unsettled weather in an image

I've been keeping an eye on the same gauge. What do we think the odds are that the Escalante is runnable at some point this spring?

I bet so, when a big warm spell hits boulder mountain!
I'm looking with the opposite eye: how much do I want to be crossing/wading this cold-ass stream in the near future

Nice pic.. shows a warming peak then the slowdown reflecting the snowmelt

is it warming or is it precip in the Escalante's drainage basin? I wasn't clear on that
Lol.... Remember I live in snow country so that's what I look at is as... May be rain there

Might look similar for sure - sudden surges, followed by slow runoff/decay. Had a series of rainstorms here in the NE. This is what the gauge looks like on one of the popular trout streams. Measured in feet. Big drop at the end is a cut from a dam upstream.
tmp.png

Is there a gauge further downstream? If not, any guesses on how much higher the river will be near Coyote Gulch? We're heading there in 3 weeks and hoping to go up to Stevens Arch and Canyon.

That's the only gauge between there and Lake Powell, plus it's upstream of Boulder Ck. The Boulder Ck gauge is no longer reporting. A rule of thumb is to double the flow rate at the Escalante gauge to get an estimate of the Escalante River flow rate downstream of Boulder Ck.

Is there a gauge further downstream? If not, any guesses on how much higher the river will be near Coyote Gulch? We're heading there in 3 weeks and hoping to go up to Stevens Arch and Canyon.
The other thing is, it depends on lake levels. In higher water, the lake starts to back up near the mouth of Stevens.

That's the only gauge between there and Lake Powell, plus it's upstream of Boulder Ck. The Boulder Ck gauge is no longer reporting. A rule of thumb is to double the flow rate at the Escalante gauge to get an estimate of the Escalante River flow rate downstream of Boulder Ck.
Helpful - thanks.

wow!
if anyone has insights into the likely condition of the Wolverine Loop Road and the Moody Road late next week, please let me know.
I was hoping to get to the Colt Mesa tanks to check on them, and then while there, hike down Choprock. but if these roads are blown we'll do something off the Burr Trail.

the latest GSENM road report has Wolverine as impassable but the info is 2 weeks old now https://www.blm.gov/sites/default/files/docs/2023-10/GSENM-Road-Condition-Report.pdf

wow!
if anyone has insights into the likely condition of the Wolverine Loop Road and the Moody Road late next week, please let me know.
I was hoping to get to the Colt Mesa tanks to check on them, and then while there, hike down Choprock. but if these roads are blown we'll do something off the Burr Trail.

the latest GSENM road report has Wolverine as impassable but the info is 2 weeks old now https://www.blm.gov/sites/default/files/docs/2023-10/GSENM-Road-Condition-Report.pdf
There’s already a lot of water out there even before this coming storm. I’d bet those tanks are plenty full.

I am headed for Stillwater Canyon tomorrow, I had planned on putting in last Thursday, taking out on Monday, but the wind was 25-35mph on the 4 days I would be on the water. No thanks. I don't mind rain, sleet or snow, but not wind. So Tex's agreed to my request to move my trip a few days to a put in tomorrow, taking out on Friday.
I think it was a good choice, sunny and nominal wind.

Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 2.34.11 PM.png.

I am headed for Stillwater Canyon tomorrow, I had planned on putting in last Thursday, taking out on Monday, but the wind was 25-35mph on the 4 days I would be on the water. No thanks. I don't mind rain, sleet or snow, but not wind. So Tex's agreed to my request to move my trip a few days to a put in tomorrow, taking out on Friday.
I think it was a good choice, sunny and nominal wind.
glad you can move the trip, that kind of wind would make a river trip absolutely miserable.
I'm planning to be backpacking in the Escalante area Thurs-Sun and it looks like I'm going to be eating a lot of sand.