Upper Hazard & Hard Trail Creek lakes. Grassy Mountains, Idaho.

BrettCottrell

Brett Cottrell
August, 2012

The Grassy Mountains are on the western side of the Salmon River Mountains, northwest of McCall, Idaho, and south of the Salmon River. The trailheads are about a 30 minute drive from McCall on a good dirt road, and most lakes are less than five miles in, and they’re almost all pretty easy hikes.

Last August, I made a day hike to Upper Hazard Lake and Hard Trail Creek Lake. You start out at a trailhead .25 mile below the Hazard Lake campground, and follow a large meadow for the first mile and a half and then climb a small (200 ft.) ridge before arriving at Upper Hazard Lake (2 miles). It's a pretty lake at the base of granite Bruin Mountain.

Follow the trail from there southwest about .75 of a mile and you’ll be at Hard Trail Creek Lake. There are a few campsites, but they’re rough.

This day was really smoky. There were some serious fires to the west or Cheech and Chong were filming a movie. Who can say? As the pictures show, this area was heavily burned about 15 years ago.It’s making a nice comeback, the flowers were incredible.

The fishing’s a gamble at these two lakes. I always try, and sometimes get some nice brookies, but more often than not just a few nibbles. So, when the fishing’s slow, I do what any reasonable person would do. Jump in the lake.

[picasa=5s]https://picasaweb.google.com/bsubrett/Haz#slideshow/5848724936816374802[/picasa]

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Okay, I take back what I said about Idaho. Well... most of it. That looks really nice! And I agree with Udink on the captions AND Tico. If that was Cheech & Chong, they filmed a really long movie last summer!
Idaho's got tons of great places! Obviously the Sawtooths, but many Idahoans will tell you that the White Clouds are the best in the state. Plus the Pioneer Mountains are pretty incredible, and of course, one of my favorites, the Bighorn Crags. And how can you not like the Seven Devils Mountains that overlook Hell's Canyon? You've got to like them, if for no reason than the names!

Okay, I take back what I said about Idaho. Well... most of it. That looks really nice! And I agree with Udink on the captions AND Tico. If that was Cheech & Chong, they filmed a really long movie last summer!

What did you say about Idaho? I really like that state. It has great rock and tons of water(not to mention snow!!), which is often lacking in western states. I was on a journey to find a retirement cabin and this state was high on the list. unfortunately my wife did not feel the same. She wasn't keen on West Virginia either(great rock and lots of water with tons of snow).

Sorry brett, loved the pictures. I was there a few years ago when MaCall was burning up. Lots of fires that year. You can see the scars remain in your pictures.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
TrailScot Day hike in the Upper East Side of Zion - October 2023 Hiking & Camping 5
TrailScot Upper Paria Loop Hike - September 2023 Backpacking 4
Janice Lizard Head Plateau - overlook Upper Cathedral Lake? Trip Planning 15
F Upper Escalante River Backpack conditions Trip Planning 6
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. Upper Monarch Canyon plus. Dec 1, 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
W Cow season in upper Paria canyons Trip Planning 0
TractorDoc Off Trail to Yellowstone's Aster Lake and Upper Witch Creek -- September 13, 2021 Hiking & Camping 13
TheMountainRabbit Upper Toklat River (Denali NP) - August 2018 Backpacking 7
Janice Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in Michigan's Upper Peninsula Backpacking 6
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking the Lost River Range in Idaho : Bear Creek Lake & Upper Basin Backpacking 7
Jammer Sequoia: Upper Kern and Lake South America Backpacking 12
Janice Porcupine Mountains in Michigan's Upper Peninsula - August 2-7 Backpacking 15
CloakedInSmoke Boot upper repair Gear 7
S Backcountry camping tips for Wind Rivers - upper Green River valley via canoe Trip Planning 5
piper01 The Upper Gulch and Egg Canyon, GSENM Backpacking 6
Titans The impressive Upper Muley Twist Canyon Hiking & Camping 8
P Yellowstone, Lonestar Geyser into the upper Bechler Backpacking 2
P Yellowstone - Lonestar into the Upper Bechler and back Backpacking 14
Kullaberg63 Upper Death Hollow - blitz descent Backpacking 8
DrNed Upper Henry's Fork Lakes Trip Planning 1
Devin Ashby Upper Escalante Canyon / Death Hollow Info? Trip Planning 15
Wanderlust073 Upper Willow Lake overnight - Eagles Nest Wilderness Backpacking 4
Parma Capitol Reef, Upper Muley Twist Day Hike Backpacking 19
Parma Is the road to Upper Muley Twist doable in an Outback? General Discussion 19
DrNed North Platte & Upper Green River Trip Planning 0
Writhdar Waterpocket Canyon (Capitol Reef) non-technical access to upper part? General Discussion 1
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains-Leggat Creek, Upper Mill Creek Hiking & Camping 1
kimbur96 First Solo overnight, Navigation Trail, Upper Priest River, Northern Idaho Backpacking 10
Joey Upper Death Hollow and the Old Bowington Road, From Hell's Backbone down to the Escalante River Backpacking 24
scatman Invite Mirror Plateau - Upper Lamar River - Hoodoo Basin - Yellowstone National Park Meet Up (Members Only) 27
Tater Head Upper Neon Canyon (conditions) Trip Planning 2
Kullaberg63 Upper Bowdie loop Hiking & Camping 21
Dave Upper Muley Twist, May 23-25 2015 Backpacking 14
BJett Upper Red River - Red River Gorge Geologic Area On The Water 13
IntrepidXJ Upper Pollock Canyon Hiking & Camping 3
BJett Day 1 - Upper Calf Creek Hiking & Camping 1
ogdendude Upper Salt Creek Canyon, again Backpacking 5
A Upper Settings Trail - Uintas Trip Planning 8
IntrepidXJ Upper Calf Creek Falls Hiking & Camping 0
Udink Upper Black Box Canyoneering 10
Scott Chandler Easter Weekend Day 3: The Upper San Rafael Hiking & Camping 2
John Fowler Upper Muley Twist, again Hiking & Camping 18
Christian Little Egypt, Burr Trail, Upper Muley Twist, Escalante Slots Hiking & Camping 23
B Timpanooke to Upper Scout Falls Hiking & Camping 0
Udink Upper Old Woman Wash Hiking & Camping 2
Nick Lower Muley Twist vs. Upper Muley Twist Trip Planning 19
pstm13 Upper Salt Creek Backpacking 16
pstm13 Upper Salt Creek Canyonlands Trip Planning 3
Jammer Upper Muley Twist from Notom Rd? Trip Planning 11
Dave Upper Muley Twist Canyon, Capitol Reef Trip Planning 0