Virgin River Rim Trail 6/6-6/7

priz1234

A 30 Mile trip across Cedar mountain from Strawberry Point down to Woods Ranch. I expected to see a decent amount of mountain bikers along the trail but besides the few miles right around Cascade Falls we only saw a handful of other people and two horses. Although that also could have been the rain that was in the forecast. Luckily, the rain never came but instead we got some pretty serious wind. Which is always nice when you are up on a rim with a lot of views. Other than the wind, it was a great trip. My parents ended up coming along for the first 10 miles of the first day to Cascade falls and then picked us up at Woods Ranch which was nice since we didn't really have to deal with a car shuttle.

First few miles up and down some small hills through the forest.

00958.jpg

After a few miles we were rewarded with some hazy views overlooking Zion

00965.jpg

00964.jpg

The next section of the hike was one of the best parts of the trip, there were views showing us where we would be heading but also had some great rock formations similar to what you would see in Bryce canyon but on a smaller scale.

00967.jpg

00978.jpg

00996.jpg

After about 10 Miles we hit the Cascade Falls parking lot which was packed. Probably the most people I've ever seen there. This was also where we left my parents but another benefit of having them there was we could refill our water from their car. We wouldn't be hitting any water before camp and saved us the mile trip down to the waterfall.

Looking back towards where we started

01023.jpg

Some more great formations along this section

01021.jpg

Our firs views of Navajo lake through the trees

01031.jpg

Another reason we may not have seen any mountain bikers

01049.jpg

Another great view of the lake

01044.jpg

We camped a little past his view up on top of the mesa near Navajo Peak. The next morning we started descending towards the Te-Ah Campground and got some even better views of the lake.

01062.jpg

01068v2.jpg

We were expecting to fill up water again at the campground but didn't find any and the campground was closed. Luckily it was not a very warm day and we had enough water for the remaining 12 miles. We did end up finding some small streams along the way though where we filled up some of our water. This section from the Te-ah Campground to Websters flat was mainly through the trees but we did have a few nice views

01081.jpg

01083.jpg

There were also some spots I decided I needed to come back to this fall

01110.jpg

After we made it to the Websters Flat road it was basically just more aspens all of the way until we hit the road we needed to hike down to get to Woods Ranch. I think you could actually drive all of the way up this last section of road and save yourself about 3 miles.

01127.jpg

01134.jpg

Very nice. I had not considered going across as a backpack.
Cascade falls was a good hike for what I remember, and we used to drive through that area in the fall and lunch up at Navajo lake.
It was beautiful.

Was this last weekend?

Very nice. I had not considered going across as a backpack.
Cascade falls was a good hike for what I remember, and we used to drive through that area in the fall and lunch up at Navajo lake.
It was beautiful.

Was this last weekend?

Yes this was last weekend. It was pretty nice as a backpacking trip and is very cool area. You could do all of it in different sections as day hikes since you cross so many roads and ATV trails but it was fun linking it all together in one trip. Only issue is that there isn't much water on the actual trail and you may need to do some short out and backs to either Cascade falls or Navajo lake to get water.

Wow! Those formations are so epic looking! Thanks for sharing!!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Tres Westbrook The Virgin River Narrows in Zion National Park From The Top Down Hiking & Camping 20
Dave Virgin River management plan General Discussion 0
Seldom Seen Anderson Virgin River Narrows Hiking & Camping 4
Seldom Seen Anderson THE BARRACKS (East Fork of the Virgin River) Trip Planning 22
J Death Valley Natl Pk Ibex Peak, Jubliee Mtn, Virgin Springs summits Dec. 2, 2019 Hiking & Camping 0
regehr Water higher up in Virgin Springs Canyon? Trip Planning 17
J Virgin Springs Canyon Cane Wash Loop Trip Planning 3
fossana Sheep Bridge/Lower JEM trail (Virgin, UT) Conservation Project General Discussion 5
Wapiti Virgin Springs Canyon Backpacking 1
BJett Virgin Falls Pocket Wilderness/State Natural Area - Tennessee Backpacking 3
BJett San Juan River - Sand Island to Clay Hills On The Water 0
D Wind River-like Zone in Canada Backpacking 5
M Lost a drone in the San Rafael River area/below the wedge. No time to hike in to retrieve. General Discussion 0
fossana Colorado River talks in Springdale, UT (March 27th, April 5th) General Discussion 6
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Gallatin River -- September 7-9th 2023 Backpacking 12
BJett Rockcastle River No Shuttle Packrafting - Kentucky On The Water 2
Janice Such a GRAND Canyon - Deer Creek / Tapeats / Thunder River Backpacking 21
Kullaberg63 Suggestions for Escalante east of river, south of Choprock Trip Planning 4
scatman The Gallatin River, Bighorn and Fawn Passes, Yellowstone National Park - September 7, 2023 Backpacking 14
shredhiker Thorofare, Heart Lake, Snake River Sept. 2023 Backpacking 16
Ugly Headless Valley- Film about traveling the Nahanni River General Discussion 5
meowtaingal Wind river high route mid september Trip Planning 7
BJett Packrafting the Obed National Wild & Scenic River - Tennessee On The Water 1
kwc Savage River, Denali NP Hiking & Camping 1
D Wind River offtrail route questions Trip Planning 28
Rockskipper You think you found a pithouse, or maybe an Ancestral Puebloan tower near Green River, UT? It's maybe something even more interesting... General Discussion 3
SteveR Sheep River Road Ride on May Day Everything Else 2
F Upper Escalante River Backpack conditions Trip Planning 6
W Greetings from the West Side of the Winds (Wind River range) Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
marquiri Wind River Range - Angel Pass Trip Planning 24
Writhdar Day hikes in the White Clouds and Lost River Range Hiking & Camping 1
BJett Packrafting the Cumberland River Below the Falls - Kentucky On The Water 6
Mikjik86 Backpacking The Wind River Range - Wyoming, September 2022 Trip Reports 3
kwc Cedar River Flow, Central Adirondacks On The Water 1
kwc Fall paddle on the West Branch of the Sacandaga River 10/23/22 On The Water 0
Jackson Heart Lake and Snake River for Labor Day Backpacking 23
Stephanie B Dirty Devil River Impassible at Poison Springs Canyon Off Road 0
R Wind River Range: Green River Lakes/Clarks Trail/Porcupine Creek Trail Trip Planning 3
BJett Amazing Appalachians - Backpacking/Packrafting the AT and Nantahala River Backpacking 5
Georgia Yankee Snake River; Wolverine, Coulter, Pilgrim Creeks, July-Aug. 2022 Backpacking 18
Mikjik86 Another Wind River Trip Planning! Elkhart/Titcomb/Knapsack/Shannons Pass loop back to Elkhart, or continue to Green River Lakes Trailhead? Trip Planning 10
wsp_scott Wind River Range Sept 2021 (part 2) Backpacking 4
wsp_scott Wind River Range Sept 2021 (part 1) Backpacking 16
WasatchWill WRHR - Day 7: Beaver Park to Green River Lakes Backpacking 15
BJett Big South Fork National River & Recreation Area Packraft/Backpack Loop (TN) Backpacking 6
BJett Red River Gorge/Red Byrd Arch Packraft Trip - Kentucky Hiking & Camping 9
scatman Gila River - Gila Wilderness, New Mexico - April 18, 2022 Backpacking 61
B Wind river range mid sept. Trip Planning 8
andyjaggy Wind River Range Roberts Mountain Trip Planning 4
Rockskipper Application Period Open For 2023 Private River Trips Through Grand Canyon National Park General Discussion 0