Water Beta 2022 - Highline Trail

JBG

Hey crew -

We are planning on hiking the Highline trail (East to West, Hwy 190 to Hayden Pass) and were wondering, given the drought, if anyone had info on the water situation. Specifically, is there still water at the lower end of Manila Park (there was last year) and is there still water in the stream that crosses the trail about a mile before Leidy Peak?

Many thanks,

JBG

If you're able to, just start at Leidy Peak/Hacking Lake and you'll thank me later.

Parma,

I hear where you are coming from - The first 25 miles before Leidy Peak are less than super attractive. We did them last year and moved on past Leidy, then one of our party fell and tore his knee, and we had to bail at Chepeta Lake.

This year though we want to bag the whole thing. Have you been through Manila Park this year? There is a spring at the lower end that I assume (hope) is still running, even in this drought year.

What do ya' know?

I haven't been thru that section...I have never really considered it part of the Highline Trail.

There's always some water near Leidy. Strong flow across the trail right now from a snowfield, but even later in the season there's generally some. If not, a short way down the trail toward Lakeshore basin you'll find a nice stream. I wouldn't stress about it.

There's always some water near Leidy. Strong flow across the trail right now from a snowfield, but even later in the season there's generally some. If not, a short way down the trail toward Lakeshore basin you'll find a nice stream. I wouldn't stress about it.
Thanks - We will be on trail August 1.

Back