Uintas recommendations needed

Awesome stuff Yvonne. Wish I would've crossed paths with you up there. Glad to see another angle on that sunset in middle basin, it was un-friggin'-real.

Careful on learning to flyfish, you'll be addicted. I highly recommend a tenkara for the uintas. It is light, extremely simple, and only requires you to learn one knot. Seriously, you could carrry like 5 ounces of weight and catch fish all day. Lakes are a bit harder since you can't cast as far, but it's like cheating for the streams. Take a few flies, a parachute adams, mosquito, and a hopper and enjoy.

Awesome stuff Yvonne. Wish I would've crossed paths with you up there. Glad to see another angle on that sunset in middle basin, it was un-friggin'-real.

I can't believe we camped so close and didn't run into each other.
I spent most of late Friday afternoon at McPheters but haven't seen a single soul. I guess you came after I left and got back to my base camp.

That sunset was so amazing, but compared with my shots I've taken you had a way better angle up at McPheters.
I'm not unhappy, I tried to get the best out of my little point and shoot and badly missed my Nikon with the beloved wide angle lens.

Careful on learning to flyfish, you'll be addicted. I highly recommend a tenkara for the uintas. It is light, extremely simple, and only requires you to learn one knot. Seriously, you could carrry like 5 ounces of weight and catch fish all day. Lakes are a bit harder since you can't cast as far, but it's like cheating for the streams. Take a few flies, a parachute adams, mosquito, and a hopper and enjoy.

thanks for your input, but another great outdoor addiction isn't so bad, I guess.
I have to have a look on that tenkara.
I really want to try it out next time I'm up there. It was so tempting when I sat there on the shores and saw all the fishes swim by so close to where I was. Anyway, at least got my few seconds of fame when I got one without any equipment.
I've done that before way back in Germany, but it's so hard.
Time to learn the basics of fishing for future trips :)

here is another shot of that awesome sunset on Friday. It seriously was a nice one and a great reward for the almost lost day.
Unfortunately my point and camera can't reflect the moment in a proper way, but sometimes I don't need pictures because I have that moment in my memory

middle%20basin%20sunset-M.jpg

That (sort of) is still burning a hole in my soul, I'll have you know.... :(

I went through the same debate you did. Drove up to Uintalands Friday after work... saw the amazing sunset from the road. Saturday I woke up and looked at the gray skies and thought 'I don't know if I can stomach another rain slog on the north slope'.

Then I thought back to the epic sunset and decided to go for it. It took me almost eight hours to go the nine miles up to Allsop though because I had to keep stopping for storms.

I too was hoping to make a quick jaunt to the Uintas (Upper Provo) for a brief fishing expedition on Friday... the early rain and cloudy skies made me rethink the idea. Good thing the urge to go was too strong. It ended up being a beautiful early afternoon. One of the reasons I really like the Upper Provo River is because of the variety of fish it holds. Within 3/4 miles of stream I caught 5 different kinds of fish.

Brook Trout
Brook.JPG

Rainbow Trout
Rainbow.JPG

Brown Trout
Brown.JPG

Cutthroat Trout
Cutthroat.JPG

Whitefish
Whitefish.JPG

Didn't venture too far up that day. These were all caught in the vicinity of the Soapstone turnoff. Nowadays a couple more varieties show up in the Upper Provo - I'm sure Tiger Trout are gaining access from some lakes and the occasional Albino Rainbow shows up in the stream.

Okay, and again I need help!!! :whistle:
Things got worse and because my dad in law passed, I have to fly to Munich next week for a few days for the funeral.
It also means I had to cancel my complete Yellowstone trip. :(

I'm coming back to SLC on August 4 and have almost 10 days left where I can do a few Uintas hikes.
I'm thinking of two or three shorter trips, maybe 2 days each.

High on my bucket list are Allsop Lake and also Priord Lake. Are both of each good for a 2 night trip?
The trip of the Notch and Ibantik Lake @Udink did a few weeks ago is also really tempting to me, especially when going solo mid week again.
Eventually I do Kermsuh as an overnighter, too because I cut my last trip short due to the private issues.

Anyone interested to join me on a 2 day trip August 9-11?
I'm open to other areas in the Uintas, too.

I will post something in the Meet Up section, too so eventually someone can response to it.
As much as I love to go solo, but sometimes it is really nice to have company.

Man, I'd love to tag along...I haven't made it all the way to either of those lakes. Unfortunately, I'll be in Banff that weekend. :(

How about a 4 day Winds trip instead? We could go to Cirque of The Towers. It would be amazing! Let me know if you're interested.:)

interested - definitely!!! Absolutely
Having done any research about the Winds so far - unfortunately not.

The Cirque of Towers Route is definitely on my bucket list, originally planned for next year.
But if you wanna go, I would join you.
When exactly would you love to go?
I land in SLC the evening of August 4th and will have all my backpacking and camping stuff in my car parked somewhere at the airport.
So whenever you want to go, I would be ready.
I just need to get a bit of beta for this trip :)

interested - definitely!!! Absolutely
Having done any research about the Winds so far - unfortunately not.

The Cirque of Towers Route is definitely on my bucket list, originally planned for next year.
But if you wanna go, I would join you.
When exactly would you love to go?
I land in SLC the evening of August 4th and will have all my backpacking and camping stuff in my car parked somewhere at the airport.
So whenever you want to go, I would be ready.
I just need to get a bit of beta for this trip :)

Sweet! I'll send you a message so we can work out the details.