Up on the Kaiparowits Plateau

Fatboy

Driving down Hole-in-the-Rock road the Straight Cliffs dominate the view to the west all the way to Glen Canyon. Most folks are more interested in the slick rock and the canyons to the east of Hole-in-the-Rock road, while some are interested in just driving to end of the road to see the Hole-in-the-Rock.

I confess, I was too. My eye was drawn to the views of the Straight Cliffs stretching off to the horizon and my mind wondered what was up there, but it was for the canyons that I had traveled from a far to see and explore.

Having driven Croton, Smokey Mountain, Smokey Hollow roads I thought I had an idea what the Kaiparowits Plateau was like. Still I was curious enough to start researching routes up the southern end of the Straight Cliffs and on to the southern end of the plateau which has been referred to as Wild Horse Mesa or Fiftymile Mountain, or just lumped into the rest and called the Kaiparowits Plateau.

The southern portion is a large plateau running almost 15 miles from North to South and never wider than 5 miles from East to West. People are scarce up there, you might see the rare Hayduker passing through if your near the northern end or the equally rare hiker heading out to Navajo Point to see the the views across Glen Canyon and Lake Powell to Paiute Peak. (Sure, most people call it Navajo Mountain but the Southern Paiute claim to have lived there first and where there even while the US Government turned the area into the Navajo reservation.) Who you are mostly likely to see up on the plateau are the cowboys that run cattle up on the there.

The easy way up the plateau is by one of three trails reached by driving up Fifty Mile Bench road from the Hole-in-the-Rock road. There is the Lower Route on the southern end mostly used to reach Navajo Point and East End Spring. Then further north is the Lake Route that seems to be used mostly by cowboys and people wanting to bag the High Point of the plateau. Further north is the Middle Route (go figure?) that is used by people doing the Hayduke and, probably, cowboys.

In June of 2020 in grip of a deadly heat wave across the west I climbed the Lower Route and hiked 9 miles or so to East End Spring where I setup a basecamp and spent a few days exploring before hiking back out. With temperatures reaching 100 degrees I never seemed like I had enough water to drink and was thirsty for most of the trip.

Then I was back in January of 2021 when I day-hiked up and down the Straight Cliffs three times in three days where the temperatures never made it above freezing and the lows were in the single digits. With an elevation gain of 900 feet, it is quite a climb and it is compounded by the fact that you start at over 6000 feet and climb up to 7400 feet above sea level, which led me one day to try to find my own way down instead of walking miles back to the trail. If you ever find yourself in that predicament do the smart thing and go back to the trail! It was the stupidest, most dangerous thing I did in my life!

In the summer of 2021 I was back at the Lake Route for another multiday trip up on the Plateau. This time it was a five mile hike across the plateau to Pleasant Grove Spring where I again setup a base camp and spent a day or two hiking around. While not as hot as the previous summer, it was still a challenge having enough water. Pleasant Grove Spring was just a tiny seep and my filter was quickly becoming clogged with the really fine sediment in it so I decided to pack up and head south to Pool Hollow Spring to see what it was like there. From there I figured I could head on down to Tank Hollow Spring before hiking out. It turned out that the water was unusable at Pool Hollow Spring and not being sure what Tank Hollow had to offer I decided to bail out since I was down to less than a liter of water and Tank Hollow would take me miles further from my car.

Here are some pictures...

Leaving after work only gives me a couple hours drive time the first day and I will camp out in the desert along the way, like here on the Black Rock desert
3.JPG

You have to stop and check out sights along the way, right? Here are the charcoal ovens and ruins of the old mining town of Frisco.

4.jpg
5.jpg

Campsite up on Fiftymile bench in January. Lucky for me it was a light snow year.

6.JPG

A cold night in the tent
7.JPG

Trail up in the summer and winter
8.JPG

11.JPG

Random views from the top
12.JPG

15.JPG

16.JPG

East End spring, there was water here but it tasted horrible and left my mouth dry, I ended up camping about a quarter mile away from here so getting water was a ½ mile trip. The water was better at Pleasant Grove but there was so little of it, I had to scoop it out cow tracks and wait several minutes to refill. At Pleasant Grove Spring I also camped about a ¼ mile away but it also involved dropping down into a canyon about 100 feet or so and then climbing out just to get water

18.JPG

19.JPG

Life up here is tough, even for the locals.

20.JPG

View across the vast Pinion/Juniper forest up on top
21.JPG

Signs of ancient humans. This sight doesn't look like much but the ceiling in the back was covered in thick soot from many fires.
25.JPG

In that soot covered ceiling a stick was wedged in a crack...to hang food from, perhaps?
28.JPG

An old corn cob and metate....

27.JPG

A lot of grooves on this large rock including the 2 of the front edge...
32.JPG

Several times I came across large areas with dozens and dozens of pieces of pottery strewn around.

29.jpg

This was another interesting site here, there was area with sticks 'plastered' into holes and sticking straight out. There was 5 or 6 done like this and it looked like they just used natural holes and there is no pattern to the sticks.

33.JPG

Another thought provoking site... this are all 'pecked' into a large flat rock, maybe they were going to smooth them out and grind something in them or they were for....?
30.JPG

Water anyone? Lucky for me I did not have to drink this, I just had to cleanup with it!

34.jpg

Pool Hollow Spring was infested with cows. These 2 had been trapped for a least a couple of days. I stripped down to my underwear to try to dig them out and all I was able to do was lower the water/mud level by 5 or 6 inches. I got a horrible sunburn on my back spending hours trying to help them. When I made it back to Escalante I reported them to the BLM since they would know the who the lease holder was for that area.
35.JPG

At some trailheads you have to worry about having your vehicle broken into or vandalized, what does this qualify as?
39.jpg

The drive home is always a great time to enjoy the scenery while cruising along 60mph, with heat and a/c at my fingertips and nothing on my back,,,

38.JPG

Looks like this plane tried to land on this (not so) dry lake and flipped over.
41.jpg

Or this Burning Man Vehicle abandoned on the Highway.
40.jpg

Now I can hardly wait for spring of 2022 to explore more of the Kaiparowits!

Last edited:
Love it. I've only been up there by vehicle, but have long wanted to do some backpacks. The book pictured below is not real easy to find but contains an incredible amount of info about the archaeological sites up there, it's like 400 pages long.2022-01-15 22.03.47.jpg

Fascinating stuff. I want to get up there someday, as I have an irrational attraction to harsh and rarely visited places.

Love it. I've only been up there by vehicle, but have long wanted to do some backpacks. The book pictured below is not real easy to find but contains an incredible amount of info about the archaeological sites up there, it's like 400 pages long.View attachment 106374Interesting title, and here I thought I was doing good with 1959 copy of ...
20220115_213350.jpg

By the way, did you ever make it to Collet Top Arch granary?

Fascinating stuff. I want to get up there someday, as I have an irrational attraction to harsh and rarely visited places.
It certainly is an area that few people see. Local cowboys, especially the older ones know it best. It seems most hikers are the people doing the Hayduke and they spend little time up on top, and there is a trail register at the top of lower route that has just a few entries per year and mainly going out to Navajo Point and back.

That leaves about 20 square miles of rarely visited country to explore.

Thanks for the great trip report. I have been interested in exploring this area more after hiking the Hayduke Trail in 2018. We had to hike 30 miles between water sources on Kaiparowits Plateau (Mudhole Spring to Last Chance Creek). It seems that many Haydukers skip this section because it is so harsh and has little to no water. I wouldn’t have missed it (or maybe my memory has softened it over time).

Nice, thanks for sharing! Love all the cool potsherds.

You are VERY lucky the rodent didn't chew on the cables as well. We now leave the car's hood fully open at night. If we have to leave the hood closed, then we leave some LED string lights or like under the hood at night (& a note on the dashboard to remember to remove the lights before starting the car up). Pack rats "supposedly" don't like light or exposed shelters. Leaving the hood open is done extensively in Arizona, even for 1 night, as they move in very quickly. Easy done with car camping, but it's a lot more challenging with several days of backpacking.

By the way, did you ever make it to Collet Top Arch granary?
yes, it's an extremely cool thing to visit. would be navigationally challenging without GPS since the terrain there is a bit nondescript. it's not at all a long walk from whatever point we found convenient to park at.

Next time I'd camp up there, this was a late season trip a few years ago and we were at a motel in Escalante, and I think it was about a two hour drive each way, this was a few years ago and the Smokey Mtn Road was in rough shape.

Fascinating! I love the photo looking out the window (of the ruins), and it's great to see all the evidence of past human activity up there. So many unknown stories...

Nice, thanks for sharing! Love all the cool potsherds.

You are VERY lucky the rodent didn't chew on the cables as well. We now leave the car's hood fully open at night. If we have to leave the hood closed, then we leave some LED string lights or like under the hood at night (& a note on the dashboard to remember to remove the lights before starting the car up). Pack rats "supposedly" don't like light or exposed shelters. Leaving the hood open is done extensively in Arizona, even for 1 night, as they move in very quickly. Easy done with car camping, but it's a lot more challenging with several days of backpacking.
Oof, I've never had this sort of problem in Utah, but I know in some places people just drive onto a big old tarp and wrap up their vehicle like a gift, I think that's in marmot country, those little devils are really hungry for cables and wires

Oof, I've never had this sort of problem in Utah, but I know in some places people just drive onto a big old tarp and wrap up their vehicle like a gift, I think that's in marmot country, those little devils are really hungry for cables and wires

Yes, at certain parking lots in CA you need to use the tarp.

We had a desert mouse move into the Jeep in fall of 2020 out on Old Sheffield rd for about a week. Luckily it didn't make a nest above the engine, because we left the hood open, but it was still a problem inside the car for 5-7 days- it chewed on everything, even unused plastic bags, small bottles of hand sanitizer, even bags with nothing eatable inside, etc. Even the strings of my hat, twice (!), what the heck? In fall they move in for a shelter. Who know's what else it chewed on, sigh....
In an attempt to stay better organized I used not only big bins, but also 3 drawer units. You pull out a drawer and things are super accessible and organized. But the closed drawers apparently had just a tiny, tiny crack so the mouse could access each drawer. I'm thankful it only went after oatmeal packs, freeze dried coffee packs and 50 cent TJ bars and not the $10 backpacking meals. It took 10 days before I actually located it, suffocated at the bottom of a laundry bag with smelly running cloths.
In 2021 we still used the 3 drawer units, but everything was inside square containers with a screw lid. Everything in the Jeep was inside bins of some sort. We didn't notice any signs of rodents in 2021. The garbage goes on top inside the roof box.

Every local person we meet in Arizona leave their hood open at campsites (campgrounds & dispersed sites), because they have all experienced packrats destroying for a fortune in the engine compartment. And it's also inconvenient & expensive when you are parked, camped remotely and have to get towed out.

the closed drawers apparently had just a tiny, tiny crack so the mouse could access each drawer. I'm thankful it only went after oatmeal packs, freeze dried coffee packs and 50 cent TJ bars and not the $10 backpacking meals. It took 10 days before I actually located it, suffocated at the bottom of a laundry bag with
well this explains how the mouse could accomplish so much -- once it ate some packs of instant coffee it became like superman!

Great trip Report! Interesting info from everyone on the mice and rodents. Thats always a worry when you are a long way from paved roads. Thanks for the inspiration to go check this area out!

Love it. I am always looking for southeastern or south central archeological reports like you guys showed here....
DM me if you have some beta on where I might get some.

Funny thing about Collet Top Arch Granary is that you can actually see it from the road.

The old town/mine/ruins of Frisco are worth stopping at if a person happens to be out there. It was rough living out there and the old cemetery seems to have a high number of young children in it. :(

That rat setup camp fast, gonna have to try the lights... the hood up is usually a signal for help but depending on the campsite it may work out.

Once had a rattlesnake crawl up under a vehicle and it took a few days to get him out!

The summer of 2020 trip had me broken down 30 miles down Hole in the Rock road.... That sucks but most folks out there are willing to stop and help if they can and it only cost me a day.

Been 'temporarily ' stranded several times over my life and they are ALL stressful affairs.

Lol.... For 45 years Never had the mouse problem in Utah or Arizona at trailheads.... Maybe they don't like Nissan wiring

Love it. I am always looking for southeastern or south central archeological reports like you guys showed here....
DM me if you have some beta on where I might get some.
They seem to be hard to find, and without knowing the exact name it can be almost impossible.

The one that regehr has is available on amazon right now for almost $70. You can the read the text of it online but the pictures/maps/drawings do not work for me. It seems to cover the northern half of the Kaiparowits while the one I posted covers only a portion of the southern end of the plateau. I like it for the maps, the one I have has 5 or 6 fold out maps that are about two feet long.

Lol..... People get peeved for giving locations out? and then talk about books with the locations on maps..... Lol

Last edited:
Hmmmm So don't mention any guidebooks either?

Don't want anyone peeved at me.

If someone wants rock art or arrowheads or ruins go for a walk and look around you don't need any books or maps or the internet to find them.

The author David Roberts talk about cool sites he has found, then led a select few that he trusted to those sites and then, what about those select few? Are they allowed to share the spot? And the people they share it with?

Maybe we need more stuff in museum basements, and do not believe they have been good stewards of items, from selling off items to flat out losing them, or allowing them to be looted.

I understand it is a touchy subject for many and .... well both sides of the issues have been debated ad nauseum.

I do not know, doesn't seem to be an answer, just opinions.

If you find something and do not want it known to the public, then don't share it with anyone.... your best friend, your children, your parents, your priest, your partner.

Again, I do not know what the answer is, it makes my head hurt to think about all the ways it can end up and ultimately whatever it is you are trying to protect can be damaged/stolen/whatever by a person that found it just like you, all by themselves.

If the masses on here want it taken down I will...

Fatboy...... Comment was not directed at you. It was a general statement as to what I see. I commend you for posting as it is public and on public land owned by all of us, good or bad, not for a personal museum. Besides.... You didn't give detailed coordinates.

A lot of people do get peeved at guidebooks as well...... They are what it says...guidebooks, one resource of many.

I for one will help anyone looking for something if I have any info on it wether it be hiking areas, recent ruins or ancient ruins / petroglyphs... if I'm asked for help.