Upper Antelope Canyon

IntrepidXJ

ADVENTR
Veterans Day | Monday, November 12, 2012

The Original Trip Report on ADVENTR.CO

After spending a great weekend exploring The Paria Plateau it was time to start our drive back home. Before we left I thought it might be a good idea to finally check out Upper Antelope Canyon. I've seen plenty of photos from this well-known location but have always avoided it because of the large crowds of people that visit. I was hoping that since this was the "off season" it wouldn't be too busy. Was I wrong! There were quite a few different groups of people in there. I was expecting there to be other people in the slot canyon, so I had prepared myself for it and wasn't too bothered by it. I just planned to take most of my photos looking up out of the slot where other people wouldn't get in the shot. However, what really frustrated the hell out of me was that many of these people were taking pictures with their point and shoot cameras that used a red focus-assist light that ruined most of my shots. Upper Antelope Canyon may be one of the most beautiful slot canyons in the world, but I highly doubt that I will ever be returning. It's just not worth it to me.

Here's a few of the photos I was able to get while I was in the slot canyon.

Enter by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Light Stripe by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Upper Antelope by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Chamber by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Swoosh by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Antelope Passage by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Up by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

As I was leaving the canyon, this section of sandstone caught my eye. I liked the way the light and shadows interacted here.

Sandstone & Shadows by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

After finishing up my crowded tour of Upper Antelope Canyon we started the drive back home. We made a stop along the way so I could re-photograph some petroglyphs.

I think I missed this faint panel on previous visits.

More Glen Canyon Style by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Panoramic of the Celebration Panel.

Celebration Panel by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

A closeup of the very interesting anthropomorph.

Interesting Man by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Side Panel by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

I drive past Church Rock many times each year, but I can't recall ever stopping for a photo? I decided to stop this this time as the sunset was approaching.

Church Rock by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Nice warm light on these sandstone formations in front of the La Sal Mountains.

Sandstone & Mountains by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Sunset was very close as we neared Wilson Arch, so I stopped and climbed up to the arch for a few photos.

My shadow near the top.

Sandstone Shadows by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Wilson Arch catching the last rays of the day.

Wilson Arch Sunburst by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

>> Upper Antelope Canyon Photo Gallery

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

I never made it to Upper Antelope Canyon. I guess the totally overcrowded parking lot scared me to death all the time I passed.
So I usually ended up in Lower Antelope Canyon with less people and more time.
Anyway, great shots again, I love the Celebration panel a lot.

It's funny you mention the parking lot...when I was there I didn't think that it would be too crowded because there were only a couple of cars in the lot. When we arrived at the entrance to the slot there were about 10 different tour vehicles already parked there...

Randy.... As usual, unreal photos. I love the colors you got in antelope canyon, those purple hues are awesome.

Your description of Upper Antelope makes me laugh. That and the instagram pic you posted afterward, I believe you titled it 'Hell'? Hehehe. At least you got a few out of it and that last shot of Wilson Arch is fantastic!

Your description of Upper Antelope makes me laugh. That and the instagram pic you posted afterward, I believe you titled it 'Hell'? Hehehe. At least you got a few out of it and that last shot of Wilson Arch is fantastic!

When I left the slot I really didn't think I had one decent photo from in there.....it wasn't until I got home and looked through them that I realized I had a couple decent ones...

When I left the slot I really didn't think I had one decent photo from in there.....it wasn't until I got home and looked through them that I realized I had a couple decent ones...
I'd say much more than a couple.

I love that shot of Church Rock! It was on my mind when I visited this last weekend.

Great report Randy! Another great sunburst shot as well. I'm really liking those.