Wasatch mountains bear advice.

EEZ123

I am a lifelong backpacker but in the last 15 or so years I haven't done as much due to family, job, etc. I am getting back into it with my kids. In the past (80s and 90s) I never worried about bear encounters in the Wasatch or Uintas. However it seems like bears are more prevalent now, just a couple of years ago a young boy was taken from his tent and killed at Timpanooke campground up AF canyon, and I believe there have been some bear sightings up BCC at the campgrounds right off the highway. I am planning a trip next week in BCC with my 2 kids, and I, bought some counter assault bear spray as a precaution. I know how to keep a clean camp, no food in tents, cook a fair distance away from camp etc. Would a bear resistant container be advisable for food? Also any other precautions I should take? Has anyone here seen bears in BCC/LCC in the last few years?

I still don't worry about them in the high elevation backcountry of the Uintas. I met a backcountry ranger a few years back that told me with no uncertainty that the black bears in the Uintas have nothing to forage off of above about 9500'. The only other thing that might bring them higher is stinky campsites and trash that you might find along the Mirror Lake Highway. With that said, I take 'Level 1' precautions if I'll be hiking through the lower elevation Uintas and at some high elevation areas. Level 1 being hang my food and not pour tuna juice down my shirt.

I don't think the Wasatch calls for much more than that. Maybe hang and pack some spray, but I wouldn't be too worried. That case in AF canyon was quite unique and it was in a campground that the bear had learned was a possible food source. I believe that is still the only bear fatality in Utah history, at least recent history. Anyone able to confirm or correct that?

I am sure there have been other fatalities not on record, but that is the only one recorded in the last 100 years, which is pretty impressive, and definitely comforting for those of us that go solo.

My parents saw a black bear crossing the Mirror Lake highway a few weeks ago, just north of Mirror Lake. So they are there, it sounds like you know the basics, that's probably good enough.

My parents saw a black bear crossing the Mirror Lake highway a few weeks ago, just north of Mirror Lake. So they are there, it sounds like you know the basics, that's probably good enough.

I'm curious... How far north of Mirror Lake? Like right by the lake or as you begin the descent down the north slope?

I am a lifelong backpacker but in the last 15 or so years I haven't done as much due to family, job, etc. I am getting back into it with my kids. In the past (80s and 90s) I never worried about bear encounters in the Wasatch or Uintas. However it seems like bears are more prevalent now, just a couple of years ago a young boy was taken from his tent and killed at Timpanooke campground up AF canyon, and I believe there have been some bear sightings up BCC at the campgrounds right off the highway. I am planning a trip next week in BCC with my 2 kids, and I, bought some counter assault bear spray as a precaution. I know how to keep a clean camp, no food in tents, cook a fair distance away from camp etc. Would a bear resistant container be advisable for food? Also any other precautions I should take? Has anyone here seen bears in BCC/LCC in the last few years?

First, welcome back to the backcountry! We've missed you (not that I know you, it's just nice to see people getting out). Second, the attack up AF canyon for me is a sore spot. the family was awarded a hefty sum of money even though they, themselves, did not attempt any prevention measures. Rather they blamed others. We can get into a moral/ethical debate about that another time. Third, as the adage goes, 'they are more scared of you than you are of them,' is absolutely true. I usually take a bear resistant container. Yes it's bulky and weighs a little more, but it also doubles as a stool. The other reason is that many locations, especially in the Uintas, I rarely find a tree suitable for a bear hang. The canister takes care of that issue.

I probably just got used to carrying it in the sierras. Anyways, have fun and we all can't wait to hear how it went.

Salud

That case in AF canyon was quite unique and it was in a campground that the bear had learned was a possible food source. I believe that is still the only bear fatality in Utah history, at least recent history. Anyone able to confirm or correct that?

Yes that case in AF was unique and many factors greater than a bear used to campgrounds were at play (i.e. Food in the tent, parents not being aware, dirty camp). There have been other attacks and fatalities but it is so rare. Sometimes things happen no matter the precautions. For example, back in the 70's there was the night of the grizzlies in glacier NP where two people were attacked and killed at almost the same time in completely different areas of the park. So while I believe the AF incident tragic there were definitely other basic precautions that could have been taken.

Salud!

I think that as with any animal in nature, we need to be aware of and gain education regarding their behavior. Last year we had a pack of wolves hanging around us during the day and night. We kept a clean camp, and understood their behavior. They were just curious. After two days and nights, the pack left. It was "interesting" the first night when they began to howl and whine on the outskirts of our camp site. They never bothered us, and we never bothered them. Bears typically have a set pattern of behavior. A great resource about bears is from Tom S Smith from BYU. He is considered a bear expert and has some great articles about their behavior and how we can better prepare ourselves.
http://news.byu.edu/archive12-mar-bearsandguns.aspx

Thanks for the replies. I figured I was probably good with hanging the food ,but I might still get a bear container. Although I think it would be awesome to see a bear at a distance and have it go the other way I definitely don't want one in camp ;). All the years backpacking hiking and mountain biking and I have never seen a bear or cougar or mountain lion. I have seen a badger and that was interesting, he was not a happy camper, and now I know why people say the badger don't give a s**t, lol. Thanks for the link Dmw, I will read that before going. That's cool about the wolves as well.

Yea, the whole AF bear attack made me angry as well. I work in American fork, and know some people that know the family. There was some information about the family and some of the things they did and didn't do that wasn't revealed in the media that was told to me, however I always take second hand information with a grain of salt. Suffice it to say they could have taken steps to minimize the risk to themselves.

I have 2 rules in the backcountry when it comes to bears...
1. Wash my hair with a nice honey/fruity shampoo the morning before.
2. If cubs are present take them hostage.
;)

In all seriousness it is alway good to take precautions, and sounds like you know all of them. We always cook and clean a good distance away from where we sleep and keep a spotless camp. I have yet to see a bear in the Unitas or Wasatch so sometimes feels like pointless efforts, but that doesn't stop me from being safe. After all a lot of times it's the people after you that you are protecting.

I'm curious... How far north of Mirror Lake? Like right by the lake or as you begin the descent down the north slope?

They said it was close to the ranger station on the north slope, so a bit of a ways from Mirror Lake.

Ahh yes. So down around 8600'. I've seen a good amount of bear sign around that elevation, particularly in the less-traveled drainages like North Fork Provo River.

We backpacked into Erickson Basin a couple of weeks ago and found this bear track on the trail. For some reason it is hard to see clearly on the computer, but it is clear as day on my phone. This is the first real sign of bear that I have seen in Utah, but I mostly backpack up past 10,000 feet. I thought it was pretty sweet though. We were at about 6,800 feet.photo (4).JPG

Nope. Not in Utah. Utah was founded in 1896! ;) But seriously, nice find! :)
Article probably meant Utah Territory in 1850.