Visiting GSENM - need advice on itinerary

andrewpdx

Hello, I'm coming from Oregon the first week in October, planning to visit the GSENM area for dayhikes and one overnight backpacking trip. I've put together a tentative itinerary, but I'm hoping to get feedback from folks on this site, specifically about trail conditions and likelihood of needing to route-find. I'm not new to hiking or backpacking, but have minimal experience with desert and canyon trips, so want to keep the majority of my hiking time on easy-to-find trails.

Here's what I'm thinking:
Day 1: Day hike Peek-A-Boo, Spooky, & Brimstone
Day 2: Day hike Zebra & Tunnel slots
Day 3-4: Overnight in Coyote Gulch (either starting at the Jacob Hamblin Arch, heading east along the canyon, and exiting near The Crack OR going in via Fortymile Ridge TH entering near the Crack, heading west along the canyon, then out at JHA)
Day 5: Day hike Antelope Canyon
Day 6: Day hike The Wave (if I can get a permit)

The one that worries me is the overnight in Coyote Gulch. What are the trails like to and from the canyon? Easy to follow? Or a fair amount of navigation skill needed? Any alternate overnight suggestions in the area that require little navigation?

Thanks in advance!

The one that worries me is the overnight in Coyote Gulch. What are the trails like to and from the canyon? Easy to follow? Or a fair amount of navigation skill needed? Any alternate overnight suggestions in the area that require little navigation?

Not easy to follow unless you're just walking down through Hurricane Wash. Despite the massive traffic, it does take some care to find Crack and I would assume the Hamblin exit. If that is of any concern, I would seriously rethink the Hamblin route altogether. Spicy stuff.

Personally, I would drop Antelope and The Wave from your itinerary. Those places are hours away and there is plenty that is just as satisfying (IMO) where you'll already be. Spend more time in Coyote (two nights would be perfect) and explore more of what you have around the Escalante area.

I'm sure some others will have more responses, but I'll just throw out about Spooky & Peekaboo that my preferred route is up (north) Peekaboo (requires a climb up a sandstone face, there are footholds, but if the pool below is full, which is possible, then this can be pretty challenging with wet soles, not to mention the pool immediately at the top can be very hard to exit if it's rather full), overland from the north end of Peekaboo to the north end of Spooky, go south down Spooky, then I'd jog over east to Brimstone. Brimstone can be hard to find, it's easy to turn down the wrong canyon/keep going too far east. Unless there are tracks, might be, but far fewer people attempt Brimstone.

The overland route "behind" Peekaboo and Spooky can be a bit of a challenge, too, although there are well-trodden trail(s) now. Basically, at the north end of Peekaboo there's a big juniper (pinyon? juniper iirc), and the people-created path east jaunts off from there. Just before you hit Spooky, there's a big sand hill to go down into a large wash, you should see a worn path in it. Turn right (south) and you'll get into Spooky. Then back up (west) to the th juncture via the main wash.

I'd say these and the others are not necessarily "easy to find" hiking trails--I'd suggest you bring a topo and know how to use it. I once told a sweet lady hanging out alone down in the wash that no, that canyon she was pointing at wasn't Peekaboo--it was Dry Fork of Coyote Gulch, which isn't even a slot, and also meant she'd be heading in the exact opposite direction of the slots. If you're an experienced hiker I'll say you'd likely be fine if you have good map skills and good sense, but the desert certainly is a different beastie. Oh, and I haven't done the Wave, but I do know there's a definite history of people getting lost trying to find it.

Anyway, those are all such gorgeous places, have a wonderful time out there.

I'd consider looking into the V-Rock hills via the Sheffeild Road, or via Hurricane Wash Road if you are looking into wave-like stripped sandstone goodness. Here is a TR I did wandering around the area.

Thanks for the replies so far, really helpful stuff. I've been digging through past TRs here, and think that I've nixed the JHA as an entry or exit option -- too risky for me to consider on a solo trip.

I do have a few more questions:
--Does it seem doable to make it to Fortymile Ridge TH in a midsize SUV (rental)? What about to the Chimney Rock TH?
--How's the trail from Hurricane Wash TH to Hurricane Wash and then to Coyote Gulch? Easy to follow? That seems to be the longest route, but if it's the hardest to stray from, it may be the best option

@Nick --> yeah, Antelope and the Wave are a ways away, but I'd like to head down near Page at the end of my trip, so I don't mind the trek
@JulieKT --> thanks for the info on Peekaboo, etc; will definitely have topo and compass
@slc_dan --> nice TR!

I'm also open to other suggestions for a nice, non-technical, overnighter. Nothing too intense, 4-7 miles each day (I want to take my time enjoying the scenery), don't mind an out-and-back or loop.

And if anyone's heading to the Pacific NW anytime soon, feel free to drop me a line, I may be able to return the favor with info about my backyard!

Thanks for the replies so far, really helpful stuff. I've been digging through past TRs here, and think that I've nixed the JHA as an entry or exit option -- too risky for me to consider on a solo trip.

Good call.

--Does it seem doable to make it to Fortymile Ridge TH in a midsize SUV (rental)? What about to the Chimney Rock TH?

Totally. Just remember that when you encounter deep, soft sand, the gas pedal is your friend. Hammer that thing! The Fortymile Ridge road is good up until a bit past the water tank, then it gets sandy. I've driven out to Chimney Rock but don't remember anything about the road. I'm pretty sure a midsize SUV could handle it no problem.

--How's the trail from Hurricane Wash TH to Hurricane Wash and then to Coyote Gulch? Easy to follow? That seems to be the longest route, but if it's the hardest to stray from, it may be the best option

That is by far the most straight-forward access point. Car-friendly and no navigation issues, just walk down the wash and remember where to turn on your way back. But going through crack isn't much harder if you have a little experience and are okay with a map/gps. Some people get lost on the way out to Crack. It is a random crack in a big cliff afterall. But there are cairns near the top and signs of use going down. Most of the year, you'll probably see people along the way. Definitely use your own judgment but I think most reasonably experienced folks with a smartphone with GPS and a bit of Googling can handle it no problem.

I'm also open to other suggestions for a nice, non-technical, overnighter. Nothing too intense, 4-7 miles each day (I want to take my time enjoying the scenery), don't mind an out-and-back or loop.

There are so many down that way and even more out and around Hwy 12 and Escalante and Boulder. Willow, Davis, Fortymile, Fiftymile, Llewellyn and so on. And those are just the the canyons way down past Coyote. Further up HiTR you have other great options. Hiking down from the Egypt Bench to Neon and the Golden Cathedral and all the other fun stuff in that area would be a great overnighter. Or head over to the Circle Cliffs and check out Little Death Hollow & Wolverine. You just can't go wrong. Except for The Gulch that is. :cautious:

zebra canyon and the area upstream from the main slot is cool. Could spend a day around there..

If you haven't been to calf creek falls, I love it! very easy to follow trail, couple miles each way, right off highway 12 on the way to the hole in the rock road

i've only done Coyote Gulch, and we only went down Hurricane Wash, and it was fantastic. it's also quite easy to follow.

You just can't go wrong. Except for The Gulch that is. :cautious:

what do you mean Nick

I'm also visiting the GSENM area in October, but a few weeks after @andrewpdx!

Most of my hikes are planned off the Hole in the Rock Road. What non-technical dayhikes in the area do you recommend if it's raining and the road and/or slot canyons are inaccessible? That happened to me on my first attempt to visit the area last year, so I've already done some of the bigger name "Plan B" travels that kept me on paved roads- hiked the Lower Calf Creek Falls, visited the Hundred Handprints panel, drove the Burr Trail Road, and visited Bryce NP and Kodachrome Basin SP.

Last edited:
@andrewpdx and @piper01 - I personally can't help with the info you are looking for but I will say this site and it's members are a wealth of information. I came to this site for info on a trip I was planning and the members on this site played a huge part in it's success. I'll be interested in following your stories as I have friends in Oregon I'd like to visit eventually and it would be great to squeeze some hiking in. I'd also like to hike Mount Hebo in OR for personal reasons. Best of luck with your planning.

what do you mean Nick

Kind of a tongue in cheek statement. And I'm not speaking about Coyote Gulch, but rather an east-side canyon known simply as The Gulch. One of my most challenging/awful backpacking experiences happened there many years ago. I think I documented the experience on here once but I don't recall. My camera died in the mayhem so I never did have any photos. Dehydration, swarms of mosquitoes, floods, etc. Epic in a bad way, for sure. I'd like to give The Gulch another chance someday, but it's still pretty low on the list.

Reactions: Ben
Kind of a tongue in cheek statement. And I'm not speaking about Coyote Gulch, but rather an east-side canyon known simply as The Gulch. One of my most challenging/awful backpacking experiences happened there many years ago. I think I documented the experience on here once but I don't recall. My camera died in the mayhem so I never did have any photos. Dehydration, swarms of mosquitoes, floods, etc. Epic in a bad way, for sure. I'd like to give The Gulch another chance someday, but it's still pretty low on the list.

Funny, I broke my Go Pro earlier this year in the Gulch. Had to buy another one.

The Gulch is also a freaking mess from the cows, which is what I though Nick meant when he posted that. But from the narrows down, its an awesome place.

Yeh, give The Gulch another change.
The Upper is very scenic. Lots of green, old cottonwoods and nice formations.
The Lower - sorry - is a very 'shitty place'. Cows in May! 'Poor-Mans-Spring' in Sleepy Hollow - wasted. Beautiful is the stretch from The Gulch via Sleepy Hollow to Boulder creek.

@piper01 You could put Capitol Reef on your list to visit if you're rained out of GSENM. It's about an hour & 15 minutes'-ish drive on paved Hwy 12 from Escalante to the park entrance past Torrey. Not exactly in the same area, but close enough for a (longer) day trip. And sometimes it might storm in GSENM yet be completely dry in Torrey/Capitol Reef, and vice versa. Several hikes in CapReef are accessible immediately from paved road, such as Chimney Rock, Spring Canyon, Grand Wash, Cohab Canyon, Hickman Bridge, Navajo Knobs, Fremont River Gorge Overlook. Or, if you're into mountain hikes and fall color (if there's any left by the time you're here), there are some easily accessible ones on Boulder, such as Chriss Lake/Deer Creek Lake right off Hwy 12 a ways north of Boulder town.

There's also Phipps Arch, though in lots of rain may not be the best idea. But it's not a slot canyon, just have to go through canyons to reach it.