Waterfall Weekend

Miya

Because I am able.
It has already been 2 weeks since this trip! I have been busy.

Prologue: Had to change shifts last minute, so I got an indecent 5 hours of sleep (I understand some people only need 5 hours sleep, but I am not one of those people). I need like an average of 9 - 10. I even sleep 18 hours on occasion, like a cat. Any-whooo....it worked out because I normally get out of work at 2100 - 2300, but was able to leave at 1845. I drove to Sacramento to pick up Bobbi and by the time I got there, I was one crazy grouchy lady with a headache that needed sleep and FOOD.

Chapter 1: 2000 - 02.09.18 - Journey to Burney
Bobbi and I were on our way! I gave her fair warning that I was in a B**** mood. About an hour in, I stopped to get a Fruit Punch Rockstar and Taco Bell and life was good again.
Sometime after 2200, I started to get a little loopy and a little silly, but it made time pass pretty quickly.
I was really nervous about the fact that we would arrive at the campground so late! Would it be full? Would there be people that we would blind with my car and wake up because of all our noise?! We rolled into Dusty Campground at about 0030, and were in our tents shortly after. Luckily, there was not ONE person, so we didn't bother a soul.

Chapter 2: 02.10.18 - Burney Falls, Burney, CA and McCloud Falls, McCloud, CA (Lower and Middle)
I was so excited about this trip, because I was going to use my new tent, sleeping bag, sleeping liner, and socks and I was so sure that I would finally be warm! Alas...I continued to wake up throughout the night feeling terribly cold. I even brought a big ol' blanket since we were car camping and threw it over me and my bag. It ended up getting soaking wet, because I forgot to open the extra vents.
We didn't get out of our tents till 9. There was going to be very little hiking for this weekend, so we weren't in a rush.

Waterfall  Weekend 1.jpg

I didn't want to get out...

ABG_0953.JPG

Waterfall  Weekend-2.jpg

We are ready to go! We skipped breakfast, because...neither of us remembered to bring matches.

20180210_0944001.jpg

Waterfall  Weekend 11.jpg

Why must people put googly eyes on everything?! And why do they have them...keep them in their pockets for googly eye emergencies?

Waterfall  Weekend 5.jpg

I was excited!

ABG_0976 SM.jpg

Waterfall  Weekend-14.jpg

Waterfall  Weekend-15.jpg

Waterfall  Weekend-16.jpg

My Lego enjoying the view too.

Waterfall  Weekend 7.jpg

On our way to McCloud, there was a great view of Mt. Shasta.

20180210_1151501.jpg

Waterfall  Weekend-17.jpg

Waterfall  Weekend-18.jpg

Lower McCloud Falls

Waterfall  Weekend-21.jpg

Waterfall  Weekend 20.jpg

We ran into a small stretch of the trail with snow on it (about 15 feet haha, perfect for Legos!).

Waterfall  Weekend-20.jpg

20180210_1340301.jpg

Middle McCloud Falls

Waterfall  Weekend-19.jpg

We called it a day after this and went to check into our hotel. Yes, my friend requested that we do a hotel the second night. So I surprised her with getting to sleep in a Caboose!

Waterfall  Weekend-22.jpg

Waterfall  Weekend 22.jpg

Waterfall  Weekend-41.jpg

They also had a restaurant in one of the cars and I treated us to frog legs and filet mignon. The Bourbon Apple Cider was warm and TOO strong. Luckily, our caboose was walking distance and I didn't have a hangover the next morning. :)

Waterfall  Weekend-39.jpg

Waterfall  Weekend.jpg

Chapter 3: 02.11.2018 - Mossbrae Falls, Dunsmuir, CA

Mmm nutritious MountainHouse breakfast with a Diet Pepsi, Hah!

Waterfall  Weekend-38.jpg

I have been wanting to hit this fall since I found it on AllTrails over a year ago. It technically isn't a trail and is on 'Private Property' but so many people go. We passed over a dozen on our way there and back. Just follow the tracks, and you will find it. It did not disappoint, it was everything I had dreamed it would be!

ABG_1116 SM.jpg

If you look to the right, I am sitting on a rock. Hoping that the train doesn't derail and crush me.

ABG_1140 SM.jpg

ABG_1183 SM.jpg

Waterfall  Weekend-5.jpg

Waterfall  Weekend-7.jpg

Waterfall  Weekend-12.jpg

Waterfall  Weekend-64.jpg

Another googly eye?!

Waterfall  Weekend-46.jpg

Waterfall  Weekend-13.jpg

Waterfall  Weekend-45.jpg

TAH DAH!!!!! The only wildlife I saw on this trip! Hehe

Waterfall  Weekend-66.jpg

The End.

ABG_1332 SM.jpg

Last edited:
There is one possibility you didn't consider - that the googly eyes are placed there by a shadowy international cabal whose goal is total information and total control. Big Brother is watching you! Seriously though, great shots. The train nerd in me loves it.

Nice TR! So how do you like the new tent so far?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is one possibility you didn't consider - that the googly eyes are placed there by a shadowy international cabal whose goal is total information and total control. Big Brother is watching you! Seriously though, great shots. The train nerd in me loves it.

Oh my gosh....I didn't even think of that possibility! People have been putting them up at my work too...Uh-Oh gotta always be on the look out now. Hah
Yeah, I remember some people were into the trains on here, just couldn't remember who.

Nice TR! So how do you like the new tent so far?

I still have mixed feelings. I think I prefer my old cheap Alps Mountaineering. But I don't want the extra 2 lbs.

I love the dual vestibules though and how easy it is to pack up. I like all the little bells and whistles, like I can pull a string and attach a hook and it turns into a 3 bdr, 1 bath, etc. The groundsheet that Tarptent sells is AWFUL, haha loudest thing ever. I am going to use the groundsheet from my Alps tent, it is only 1oz heavier.

I still have mixed feelings. I think I prefer my old cheap Alps Mountaineering. But I don't want the extra 2 lbs.

I love the dual vestibules though and how easy it is to pack up. I like all the little bells and whistles, like I can pull a string and attach a hook and it turns into a 3 bdr, 1 bath, etc. The groundsheet that Tarptent sells is AWFUL, haha loudest thing ever. I am going to use the groundsheet from my Alps tent, it is only 1oz heavier.

I have a Tarptent StratoSpire II and don’t even use a ground sheet. I was worried about not using one in the beginning but I’ve just been a bit careful when choosing a site and haven’t had any problems.

I would like you to go these places when you can. Photos for memory lane.

...Not open to the public. Only guided tours.
http://www.ebparks.org/parks/vasco
..also this. The Miwok/Hardy Canyon loop is nice but short:
http://www.ebparks.org/parks/round_valley
...you can put together an epic by connecting Round Valley, Morgan Territory, and Mt. Diablo State Park.

...Morgan Territory from Finley Road is excellent and used less than other areas. Come in Camino Tassajara/580.

I would like you to go these places when you can. Photos for memory lane.

...Not open to the public. Only guided tours.
http://www.ebparks.org/parks/vasco
..also this. The Miwok/Hardy Canyon loop is nice but short:
http://www.ebparks.org/parks/round_valley
...you can put together an epic by connecting Round Valley, Morgan Territory, and Mt. Diablo State Park.

...Morgan Territory from Finley Road is excellent and used less than other areas. Come in Camino Tassajara/580.

Okie dokie!

Will make my way out there and make sure to take pictures!

Thanks for the recommendations!

I simply have one thing to say about the 3rd photo after you and your tripod...........Damn!!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I simply have one thing to say about the 3rd photo after you and your tripod...........Damn!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks, it is a gorgeous place and so happy we saved that fall for last.

Last edited:
I have a Tarptent StratoSpire II and don’t even use a ground sheet. I was worried about not using one in the beginning but I’ve just been a bit careful when choosing a site and haven’t had any problems.

+1. IMO, groundsheets are the biggest racket (literally and figuratively) I've ever seen. Only time you need one is if you have a floorless shelter. Otherwise it's just dead, useless weight. YMMV as always of course.

+1. IMO, groundsheets are the biggest racket (literally and figuratively) I've ever seen. Only time you need one is if you have a floorless shelter. Otherwise it's just dead, useless weight. YMMV as always of course.

Yeah, I don't always bring it. Depends where I am going. Most areas I have camped so far, the ground is just filled with rocks that poke out of the dirt just enough to make me nervous that I will tear the bottom of my tent.
I tend to be overly cautious though. :oops: