Water Resistant Down Sleeping Bags?

Lots of good comments and discussion here already. My down bag(s) do have the treatment that allows them to still loft a bit and retain some warmth when wet, but I don't ever want to be in a position to test that feature out and take care to treat the bags as if it was conventional down. Seems like a majority of new down bags being sold now come standard with the treatment anyway though. That said, it could be beneficial if you were using it night after night on say, a long thru-hike, especially if you were encountering very humid conditions for a long stretch, because that's what a down bag would most likely start to retain some moisture between your own body and the humid conditions, but even then, it's generally not enough moisture to be that big of a concern, or so I've read, as plenty of people over many years have carried conventional down bags with them with no major issues...It especially won't be a concern, if you're just doing the weekend warrior stuff though. As others have said, choosing a good campsite that allows for good drainage, plus having a good ground sheet and/or waterproof bathtub floor under you, and carrying your bag in a waterproof liner (like a trash compactor bag) inside your pack while on the trail will go a long way in keeping your bag nice and dry in most any condition.

Teton Sports has some nice 'beginner' down bags to consider if you are looking to enjoy the benefits of down (with water treatment) but also save some money for other gear. I actually own both the 20 degree bag and their 0 bag. Being made to appeal to those on a more limited budget, they are of the 650 fill variety, but they are EN rated at those temps which means they are indeed comfortable warm at those temps for the average sleeper (other bags out there are often branded and marketed with a survival rating rather than EN comfort rating). I can vouch for how warm they are as I usually sleep in a lightweight fleece base layer and had to unzip my 20 degree bag because it got too warm in freezing temperatures. If you are on the shorter side, you can always stuff the bottom with extra clothing, puffy jacket, etc. Otherwise, consider some of the other options mentioned. If you can find a specific women's version, they are usually made with more insulation (down) added to areas like the hips and other areas more prone to becoming cold spots for women.

The bag is really just to get before May for a 7 night trip. But if I get one soon enough and warm enough, I will do trips before then.

I have a Teton 0, but synthetic, and I froze my butt off and had to get into my friend's tent for body heat. We still felt frozen though haha. I am just trying to make sure something like that doesn't happen again.

I am thinking I will go with Feathered Friends. I like to only buy things once and cost usually isn't a big issue as long as I don't buy everything all at once.

Miya,
I bought a Mountain Hardwear Ratio 15 and my wife a Sierra Designs Eleanor 19. As you have read further up, there's a wide variety of brands and models to choose from. Have fun with the search!
Thank you!

The bag is really just to get before May for a 7 night trip. But if I get one soon enough and warm enough, I will do trips before then.

I have a Teton 0, but synthetic, and I froze my butt off and had to get into my friend's tent for body heat. We still felt frozen though haha. I am just trying to make sure something like that doesn't happen again.

I am thinking I will go with Feathered Friends. I like to only buy things once and cost usually isn't a big issue as long as I don't buy everything all at once.
Not sure what temps you were dealing with, but if you freeze in a zero in three season conditions, chances are it was your sleeping pad, not your bag. Doesn't matter how warm your bag is - if your pad isn't warm enough, you're gonna be cold. You're laying on top of the underside of your bag and therefore compressing it. No loft equals no insulation- so your pad needs to serve as your insulation vis a vis the ground

Great to hear!
I am now definitely set in purchasing a down bag. But the more I look, the more confused I get. I was originally wanting a particular Marmot bag, but it is only 650 fill. Then I saw Outdoor Vitals has bags with 800 fill for much less, but then I hear mixed reviews because the bags are made in China? I see a lot of people on this site go for Feathered Friends and Western Mountaineering, but I am not sure I want to spend so much because

Thanks!

One of my bags is actually from Outdoor Vitals (a zero degree bag). Its light, compresses down fairly small, and lofts well. I have been out down in zero temps with it too. Overall good bag and I only had an issue where the toe section got cold on my once, but not sure if it was that or that my insulated air pad (a Klymit) lost air/moved on me. I do plan on adding a sleeping bag liner for a little more R factor. I would not hesitate though to take it with me on most trips unless I was looking at negative temps and then would need to use another bag.

As far as getting cold, I do find that having good quality base layers, socks, and a beanie go a long way to adding warmth on those extra chilly nights.

Whatever down bag you get, I do recommend always taking it out of the compression sack and hanging it when you are home to keep the loft...

Not sure what temps you were dealing with, but if you freeze in a zero in three season conditions, chances are it was your sleeping pad, not your bag. Doesn't matter how warm your bag is - if your pad isn't warm enough, you're gonna be cold. You're laying on top of the underside of your bag and therefore compressing it. No loft equals no insulation- so your pad needs to serve as your insulation vis a vis the ground

There were a lot of factors at play. We actual went to bed still wet from hiking through calf deep marsh.
I was using a Klymit inflatable, and have since then purchased a Therm a rest Z lite for better insulation.

One of my bags is actually from Outdoor Vitals (a zero degree bag). Its light, compresses down fairly small, and lofts well. I have been out down in zero temps with it too. Overall good bag and I only had an issue where the toe section got cold on my once, but not sure if it was that or that my insulated air pad (a Klymit) lost air/moved on me. I do plan on adding a sleeping bag liner for a little more R factor. I would not hesitate though to take it with me on most trips unless I was looking at negative temps and then would need to use another bag.

As far as getting cold, I do find that having good quality base layers, socks, and a beanie go a long way to adding warmth on those extra chilly nights.

Whatever down bag you get, I do recommend always taking it out of the compression sack and hanging it when you are home to keep the loft...

Oh, good to know! I had been looking at their bags.
Since my freezing experience, I have invested in actual base layers and I notice the difference.
I started looking at the liners too, I think it is worth the weight even if I end up not needing it. At least until I figure out how cold I sleep and how to stay warm at night.

Oh, good to know! I had been looking at their bags.
Since my freezing experience, I have invested in actual base layers and I notice the difference.
I started looking at the liners too, I think it is worth the weight even if I end up not needing it. At least until I figure out how cold I sleep and how to stay warm at night.
One other thing I thought of that I do, depending on temps and where I go... I have one of those cheap, light foam yoga mats and I will take it along and put it under my insulated air pad. Like you said... its all about what you are fine carrying and what you actually need.

The modern version of my bag:

https://www.rei.com/product/896029/kelty-cosmic-down-20-sleeping-bag-mens

It is labelled mens but I believe Kelty is non sex biased
Ooow thanks! I think I will probably go a little colder, just out of fear of a recent bad experience in October....or kinda hilarious now. But I think I sleep 20-30 degrees off.
Sounds like you have probably decided against this one, but for anyone else who stumbles across this thread, I use this bag as well. I originally bought it when I was just starting out because it was literally the cheapest down bag I could find. It's certainly not the lightest, smallest, or warmest bag out there, but for the price, I have been extremely impressed with it overall. I got it from REI on sale for just over $100. For that price, I figured I couldn't lose. For anyone looking for a low-cost down bag, I think this is a great option. FYI - I do sleep relatively warm, cold sleepers will probably find this bag lacking in weather under about 30 degrees.

I am coming in to this late so forgive me if I missed something...that said:

My DriDown bag takes about as long to dry as a synthetic bag. However, bug spray and sun screen from your skin will reduce the effectiveness so wash up before going to bed. Also, your air mattress could have caused condensation to build up because it did not breath well. Your therma rest should do a little better. Also, don’t breath inside your bag. Your breath will condense in the bag and build up moisture. You may want to open a small air hole in your tent as well. Finally always put on dry long johns if you have been out in the weather. I have hiked for several days in the rain and never had a problem with my down bag and love it.

That is a good call...

image.jpg
I like the $1.99 laundry bags at Wal-Mart for storage if the original gets lost or rips out.

View attachment 61307
I like the $1.99 laundry bags at Wal-Mart for storage if the original gets lost or rips out.

Ooow I like this! I haven't lost one yet or ripped it, but I am sure it is only a matter of time. I am such a neat freak that I would probably have anxiety until I found some sort of replacement. Hah!

All your tips were helpful and appreciated! I am putting money aside to get my new bag and after reading other people's advice on sleeping pads and watching an inflated pad comparison on YouTube, I decided to upgrade. I just have an uncomfortable night sleep on the foam pads.

If you have any questions regarding feathered friends products, feel free to message me! I have quite a few of their bags and love em. Also have a few of the newer marmot bags too

If you have any questions regarding feathered friends products, feel free to message me! I have quite a few of their bags and love em. Also have a few of the newer marmot bags too

Will do. So far from my few overnight experiences, I sleep about 30-35 degrees under. So I will definitely be purchasing a -0 bag, probably -15 to -20.

I want to re-visit the sleeping pads you were discussing earlier.

Keep in mind that when sleeping bags are tested for their "EN" temperature rating, they:

1) Test assuming the user is wearing a base layer while sleeping: socks, long underwear, LS top.
2) The test assumes the user is also using a sleeping pad with an insulating "R" value between 4 and 5.

I can't find an online reference for #2. Some sites say there is no specified R value requirement of the sleeping pad used in the testing process to derive the EN rating. I think there was a video presentation given by Sierra Designs, where Andrew Skurka and Michael Glavin were talking about EN ratings and may have mentioned the typical R rating used during testing.

So keep that in mind. A Thermarest Z-Lite CCF pad has an R rating of 2.6, whereas a Thermarest Women's NeoAir XLITE has an R rating of 3.9. You didn't specify which Klymit pad you were using, but one popular model is the "Static V", which has an R rating of 1.3.

Everything else being equal (same sleeping bag, tent, weather conditions, etc), sleeping on a R 3.9 pad should feel significantly warmer than sleeping on a R 1.3 pad. I've heard of really cold sleepers switching to an even higher R value pad, like the Thermarest NeoAir XTherm, which has an R-value of 5.7!

Seems unlikely the EN rating assumes the user is going to be on top of a 4-season rated pad.

I want to re-visit the sleeping pads you were discussing earlier.

Keep in mind that when sleeping bags are tested for their "EN" temperature rating, they:

1) Test assuming the user is wearing a base layer while sleeping: socks, long underwear, LS top.
2) The test assumes the user is also using a sleeping pad with an insulating "R" value between 4 and 5.

I can't find an online reference for #2. Some sites say there is no specified R value requirement of the sleeping pad used in the testing process to derive the EN rating. I think there was a video presentation given by Sierra Designs, where Andrew Skurka and Michael Glavin were talking about EN ratings and may have mentioned the typical R rating used during testing.

So keep that in mind. A Thermarest Z-Lite CCF pad has an R rating of 2.6, whereas a Thermarest Women's NeoAir XLITE has an R rating of 3.9. You didn't specify which Klymit pad you were using, but one popular model is the "Static V", which has an R rating of 1.3.

Everything else being equal (same sleeping bag, tent, weather conditions, etc), sleeping on a R 3.9 pad should feel significantly warmer than sleeping on a R 1.3 pad. I've heard of really cold sleepers switching to an even higher R value pad, like the Thermarest NeoAir XTherm, which has an R-value of 5.7!

Yeah my Klymit had a ridiculously low R rating. I think it is the Static V. The XTherm has been on my wishliat for awhile now and I bought it over the weekend.
Going camping Saturday night, so going to test it out. :)