Wasatch front hiking: The Living Room May 2008

Tyler

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is a fun little hike just above Red Butte Gardens. Alene and I did this on Sunday afternoon. We were really itching to get out and do something and it seemed perfect.

We started off up a little canyon just south of Red butte Garden. As you make your way up the low scrub forested path, the canyon loops around to the North. Eventually the trail comes to a "T" junction we ended up taking the wrong trail (we went right), which took us to the top of a ridge above our destination (the living room). It was still nice though because we were able to see what was on the other side of the mountain (Red Butte reservoir) and a nice view of the valley.

Once we realized we went the wrong way, we hiked back down and took the correct route over to the Living Room.

The Living Room is basically a bunch of rock slabs that someone brought together and made a bunch of seats out of. As you sit there, you have an amazing scenic view of the valley. It would be a great place to watch the sun set.

Here are some pictures from our hike:

Alene and her beautiful pregnant belly, hiking up the canyon

Salt lake valley from the ridge above the Living Room

Same place, but looking south

View from the Living Room

Relaxing in my cave man lazy boy

The Living Room is a nice little hike and a quick/easy way to get out and see something unique.

It seems like "everyone" knows about the living room. Most people don't know about a spot a little higher up that's way more amazing. I won't give more details away, but if you've been there, you know where I'm talking about.

At the last draw on the trail, turn east instead of west, follow the it for a short while until you see less prominent trail going west & up across the face. You'll end up higher up on the mountain at a spot that makes the living room look amateur.

It seems like "everyone" knows about the living room. Most people don't know about a spot a little higher up that's way more amazing. I won't give more details away, but if you've been there, you know where I'm talking about.

At the last draw on the trail, turn east instead of west, follow the it for a short while until you see less prominent trail going west & up across the face. You'll end up higher up on the mountain at a spot that makes the living room look amateur.

Is it another "living room" type of place up higher? Or is it just the awesome view up above? If so, we actually did go east up the trail to the top, then turned around and made our way back down to the living room.

Don't know if you're into geocaching or not. Some are lame, but others are definitely located at a sweet location. This would be in the second group
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=782058ab-5f2d-4cfb-89a9-4168db5ea148

The link will tell you all you need to know and does have some pictures posted.

That's crazy. It looks like it's literally at the top of the peak (which is where we went), but just below the edge (we didn't quite walk that far out on the peak). I wonder if it was even there back when we did the hike (almost 4 years ago)? I'd love to get back up there and find that.

Yeah it was there 4 years ago. I was up there back in '05 or '06. It's an awesome hidden gem.

Gotta find it. Kind of pissed that I missed it. I faintly remember wanting to venture closer to the edge of the top because it seemed like something was over there (when we were at the top, we thought we were going toward the living room, then had to back track back down to actually find it). I was very close.