Up to The Sky Pond

Shirt357

I am horrible about posting reports... maybe I am just not a great writer. Anyway, recently I moved from NM to CO and was able to get out for my first hike here. I headed to RMNP and decided on one of the more well known trails for my first trip, though I did get on the trail very early to try to miss the foot traffic. I left out on the Glacier Gorge Trailhead and headed towards Loch Vale, The Lake of Glass and ultimately Sky Pond. A very doable 10 miles or so and it was a perfect weather day with no clouds and only windy up at Sky Pond where it was a nippy 15 degrees :)

Hope you enjoy the pictures!

6LUvcHN.jpg

57H8nD7.jpg

4jVqor5.jpg

Anyone who has done this trail knows that in the winter the trail to get up to Sky Pond can be a bit tough due to alot of ice flow. This picture shows (though not well) the trail down from Sky Pond. You can see the angle of the trail, but what you do not see is all the ice. Thankful for spikes and poles!

CrNax0T.jpg

View from the top

ErdQHq1.jpg

6I3ttsf.jpg

ibsgH59.jpg

QflUpgC.jpg

On the way back down, I saw some guys ice climbing (it is gonna be one of my next things to try)

e7ZAI8e.jpg

And if you cannot see him in the last picture...try this one...

MVLypq8.jpg

That ice you mention must have been the small cascade that the trail (barely) skirted when we were there one summer. As I recall we actually got a little bit wet due to the strong winds blowing the water around.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
TheMountainRabbit Sky Pond (Rocky Mountain NP) - January 2023 Hiking & Camping 8
kwc Smoke on the water … fire in the sky … General Discussion 6
Rockskipper Interesting article about dark sky parks General Discussion 12
Yvonne Sky Rim Trail, Yellowstone, August 6, 2020 Hiking & Camping 15
IntrepidXJ Over the Edge: Island in the Sky Hiking & Camping 6
SKLund Island in the Sky: Cheatin and I Know It Trip Planning 21
b.stark A Trip to Watch the Sky (Eclipse ramblings) Everything Else 4
Dave Somewhere between Sky and Syncline Hiking & Camping 12
H ON THE ROAD WILD WEST :: Yellowstone, Grand Teton, & Glacier National Park Big Sky Road Trip Photography 8
Dirkules Good multi-day hike "Island in the Sky" - your recommendations?! Trip Planning 2
DrNed Canyonlands - Island In The Sky Hiking & Camping 12
Bob Dark Sky Finder Resource Discussions 5
Joey Invite Yellowstone's Thorofare and Gallatin/Sky Rim area Meet Up (Members Only) 4
Sarah Canyonlands: Hiking the Needles and Island in the Sky Hiking & Camping 6
IntrepidXJ Island in the Sky Tour Everything Else 3
Cody Syncline-Taylor Loop, Island in the Sky Backpacking 10
TheDunedain My Home From the Sky: A week in the La Sal Mountains Backpacking 10
IntrepidXJ Gray Canyon and the Island in the Sky Everything Else 4
Nick Fire in the sky General Discussion 0
Nick Island in the Sky, January 2012 Hiking & Camping 15
kwc Another Southern Adirondacks hike - Clockmill Pond and Rock Lake Hiking & Camping 0
kwc John Pond, central Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 3
kwc Stony Pond hike, Central Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 1
kwc Wolf Pond, Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 2
Titans Pharaoh Lake Wilderness - Brilliant Fall Foliage, Pond and Lake Reflections- Adirondacks, North Eastern US Hiking & Camping 20