UL Backpacking: A Thread for the Gram Counters

As someone who has recently got on the Lightweight/Ultralight bandwagon, I am late to this large discussion, but thought i'd share my two cents since i've been focused on saving weight lately.
A few things that have helped me shave weight the past few trips i've been on revolve around being very choosey about what gear I leave behind, how much food I actually need and balancing the line between being comfortable and going as Andrew Skurka says, Stupid Light.

Food: This was a pretty big thing for me to help me not overpack food that I am taking. NOLS has an incredible system that helped me think more about the food I am taking. I have never liked dehydrated meals, and don't remember the last time I ate one of them. But the NOLS bulk ration system is meant mostly for large groups of 4 or more that would be cooking together. However, I learned the most from it that you plan your meals as a Breakfast and Dinner only, with trail food as your "lunch". Typically I plan meals that put me around 1.25 pounds of food per day. Then I plan foods that are super high in calories and fat. This pretty much guarantees that I don't over pack food, and have too much that I end up bringing home.

Necessary Gear versus Luxury Gear: This was a hard one for me to figure out. Basically what I mean by this is when you are packing you can save a bit of weight by choosing how you want to pack your backpack. I've started using a garbage bag liner when I know weather is going to be bad. But I ditched my sleeping bag stuff bag/compression bag completely. I now use a 38 liter pack for 2-4 days. Stuffing your sleeping bag in the bottom of your pack saves weight cause you're leaving behind the bag, and allows you to maximize space in the bottom of your pack. Leave stuff sacks behind in general if it's just not needed. I leave behind the bag for my sleeping pad and use a rubber band to keep it rolled. I have also noticed that the last several trips i've been on i've taken a mini lantern, but I have been in my tent for maybe 10 minutes total before bed. Headlamp will suffice. Use the practice of separating out your gear when you get home with what did I use and what I didn't use and then discuss with yourself why you didn't use it. The just in case mentality is what has killed me on weight in the past.

Overpacking: This revolves around clothing more than anything. I got a huge kick out of a video from @Jammer about taking jeans on a big trip he did. That's what really got me thinking. Thanks Jamal! But really, I used to overpack clothing that I would find myself never wearing. Now I plan my trail clothing, then I take one insulated jacket, a rain jacket, a base layer, extra undies, one extra pair of socks (usually sleeping socks for colder nights), thermal pants for colder temps, and long pants. Cold nights I bring liner gloves and a beanie. I've been known to bring 3-4 pairs of socks, extra shorts, t-shirt, etc.

Certainly buying gear that is lighter weight will make a big difference, but it's not always necessary. Also keep in mind that a lot of this revolves around a warm season system, and 2-4 days on the trail. I'd make adjustments as needed.

Other things i've decided to leave behind to save weight are heavy things like a camp chair. I've got to the point where I don't mind sitting in the dirt or sand with the ants and bugs. In order to not be spammy either, but if you're interested I can share a video of a gear list I have for my 11 pound base weight system. But will share personally through DM instead of spamming people away from this forum.

I'm currently trying to jam eight days of food into an Ursack. This might not end well. I've already had to omit my beloved tuna packets and gummy bears because I just don't have room for them.

I'm currently trying to jam eight days of food into an Ursack. This might not end well. I've already had to omit my beloved tuna packets and gummy bears because I just don't have room for them.
Not the gummie bears! I've yet to have to use a bear bag or bear canister, and I fear the day that I do cause im afraid of how much it'll change how I backpack.

I've yet to have to use a bear bag or bear canister, and I fear the day that I do cause im afraid of how much it'll change how I backpack.

So did I...and I found that I actually prefer to use a bear canister in bear country. Yeah, it's a little extra weight, but I can deal with that for the added convenience of not having to hang my food.

I can only get 7 days worth of food in a ursack and thats very tight. Remember the first day of food doesn't need to go in the ursack. it gets eaten. You probably knew that

Alert:
Y'all do know that Ursack now offers the Ursack Major. Much larger, very little extra weight and $20 more money.
REI finally added them to their inventory and promptly sold out.
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

Reactions: Opi
I can only get 7 days worth of food in a ursack and thats very tight. Remember the first day of food doesn't need to go in the ursack. it gets eaten. You probably knew that
Just gotta leave room room the trash bag at the top!

Currently at 10 lb, 10 oz. Gonna try and cram another pound or so in there. It's all peanuts and dorritos and candy and instant potatoes with powdered cheese. I'm still mourning the loss of the gummies :( I'm bringing three packets of tuna and three packs of gummies for Day 1. I'm eating it all before I go to bed on the first night.

Reactions: Opi
I got a huge kick out of a video from @Jammer about taking jeans on a big trip he did. That's what really got me thinking.

Ha! Glad you found that funny -- I did too when I posted it and thus made the the disclaimer at the beginning. For those who haven't seen that video, that was over 10 years ago and my gear has definitely changed quite a bit since then. In fact, as that was my first "big" hike, my packing changed considerably by the very next trip (I used to take a clean shirt and new pair of socks/underwear for every day!) So... I'm a bunch lighter (and grubbier!) now. That said, I'm still a long ways from being considered UL with my luxury items and nearly 10lbs of electronics! :)

Haha ....... Get another Ursack

One thing I am testing out is using a sleeping bag with a Dryloft (or similar) shell. With the added protection, in my mind, I can justify not taking the usual bathtub style tent and therefore saving weight by using the "fast and light" option of my Hubba Hubba or just using a UL tarp overhead. If bugs are a concern I can take a cheep bug net as well. This takes my shelter weight down to 20-36 oz respectively.

One thing I am testing out is using a sleeping bag with a Dryloft (or similar) shell. With the added protection, in my mind, I can justify not taking the usual bathtub style tent and therefore saving weight by using the "fast and light" option of my Hubba Hubba or just using a UL tarp overhead. If bugs are a concern I can take a cheep bug net as well. This takes my shelter weight down to 20-36 oz respectively.
I own a 0 degree DryLoft bag and a Hubba Hubba NX. Using the tent fly only is on my to-do list.
Keep me posted.
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."