Water On The Trail

I've given up on bladders with hoses for a few reasons:

1. I hate how warm/hot the water trapped in the hose gets when the hose is exposed on sunny hikes. Those first few sips are always blah! I suppose I could invest in an insulated hose, but nah.
  2. The extra effort it takes to rinse them out and and properly dry them after each outing so as to keep them from getting all grimy and nasty. And when you forget or just doin't get to it...:eek:. Then you have to scrub them out good with those special tube and bladder brushes and cleanse them with the fizzy tabs.
  3. They've always put a bit of a plastic/vinyl taste in the water.
  4. They intrude on the interior space of my pack. Some packs accommodate them better than others though.
  5. Weight was the least of the factors, but it was a factor, though I'm back to carrying a hose on some trips for a different use, explained below...
I now begin most trips with two 1 liter Smart Water bottles that I reuse over and over since they are BPA free and pretty easy to rinse out and allowed to dry by sitting on a counter at home away from sunlight with the cap off. I love how slender they are and put one into each side pocket of my pack. I can still fit tent poles, stakes, fishing rod, etc in the pockets along side them. Depending on distance to hike, availability of water sources, etc, I've got a way of strapping on two additional 20 oz Smart water bottles to my shoulder straps as @Mike K mentioned. 20 oz Gatorade bottles work really well for this too because they have a little groove around the bottom. I'll have to post some pics of this setup a little later. If I'm down in the desert or otherwise hiking a route with long stretches of unreliable water sources, then I'll swap out my 1 liter bottles with 1.5 liter water bottles that I sought out after discovering them through @steve.

For filtration, I start with a Sawyer Mini. You just can't beat how lightweight and compact it is. I do sometimes carry a few Aqua-Mira tablets in case I come across extra dirty water or where viruses could be suspect, though I've yet to use them. With the Sawyer, I can fit it right onto the Smart bottles, but I prefer to keep my bottles for clean water only and it gets a bit tricky with squeezing and crinkling the bottles to get the water through the filter that way. So, if I'm solo, I'll carry a 1.5 liter Evernew bag for a dirty bag to attach the filter to and squeeze water from.

I've recently begun to use the Mini in a DIY gravity system. I added a bit of cord through some holes I punched into the bottom of the Evernew so I can invert it and hang it from a tree or whatever. I then attach my Platypus hoser hose to the outflow of the filter after removing the bit valve. I can then take the other end of the hose with the threaded cap and attach it to any of my Smart bottles, though I have to leave it a bit loose to allow the pressure to escape. What even works better now is if I take along the original 16 oz bag that came with the Mini and put that on the threaded end of the hose. That thing will fill up in just a minute or two and I can then drink straight from that or pour it on into my bottles. For my most recent trip, yesterday in fact, I actually took a 2 liter Platy, added cordage to it just like my Evernew, and used that as a dirty bag with my original 2 liter Hoser bladder attached on the bottom for my clean bag. Worked flawlessly and had all 2 liters of dirty water filtered through into clean water in the time it took me to take down and pack away our tent and clean up camp a bit...only a few minutes. I then transferred that water into our water bottles for the day. This is a fantastic setup for 2+ people and can be interchanged with 3 liter bags and so on. It does the same job as a Gravityworks or similar commercial gravity system, in probably the same amount of time for half the cost. Yes, adding in the tube and extra bladder/bags to make a gravity driven system adds a few ounces, but the convenience it gives in camp is worth the trade-off and it can all be collapsed, rolled up around the filter, and secured with a bit of elastic so it takes very little extra space in the pack. Sometimes, I'll just toss the roll into a side pocket next to my bottle for easier access. If needed, and that's a big emphasis on needed, I can also fill up a bag or both to take on the go to have extra water if I'm going to have a dry camp in the desert or something.

To make filling up the dirty bags easier, especially from sources like lakes and low flowing streams, I take a simple little Ziploc and cut a tiny corner off and collect/scoop up water with that and then let it stream out of the corner hole into the dirty bag. If the water is from a lake or a silty source, I'll pre-filter by running the stream of water through a bandana as it enters the dirty bag.

Given the other advice given from others above, it is clear that there are tons of options and versatile systems out there each with their own set of pros and cons, much like so many other different systems used in backpacking. I can see why others like to have the hose to make drinking water easier on the go and allows them to keep moving without removing their pack. As already noted, I have reclaimed that same benefit by finding a way to strap and snuggly secure bottles to my shoulder straps. However, when I'm not taking the extra bottles on my straps, I just make sure to take a little rest every hour or so, remove my pack, pull out a bottle and chug back a little water, or alot. :)

Edit: One other tip: Using the pre-filter method with the bandana and then back flushing the filter with a squeeze or two of clean water from a bottle topped with a cap found on the 20 oz Smart Water bottles after each use of the filter helps to keep the flow rate respectable and adequate with each use.

Last edited:
I recently picked up a Sawyer Mini for free, but was disappointed with its flow rate; it takes 5-10 minutes to filter a liter of water, especially when you're putting grime in it from desert water sources. You really have to backflush it every single day.

Interesting. I can usually filter a liter in a minute or two. In coyote gulch, or when filtering the green river (tons of silt), it took more time since I was backflushing more. It may not be for everyone, but I love my sawyer mini. Once you use it a few times you pick up a few tricks to make it work eaiser.

I always carry an extra bag and my syringe to backflush my sawyer on every trip. Some times I can go 20+ liters without backflushing, other times (like the green and coyote gulch) I have to backflush every liter. I like it 100x better than my old pur pump filter.

Nobody knows if sawyers can handle being frozen, or if that renders them ineffective. So I will throw them in a ziplock in my sleeping bag when it gets below freezing. You won't have to do that with a steripen.

Steripens are cool, but you'll want to make sure to prefilter first if the water is chunky. No doubt steripens are about the easiest way to filter (unless you're patient, then aquamira is great). i'm always jealous of steripen users while I'm squeezing water through my filter.

I think I prefer the mechanical nature of the sawyer. I don't have to worry about batteries staying topped off to save my life, or if I drop it, I don't have to worry about it breaking. Granted, the chances of actually breaking a steripen are super low, but i like simple gadgets. That being said, I still see a steripen in my future someday, especially for trips out of the US, since they kill viruses too.

I've given up on bladders with hoses for a few reasons:

1. I hate how warm/hot the water trapped in the hose gets when the hose is exposed on sunny hikes. Those first few sips are always blah! I suppose I could invest in an insulated hose, but nah.
try blowing air into the tube to force the water back into the bladder. This way it won't be sitting in the tube getting hot. Just don't end up blowing more air into your bladder than necessary, or it'll take up even more room in your pack and make everything even tighter in there.

I'm still a huge fan of bladders for mountain biking, but for hiking, I am a smart water bottle guy 100%. I do tend to hydrate more when I have a bladder though.

I was just looking back at some photos from last year. Here's a close-up of what @Mike K had mentioned.

upload_2015-7-2_9-14-58.png

I was testing out both a Smart water bottle and a Gatorade bottle at the time to see if either held more stable than the other. Both work well. The Gatorade bottle has that groove at the bottom, but the Smart bottle holds well enough too. I will have to take and post some more detailed pics, or maybe just do a quick little video demonstrating what I use, how to make them, and how to secure your bottles to your shoulder straps...for those who prefer the simplicity of a water bottle over a hydration bladder, but want the convenience of being able to take a drink without having to take your pack off or awkwardly reach around to access your water.

try blowing air into the tube to force the water back into the bladder. This way it won't be sitting in the tube getting hot. Just don't end up blowing more air into your bladder than necessary, or it'll take up even more room in your pack and make everything even tighter in there.

I'm still a huge fan of bladders for mountain biking, but for hiking, I am a smart water bottle guy 100%. I do tend to hydrate more when I have a bladder though.

So I tried my bladder (Platypus Hoser) yet again on a hike yesterday afternoon. Still gave the water a plastic/vinyl taste. I tried the blowback tip, and it is tricky. It required some effort, and I think at one point I did blow back too much air. I can only imagine how much harder it would be to blow back when carrying a full pack of items tight against it. Even then, I think a bit of residue remained through out the hose making the first sip warmer than I'd like. I think these reasons keep me from drinking any more than when I use a bottle. I also find myself drinking more at a time when I do take a drink, when using a bottle. If I ever get into mountain biking or other activity like that, then I could where the bladder becomes more desirable, but I'll want to find one that doesn't put out a funky taste and get a hose with an insulative sleeve put on it.

Never had a plastic taste out of Platy's, I've used them forever.....they are made from food grade plastics, no taste ....
I never liked all that stuff hanging off my pack or me.....

I have been using the 1 L play's with a hose, I tuck the Platy in the top of my pack, wrapped in a shirt for insulation, even on a really hot day I get cool water. Sometimes the first sip is hot but it' s cool fast. If I remember to force the water back into the platy after a drink it's all cool.....
You also drink more when you can sip at will.....

Never had a plastic taste out of Platy's, I've used them forever.....they are made from food grade plastics, no taste ....
I never liked all that stuff hanging off my pack or me.....

I have been using the 1 L play's with a hose, I tuck the Platy in the top of my pack, wrapped in a shirt for insulation, even on a really hot day I get cool water. Sometimes the first sip is hot but it' s cool fast. If I remember to force the water back into the platy after a drink it's all cool.....
You also drink more when you can sip at will.....

If I had space in top of my pack, I could try a Platy. I'm sure my Hoser hose would make an exact fit, but I'm afraid it might be the hose itself giving off the taste I don't like. I've also got this hose bookmarked on Amazon as well as this one. The latter looks interesting because it would allow you to use keep your bottles in the side pockets rather than having water take up space inside the actual pack.

Reactions: Bob
Look like those would work...I use the Platy hose as well ..... maybe better plastic? That's why I use the 1 L ones, If water is scarce I carry 4L in my pack....nothing to put one on top in the pack with hose. Kinda depends what size your pack and what you put in it...... I get by with a lot less than most.

I've used the "First Need XLE Elite" for years. It is not the lightest, but it is bullet proof. I have stuck this thing into some nasty water along the wonderland trail with 100000s of mosquitoes and it tastes better than the "bottled" water you get in the stores.

It is more expensive than all the others, but my buddy who does river guiding said this is all he uses.

BTW, going lightweight isn't my specialty :)
Here is a link to this .. http://www.rei.com/product/851771/first-need-xle-elite-water-purifier

I have tried filters, tablets, and steripen. I use a pre-filter and steripen with 2 Nalgene canteens (2.2 oz each). They save me a few oz over a bladder and 1/2 lb over regular Nalgene bottles. Bladders drip all the time and the hose started to bug the crap out of me when I used my steripen.

The filters clog, the iodine takes a while and tastes funny, but my steripen just seems to work the best. I even have two inline filters but never use them.

Steripens are cool, but you'll want to make sure to prefilter first if the water is chunky. No doubt steripens are about the easiest way to filter (unless you're patient, then aquamira is great). i'm always jealous of steripen users while I'm squeezing water through my filter.
I think the best choice is related to where you're going. If you're someplace like the Uintas, where the water is pretty clear, then SteriPENs are great. That's what I use.

However, in the Glen Canyon area or Coyote Gulch, your water would still be pretty nasty. Even if it's sterilized. That's where I'd prefer a filter.