VIDEO: Long Trail Part 1

My hiking goal in 2015 is to traverse the 273 mile Long Trail which travels the entire length of Vermont, from Massachusetts to Canada. In part 1 of my documentary I use the Pine Cobble Trail Head in Williamstown, MA as my entry point to my first step on the LT. Staying at Seth Warner shelter, night 1 proved to be a challenge with the over night lows into the mid 20's. The next day, Saturday, the plan was to hike just over 13 miles passing by the Congdon Shelter, eventually staying at Melville Nauheim Shelter, but I decided to push on and attempt to make it to Goddard Shelter(at just under 22 miles). The afternoon turned to early evening and...

The night before this adventure my wife asked me for 3 things I was apprehensive about. After much thought I shared the following with her, 1) my body holding up - I'm not getting any younger. 2) Severe weather - specifically thunderstorms. and 3) Loneliness. Follow along to see how these potential obstacles were handled.

I have a full video showing what is in my pack on this 8 day journey which can be seen here -

I am a backpacking enthusiast who enjoys spending my days on the trails with friends, both old and new and my nights sleeping in my hammock under a tarp. I currently live in Syracuse, NY with my wife (Angela) and 2 girls.

Thanks for watching,

Rob

I've thought about doing at least parts of the Long Trail on and off for years. Looking forward to watching this later.

Really enjoyed watching this Rob. I've never actually hiked VT. I always end up heading to NH or upstate NY but I've been meaning to do either Mansfield, Camels Hump, or just a few days on the Long Trail. Looks like some nice country up there. Looking forward to seeing your vids of the rest of the trail. We're exact opposites when it comes to packing and equipment choices so I always find ot interesting to hear about your gear.

Really enjoyed watching this Rob. I've never actually hiked VT. I always end up heading to NH or upstate NY but I've been meaning to do either Mansfield, Camels Hump, or just a few days on the Long Trail. Looks like some nice country up there. Looking forward to seeing your vids of the rest of the trail. We're exact opposites when it comes to packing and equipment choices so I always find ot interesting to hear about your gear.

This is my first trip in the green mountains as well, very nice place! Thanks for watching. :)

Back