Vernal Area Rock Art

Udink

Still right here.
The Uinta Basin has been off my radar as far as rock art is concerned, despite being as long a drive north as I would normally drive south to places like Moab. My only experiences with the towns in the region were in passing as I drove to the Uinta Mountains. That changed on Sunday after Alan invited me to accompany him to McConkie Ranch near Vernal. The ranch is well-known for its "Classic Vernal Style" rock art left by the Fremont, and I think it's really cool of the owners to keep the place open to the public. We spent four hours there and I took almost 250 photos. There are many large and skillfully-made figures with headdresses, necklaces, and other decorations depicted.

McConkie Ranch "Visitor Center"
IMG_0567.JPG

Antlers (and his & her restrooms)
IMG_0572.JPG

Interesting petroglyph/pictograph combo
IMG_0606.JPG

McConkie Ranch
IMG_0623.JPG

Lizards sunning themselves
IMG_0637.JPG

Large Vernal-style figure in half sun, half shadow
IMG_0645.JPG

Large figures with hoops
IMG_0648.JPG

Victim of rockfall
IMG_0650.JPG

Fallen petroglyph
IMG_0669.JPG

Headhunter on the right
IMG_0676.JPG

Thin, bright red figure
IMG_0690.JPG

Bigfoot
IMG_0693.JPG

Trail End
IMG_0723.JPG

Spotting rock art outside of McConkie Ranch
IMG_0737.JPG

Spiral, lines, and circle
IMG_0743.JPG

Chalked petroglyph and pictograph mix
IMG_0753.JPG

More mixed petroglyphs and pictographs
IMG_0759.JPG

Martini man
IMG_0768.JPG

Approaching the trail's end
IMG_0795.JPG

Three Kings panel (I'm not sure which three are kings?)
IMG_0806.JPG

Ladder along the trail
IMG_0807.JPG

I'd done a little research and compiled a list of other sites we could visit if we had time after McConkie Ranch. The first such site we hit is called the Peltier Site. It's just off a paved road and has been badly vandalized. Although the petroglyphs here weren't as incredible as those at McConkie, there were nice enough in their own right.

Badly vandalized Peltier Site
IMG_0810.JPG

Rake and elk/deer
IMG_0821.JPG

Next we stopped at an unusual site near Steinaker Reservoir. It was a shallow alcove with a steeply slanted floor, and no running water in the immediate vicinity. It wouldn't have been used as a habitation site, but judging by the pictographs there somebody had spent a great deal of time in the alcove. Alan and I hiked around some nearby sandstone hills and canyons looking for more but didn't find much else.

Steep approach to Steinaker Site #2
IMG_0833.JPG

Red headhunters
IMG_0841.JPG

Lizard and other pictographs
IMG_0849.JPG

View from Steinaker Site #2
IMG_0854.JPG

Steep floor of Steinaker Site #2
IMG_0856.JPG

We aimed for one final site along Ashley Creek. I'd planned to access it from the top but didn't know for certain whether there was a route from the top of the cliffs down to the rock art. From the end of a dirt road, we walked to the top of the cliffs and found several weaknesses that seemed as though they would allow us to descend. One spot required us to drop five or six vertical feet. After I dropped down but before Alan descended, I turned around and upclimbed the obstacle to make sure we could get back out before we both committed to it. We reached the rock art and weren't disappointed. The spicy descent was worth it. There were some large, well-made figures, but also some smaller and unique figures. To get up close to some of the rock art we had to climb and then walk along a narrow ledge. During the ascent back to Alan's truck we got a good workout. By then it was late enough that we needed to hit the road and head home. I'd had a great first taste of what the Vernal area had to offer. As is often the case, my post-trip research led not only to new places I can visit on my next trip there, but also things I was close to but missed on this trip.

Cliffs above Ashley Creek
IMG_0865.JPG

Sketchy downclimb to the Ashley Creek Site
IMG_0869.JPG

Large petroglyph panel at the Ashley Creek Site
IMG_0876.JPG

Left side
IMG_0877.JPG

Right side
IMG_0878.JPG

Concentric circle, sheep, and upside-down anthropomorph
IMG_0891.JPG