
Dave West Fork Black's Fork, July 13-14 2012 Backpacking 25
Nick Uintas: Highline TH to West Fork Black's Fork Backpacking 51
travel2walk Gros Ventre Wilderness: Granite Creek, West Fork Crystal Creek, Crystal Creek, & Swift Creek - June 2021 Backpacking 8
P West fork of Salt Creek? Trip Planning 4
George_Washington_Hayduke White Roost Canyons (east and west forks) & North Fork of Robbers Roost Canyon Canyoneering 3
Perry West Fork Blacks Fork River Crossing 2017 Trip Planning 9
WasatchWill UHT - Day 1: West Fork Whiterocks to Fox Lake Backpacking 8
Udink West Fork of Moonshine Wash Hiking & Camping 9
JoshuaDyal West Fork Blacks Fork, week of June 29th Backpacking 13
Ross Misery Canyon just east of Zion - west or east fork? Trip Planning 5
Bill Big West Fork of Red Breaks to The Cosmic Navel Hiking & Camping 48
alene Red Breaks Big West Fork Canyoneering 11
W Greetings from the West Side of the Winds (Wind River range) Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
kwc Fall paddle on the West Branch of the Sacandaga River 10/23/22 On The Water 0
Ellen Zion West Rim Trail, December 2022 Trip Planning 3
scatman West Millcreek Ridge - July 10, 2022 Hiking & Camping 22
Rockskipper Outlook poor for fires in the West General Discussion 8
Titans CEDAR MESA VISITS: OPEN AGAIN// (Extended bridge closure, west of Blanding, on SR-95) General Discussion 5
Bushwacker West Clear Creek Ruin Trip Planning 9
scatman Grandeur Peak, The West Slope Approach - October 31, 2020 Hiking & Camping 7
BJett Dolly Sods Wilderness - West Virginia Backpacking 17
McKee80 Roaring Plains West Wilderness Backpacking 8
Blair Ballard West Temple 3.7.20 Hiking & Camping 2
andyjaggy Bikepacking West Desert Trip Planning 16
westy Cave Canyon, Grand Canyon west Hiking & Camping 5
Yvonne Snow Hike up the West Rim, December 15, 2019 Hiking & Camping 7
SteveR Blueberry Hill and West Elk Pass, Alberta Winter Sports 1
LarryBoy A Route In Between: Mexico to Canada Through the Heart of the West Backpacking 50
chandlerwest Zion - West Rim Loop...........in July???? Hiking & Camping 7
regehr Deseret Peak West Twin Couloir Hiking & Camping 14
DuneElliot Backpacking Scotland's West Highland Way Trip Reports 5
mofca Hello from West Virginia! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
Chuck the Mauler Trip ideas near or west of Vegas Trip Planning 8
M Zion West Rim Trail, Early April 2019 Trip Planning 40
Titans Wasson Peak via Hugh Norris trail - Tucson Mountains - SAGUARO NP (WEST) Hiking & Camping 0
scatman Grandeur Peak - West Slope Route - September 3, 2018 Hiking & Camping 12
tomcat32 Backpacking the West Elk Wilderness Backpacking 9
Ross West Canyon hiking Backpacking 2
Ross West Canyon quicksand (a/one want to go lower West/Face/Labyrinth August? Trip Planning 3
blueeyes West Desert Bikepacking Everything Else 13
David Rule Greetings from the Mid-West Noobs: Introduce yourself! 22
Tim Valentine Catalina Island West Side Everything Else 1
Perry Uinta Highline trail - East to West - Mission Accomplished! Backpacking 24
Outdoors24 Zion West Rim Trail in winter Trip Planning 6
powderglut A Day at the West Clark Bench Hiking & Camping 11
JoshuaDyal Beckwith Pass in the West Elks Backpacking 0
Perry West Utah Desert Hiking Opportunities? Trip Planning 7